+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **possible trigger**What age is too young to have children and be able to care for yo

** possible trigger**

The story in a nutshell:
    14 & 15 year old parents to newborn, leave hospital before discharge to avoid their baby being removed by authorities.
    News reports say the home they were planning on returning to (one of their parents) had history of FV, drug use etc and was deemed not a safe option.
    Young parents and bub located. Baby allegedly removed into care immediately.
    Social media responses vary:
    Too young - bub better off elsewhere
    Too young sure - but perhaps the parents could be supported to care for their baby
    Remove all three children (parents and bub) and support them elsewhere
    Media shouldn't report - glamorises teen pregnancy
    Media shouldn't report - these are children. Their names shouldn't be plastered all over media.
    Media should report - this isn't a new phenomenon. But it is a public interest story.
    Leave the relevant services alone to do their job. They know the full story, we don't.

I've left links to the story out of the topic because I personally don't think their names should be publicised but google will help you find various media reports.

WDYT?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This case - I think the parents and their baby should be supported in alternative accommodation. Unfortunately, being a part of this system, I know that live-in programs for young parents are few and far between, with limited places. I don't see what benefit there is in the media reporting it.

In general - I don't think there's an age. Any capable parents, at any age, ought to be supported to live with and care for their children where possible.

I had my first at 23, and I genuinely think that I would have been just as prepared/unprepared at age 14. I don't think I changed a lot in those years; I was a pretty mature 14 year old. There are plenty of people in their 20s, 40s, 40s who shouldn't be parents. Whilst young age might be a 'risk factor' if you will, for being unable to parent well, it's by no means a determining factor.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),Frankenmum  (19-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (19-04-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (19-04-2017),TheGooch  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it was totally wrong of the media to report it and wrong to show their faces. They're still children and should not have been exposed like that.

I also think they should be allowed, with support, to raise their own baby. My DP's birth mother and father were both 15 and he was adopted out at birth (or two weeks roughly). That was in Sydney in 1974 though. I'd like to think we've come a little further as a society and could at least give young parents a chance if at all possible, as long as there's plenty of support.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A very sad story đŸ˜¢. I would like to see the teen parents be supported to raise their child in their own accommodation. Obviously they both come from very difficult backgrounds themselves which makes it very difficult for authorities. I suspect there are many teen pregnancies/births that are supported in the family homes of the teen parents. Many teens would be capable of raising a baby successfully with the right support system.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think my issue with the story is how the media have reported it. I highly doubt that the baby has been removed from their care simply because of their age. I know one report stated there were issues of DV and drug use at the home they would be discharged to, so obviously that is something that needs to be investigated properly.

The number one priority is the safety of the baby. I don't work closely with child protection in my work, but I do work with them and care for women/babies under protection orders. It is actually quite rare for a baby to be removed from the parents care entirely. In fact, the only time I have seen it is when the previous children were currently under a temporary custody order and had been removed from her care. Most of the time the baby will be placed into the care of a close family member if the baby needs to be removed from the custody of the parents. Which leads me to believe that there is a whole myriad of information being held back out of the media. As PPs have said, there are many teen parents out there who have been supported by the adults in their life to raise their baby. There's obviously something going on in the background here that isn't being reported that would affect and impact this being an option for them.

I think the amount of coverage this story has received is terrible for all involved, and I think the public speculation by the media and the rest of the country isn't doing any favours either.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (19-04-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (19-04-2017),Californication  (19-04-2017),Full House  (19-04-2017),Gentoo  (19-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (19-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the media should back off and let the appropriate authorities do their job.
    I'm sure a child would not be taken away because of the age of the parents, obviously it's a very sensitive issue and the media should have respected the privacy of all minors involved.
    Being so young I believe it is necessary for authorities to be involved as the young parents will obviously need support to provide a safe and stable home for the newborn.

What age is too young? I'd say anything under 18, after that your legally an adult, so legally your able to make adult decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with M'LadyEm, whole heartedly.
    I'm not a midwife, but I do work with families...babies aren't removed based on age alone. Look at the 16 year old friend who is pregnant with her second child who came out and spoke. She kept her baby.
    There's more to this story than we know...that's a given, and I fear that the pressure from media will mean these teens get to keep this baby when it is not necessarily in the best interest, and then the backlash that will come if something bad happens. I read a report yesterday where there had been an arsen attack on their house and the lounge room was set on fire. That raised some pretty big alarm bells to me.
    The media needs to stop reporting on it and let the authorities do their job. Babies aren't removed from care due to age alone so there are other reasons contributing to the removal of this baby...and it's not something done lightly.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (19-04-2017),Chippa  (19-04-2017),HillDweller  (19-04-2017),M'LadyEm  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **possible trigger**What age is too young to have children and be able to car...

What I don't understand is if the conditions are that terrible in the young father's household that it is not appropriate for a baby, why is it ok for the 14 year old dad to still be there?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-04-2017 at 05:03.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),BettyV  (19-04-2017),Californication  (19-04-2017),Frankenmum  (19-04-2017),rosey82  (19-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (19-04-2017),SuperGranny  (20-04-2017),Unschooling4  (19-04-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default **possible trigger**What age is too young to have children and be able to car...

I think the media of today have a lot to answer for. The pressure to get a story out there, to be the first service to deliver the breaking news is pushing the media into a situation where there is no duty of care, no fact checking,it's just rush, rush, rush.
    It was Thursday morning on the radio that I first heard of this story- hours after the three went missing from the hospital. It was the first or second news story in the news break. Surely there has to be a duty of care? Isn't there anyone left in the media who will speak for morals: "these are children having children, there are lots of underlying implications- at the very least let's not name them?" It's deplorable that common sense in the media has all but vanished.
    I do not believe it should have been publicised at any stage, as to the identities of the families involved. Their images certainly should not have been used. If it were different circumstances their names or images wouldn't be used to protect them, how is this any different?
    I don't believe it glorifies teen pregnancy- most teenagers have at least enough common sense to try and avoid teen pregnancy, and for the ones who actively seek it- they're going to do what they can to have a baby anyway, seeing someone else have a baby isn't going to have a great deal of an impact.

How young is too young? I'm loathe to put a number on it- there are great mums who had babies at 16 and **** mums who had babies at 45. I myself had my twins at barely 25 and I was a bloody mess. Maybe HHR classes these days should show 13/14 year olds a woman in labour- I know I watched a video of a live birth as a part of a health class at that age and everyone- including the boys- sat there with their legs crossed with a very uncomfortable look on our faces. Not a single person I went to school with in that year level had a teen pregnancy. Of course that could be due to a number of incidences,but I have always found that interesting. I know for me, seeing her so in pain, seeing the baby crown and the stretching that occurred, I was in no hurry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how much the media IS to blame for this becoming public though. My understanding is the police issued a plea using their names and provided photos.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017)