+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hopefully the girl doesnt get pregnant again any time soon. 3 generations of teenage parents, the odds are against her. Such a mess, no one wins. Very sad indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default **possible trigger**What age is too young to have children and be able to car...

Sadly generational teen pregnancies are so common. 17/18 is considered old to have a baby in a town near me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With alot of these teen pregnancies, i wonder how many are actually consenting to S.e.x ? Sadly i would suspect a percentage are a result of assault .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **possible trigger**What age is too young to have children and be able to car...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    With alot of these teen pregnancies, i wonder how many are actually consenting to S.e.x ? Sadly i would suspect a percentage are a result of assault .
    I also think how many girls do it to keep the boyfriend? He says if you don't I'll dump you sort of thing? I worked with teens last year and we had a huge discussion about this and I was surprised how many boys said it

Plus the old saying.. oh condoms stop the feeling etc
    Last edited by granny1; 19-04-2017 at 18:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that all states differ in therms of their child protection - and SA is notoriously bad at moving children through numerous placements - but I often feel that people with no experience of the system are being naive about the outcomes of removing children.

I'm a youth worker with children who have been removed from their families. I go through the ins and outs of day-to-day life with them. Many have experienced severe abuse and neglect, but for most of them, the most trauma in their lives is around the removal from their parents.

Obviously we don't want to leave children in situations of abuse and neglect...but until and unless we have a far more capable system to properly support children who have been removed, separating families needs to be an absolute last resort. It quite likely was in this case, but for those who think that removing the baby leads to better outcomes for the child, I wouldn't be so sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In this case the fact the made poor choices and proved they're not ready or responsible enough to raise a child. The first 5 years a critical in development. A small child doesn't have the luxury of time whilst the parents " work it out ". By the time they do ( if they do) often the path has been paved....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Obviously we don't want to leave children in situations of abuse and neglect...but until and unless we have a far more capable system to properly support children who have been removed, separating families needs to be an absolute last resort.
    And this is what grinds my gears, years after leaving. The same people that go on about the dept (any state child protection) not doing enough, are often the ones in the next breath whining about their tax dollars going to welfare. News flash people - your welfare money doesn't just go to supporting 'deadbeats', it goes to financing more workers, more training for those workers, more funds for foster carers and more staff to help this couple learn the ropes of parenthood while the baby stays with them.

If I was to tell people what it costs to house a child in residential care, where most teens in the long term system end up, your mind would be blown.

So next time you are at the polling booth, vote for the party that is willing to fund these type of services, particularly early intervention. Research consistently shows early intervention works and saves a packet. Yet the govts (all of them) would strangely prefer to spend hundreds of thousands per child than 5k to keep them and their families out of the system to begin with.
    Last edited by delirium; 19-04-2017 at 22:37.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),Renn  (19-04-2017),SuperGranny  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    100% with you.

I wish my job didn't exist, or that there were only a small number of us. What I do is even more expensive than residential care to run. It's seriously astounding the amount of money that goes into it. If just a fraction of that went into supporting families WELL...

I honestly think that a big part of it is just that; not wanting to 'waste' money on welfare. Believing "oh, those people don't DESERVE support", when it should be about what produces the best outcomes for the children.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (20-04-2017)