ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agreeing with most here, although I would love a formal lounge room. A nice clean, carpeted, room with light coloured sofas and a fireplace, so that after the kids are in bed we have a cosy room to relax in.
    Would much rather a walk in pantry to a butler's pantry.

Would never use a formal dining room.

Don't think I'd really use a media room...but may change my mind on that once I have tweens/teens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a smallish house. One living, no dining only an eat-in kitchen, 3bedroom. I can't imagine having a bigger house.
    We have no robe at all, just a dresser and then a steel shelving/rack to house our uniforms. A tiny pantry and a bookshelf to store our bulk things.
    So all these butlers pantries and walk in robes seem crazy excessive to me. Same as multiple living rooms.
    I wouldn't mind a second toilet though. A husband, 2 toilet using boys and 1 girl who has just finished training and 1 boy about to start, means our one toilet has pretty much a revolving door on it ha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Formal dining/living room. We have a second living space that's meant to be the 'formal' lounge/dine. We don't use it. I can't see the point in having 2 couches/2 dining tables! In our other living room (a 40m2 space) is 2 small bookcases, piano, cat scratching post, and DHs keg fridge and microbrewery crap so it's just a waste.
    Also the study. We have a study (our 4th bedroom). I work from home 30% of the time and never use the study these days. Because I work between multiple places I run everything off my laptop and at home sit at the dining table (I can only work when dd is asleep anyway). We just don't need a separate room for this anymore and a study 'nook' would be a way better use of space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Eta. I really am coming around to the idea of a "European Laundry" too rather than a whole room.
    Omg don't ever do it!!! I had a proper laundry and now have a European laundry and it is awful. You have to leave the doors open in order to use the dryer. We had to upgrade the exhaust so the whole house didn't get coated in fluff but it's now super noisy upstairs when it's on. There's no where to put your dirty clothes while waiting to go in the wash except the tub - which means you can't use it for soaking or anything else. There's no where to hang delicates, I could go on and on but trust me European laundries are the worst!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So butler's pantry is about keeping the kitchen clean?
    Not really clean but if I'm cooking for say 16 people there is soo much stuff so it would be heaven to put it all away from the kitchen (where everyone sits and chats while I'm cooking) and all the pots and pans and containers and rubbish could be put out of site, especially when your kitchen is in the middle of the house or open plan which is the trend at the moment, plus having another fridge, dishwasher and sink would be great when entertaining

Thanks
    Reviews
    Formal anything, butler's pantry and theatre rooms. Oh...and wet rooms. No thanks!
    The Butler's pantry is the one that baffles my mind the most. I just don't understand why a kitchen needs another kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Agreeing with most here, although I would love a formal lounge room. A nice clean, carpeted, room with light coloured sofas and a fireplace, so that after the kids are in bed we have a cosy room to relax in.

Don't think I'd really use a media room...but may change my mind on that once I have tweens/teens.
    This is exactly what I wanted! Now we have it and we never use it! The doors literally stay shut all the time. At the end of the day when the kids are in bed we just flop down in the main living area as normal 😂 Maybe it will change as we get older...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post

I didn't think we would use our media room (we weren't looking for one but it came with the house) and OMG our older two kids use it all the time, especially when their millions of friends are over. It has sound proofing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    As the men call it "man cave". Why should they get their own space. What do we get ?

Formal dining. We have 1 eating area and if it's really nice weather we eat on the balcony which also encloses with cafe blinds
    My DH has what many would consider a 'man cave'. I don't begrudge it at all. It's a 35m2 lined, insulated, tiled and air conditioned workshop at the back of our garage. It houses his steel mill and lathe and hundreds of other tools for his race car and work. Our dd loves the workshop so it's a 'man cave' taken over by a toddler somewhat. He used to have his keg fridge out there until I convinced him to bring it into the house as I felt sorry for him having to go out there every time to pour a beer (he makes all his own beer)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Omg don't ever do it!!! I had a proper laundry and now have a European laundry and it is awful. You have to leave the doors open in order to use the dryer. We had to upgrade the exhaust so the whole house didn't get coated in fluff but it's now super noisy upstairs when it's on. There's no where to put your dirty clothes while waiting to go in the wash except the tub - which means you can't use it for soaking or anything else. There's no where to hang delicates, I could go on and on but trust me European laundries are the worst!!
    I could easily have a European Laundry. We have dirty linen baskets in our bedrooms, and just dump the basket of washing in the machine, then take it back to the bedroom. I soak anything that needs soaking in a bucket, and haven't owned a dryer for 4 years now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017),gingermillie  (17-04-2017)