ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    Oh I'm not keen on open ensuites either! I've seen some where the bedroom is carpeted up until the bathroom tiles- wouldn't moisture be an issue? And surely an open bathroom would make your bedroom very cold in winter!
    Ours is very open, we thought it would be cold in winter which it didn't end up being, but we found the opposite problem, that the shower before bed heats the bedroom up too much in summer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another who thinks formal dining rooms are a waste these days. My mum has one which we used to use for birthdays etc., but since we've all had kids, she doesn't like them eating on the carpet (which is fair enough!) so we eat at the everyday dining table which is way more comfortable.
    When we bought our house, it had a small formal dining room on the back of the kitchen. We renovated our kitchen and turned the formal dining into a huge walk-in pantry and study nook; it's a way better use of the space!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    By activity area, do you mean for kids? We use ours all the time. More so DD than DS, but she's in there every day. It's off their bedroom, with the spare room on the other side. Not a huge area, but has their bookcases, toy kitchen, table for drawing which is all on the walls and the middle has space for floor play.

As they grow, it can either be a study/computer area or it will fit a 2-2.5 seater couch and TV for them as a kids lounge.
    Yeah for the kids, mainly for their craft stuff and a place to pack the toys out of the living area. Oh anplace to put dh computer. Good to see others use it and yes ws thinking a study area when older.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inner hippy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I posted in the other thread about this room but we have a combined lounge/formal dining with no wall separating them. It's something like. 4.5m wide by 10m long but it's hard to set up when 2 windows and a sliding outside-door take up wall space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find the open ensuite a tad off putting. I love my DH, there is little that is off limits in our marriage.... but I really don't want to be lying in bed drifting off to sleep while watching him take a dump! Eeekk!

I understand the purpose of a butler's kitchen more now, but isn't my style, each to their own. I'm not really into having he kitchen as kind of a dormant show room (that isn't meant in a mean way to those that have one, just doesn't fit with our family).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find the open ensuite a tad off putting. I love my DH, there is little that is off limits in our marriage.... but I really don't want to be lying in bed drifting off to sleep while watching him take a dump! Eeekk!
    My sister has one and their rule is no pooing in the ensuite lol. But that would be annoying having to go to the other end of the house to use the toilet, I'd rather just put a door on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My sister has one and their rule is no pooing in the ensuite lol. But that would be annoying having to go to the other end of the house to use the toilet, I'd rather just put a door on it!
    But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the ensuite? Convenience and privacy?? I don't get the whole reason behind this design? Why??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some friends of mine had an ensuite that had a great big open "look through" window type thing between the bedroom and ensuite. So anywhere you were in the bedroom you were looking at the toilet!?! Why??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Formal dining rooms

Theatre Rooms

Butlers Pantries (if you have people over for a dinner party, they kind of know you've prepped the food, do they expect mess, who cares if guests see a mess, it shows how much effort you went to. Mess is mess, it still needs to be cleaned up no matter where it's hidden. Plus I don't want to be facing away from everyone stuck in a pantry washing dishes.)

I like WIR's but only if they have adequate storage.

'Formal' lounge rooms to me are separate living areas away from an open plan area, giving families or couples a chance to be in separate rooms doing their own thing. But I don't like the idea of a formal lounge in the traditional sense of a room that has high quality everything and is off limits to kids all the time or only used by adults when entertaining or when guests are over.

I hate toilets in bathrooms! Especially if there's only one bathroom in the whole house or the ensuite can only be accessed through the bedroom). I don't want anyone having to take a dump while I'm in the shower or relaxing in the bath! Ewwww!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Formal lounge- we have an open plan house with a 2nd 'formal lounge' between the main bedroom and kitchen/living area. It's all open too though. I would rather have another bedroom there or an office.