+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting a website shop

Has anyone made their own online shop website? I'm keen to start my own shop online but wonder if I'm gonna be way over my head..

I'm guessing I just need a website set up for me and to know how to upload photos and descriptions myself..
    And have the payment side of things set up for me too.
    Has anyone done it? Was it so hard and cost a fortune?

I didn't want to use eBay or etsy I want my own independent shop that i don't pay commissions to..

Any advise would be appreciated thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a platform called Magento, that's like a framework but you still need to do some graphic design but it makes it lots easier, but you do need a server guy to glue it all together for you but I don't think that's too hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice as such, I just want to give you a few things to consider:

* Apparently there is a method in getting your own website to come on the first page or even better first in a google search. I don't know what you have to do (possibly pay $ to google) but don't take it as a given that your shop will be high on the list.

* Payments - you could look at accepting paypal. At work, the checkout on our website is linked to our bank's online banking system. (In our case Westpac's Payway system). I would assume all banks have an online platform for businesses to use, you will need to make your own enquiries on what to do and you may find you can set it up yourself.

* Really research what you want to sell. There is lots of competition in online shops and you would need to be able to differentiate yourself from everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    what do you intend to sell? is it something you're passionate about? because starting an online store for the sake of it is a lot of work and cost. it's easy enough to purchase a domain, set up a site through a template based site builder like squarespace and have payments enabled. but generating attention and demand for your product is hard work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is your passion ?

Have you researched and sourced suppliers at all ?

Thought of a business name and spoken to an accountant about the financial side of things for advice?

Is there a niche market that you'll be targeting at all ?

I'd look look around in fb, etsy, your local markets are also a good starting pointing depending on what your going to sell