+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default threatened misscarriage? maybe? tmi

I wasn't sure where to post this, thought here was the best place.
    firstly sorry for the long post.

I am 11weeks 4days pregnant
    Yesterday at around 12.30pm I got up to make the kids some lunch and as I was walking around the kitchen I could feel something coming out. I went to the loo and had quite heavy bleeding, like I would normally have on day 1 of AF. I went up to the hospital, waited an hour to see the triage nurse. Then another hour and a half for a nurse to take bloods. Then it was a further 2+hours before I saw the doctor. In that time the bleeding wouldn't have filled a pad but there was a fair bit. It was bright red, with mucous and some spots of very dark red. It was mostly when I wiped. The doctor checked my hcg at 6+4 it was 44,391 and yesterday at 11+3 it was 57,718. So it hasn't risen much in that month. The doctor didn't touch me, didn't check anything and just said go home and wait, it could be a miscarriage but it may not be. you just have to wait and see, I asked for an ultrasound and was told that its a public holiday and the machines were turned off. So I was sent home with nothing, he didn't even look for a heart beat. The bleeding has slowed to just when I wipe, not on the pad. Its still red but darkish in colour not bright red. I have very light cramping every now and then, but I understand that's totally normal. I still have nausea and my boobs aren't as sore as they have been but I also know that its normal for them to start being less sore near the end of the first trimester. I checked my cervix whilst in the shower tonight and it is high soft and closed. I keep telling myself that its all over and I'm just waiting for my body to expel trying not to get my hopes up and lose it anyway. I had miscarriage in October at 5weeks and that was bad enough. It harder this time as I got to see this bub on the ultrasound at 8+3 and everything was fine heartrate of 179bpm.

So really what I am asking is, has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's hard and it's not right that they sent you home with nothing but a wait and see. My advice would be to see your GP first thing in the morning and get a scan done to give you some more answers. I bled a lot through my last pregnancy and she is 7 tomorrow. Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different if you feel your cervix is closed that's a good sign and if no heavy cramping and increased bleeding it could be nothing but see your GP in the morning or if your worried it wouldn't hurt to go to a different hospital? Not sure where you live but the bigger hospitals may have access to an ultrasound or even a Doppler to check fetal heart beat I can't imagine how you must be feeling but try to stay calm I know it's hard but trust your gut with what's going on and it never hurts to get a second opinion X thinking of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou. Next closest hospital is an hour away in Canberra. I had light spotting a 5 weeks and that was scary enough but this was way more than spotting. I'm going to ring the GP in the morning and speak to them. Its just the unknown and that sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would go and see the GP in the morning. A Doppler is not reliable at that gestation to confirm anything. To an untrained person, they may not even find a fetal heart rate, even if it's there. An ultrasound, preferably transvaginal, is the only way to find out what's happening. Unfortunately on public holidays, most public hospitals will only call in the sonographer/radiographer for emergencies and as awful as it sounds, they probably don't rate this as an "emergency". (Not the same, but I sat in the emergency dept of a fairly decent size public hospital for 5hrs with a suspected fractured ankle only to be seen and told there was nothing they could do without an X-ray and the radiographer had gone home for the night so to come back in the morning)

Try and get to your GP in the morning and hopefully you can get in for a scan tomorrow somewhere. I had bleeding at 6 weeks and my GP rang around all the ultrasound places until someone could fit me in asap. I'm currently 35 weeks so all turned out ok in the end. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this, thought here was the best place.
    firstly sorry for the long post.

I am 11weeks 4days pregnant
    Yesterday at around 12.30pm I got up to make the kids some lunch and as I was walking around the kitchen I could feel something coming out. I went to the loo and had quite heavy bleeding, like I would normally have on day 1 of AF. I went up to the hospital, waited an hour to see the triage nurse. Then another hour and a half for a nurse to take bloods. Then it was a further 2+hours before I saw the doctor. In that time the bleeding wouldn't have filled a pad but there was a fair bit. It was bright red, with mucous and some spots of very dark red. It was mostly when I wiped. The doctor checked my hcg at 6+4 it was 44,391 and yesterday at 11+3 it was 57,718. So it hasn't risen much in that month. The doctor didn't touch me, didn't check anything and just said go home and wait, it could be a miscarriage but it may not be. you just have to wait and see, I asked for an ultrasound and was told that its a public holiday and the machines were turned off. So I was sent home with nothing, he didn't even look for a heart beat. The bleeding has slowed to just when I wipe, not on the pad. Its still red but darkish in colour not bright red. I have very light cramping every now and then, but I understand that's totally normal. I still have nausea and my boobs aren't as sore as they have been but I also know that its normal for them to start being less sore near the end of the first trimester. I checked my cervix whilst in the shower tonight and it is high soft and closed. I keep telling myself that its all over and I'm just waiting for my body to expel trying not to get my hopes up and lose it anyway. I had miscarriage in October at 5weeks and that was bad enough. It harder this time as I got to see this bub on the ultrasound at 8+3 and everything was fine heartrate of 179bpm.

So really what I am asking is, has anyone else experienced this?
    I am in the EXACT same position right now. I am only 9 weeks but just spent the day at A&E today aswell. No ultrasounds available here either. Getting a scan tomorrow but not feeling very hopeful. Hope things work out okay for you. If you start passing clots things arent looking good so go back to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry the er was so unhelpful, I do not understand how they could send somene home without even a scan 😔 I hope you get some answers very very soon and things are all ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry you are both going through this. Please make sure you get a scan done, don't let them tell you you've miscarried before you get confirmation from at least one scan. Beat down your GPs door if you have to. I would never want anyone to go through what I did earlier this pregnancy.

At 6wks I started spotting light pink blood, just when I wiped. It lasted less than 2hrs but I was freaked out so went to the ER. It was late Friday night so I'm not sure if that's why they refused to do the scan then & there or if there was another reason. They did give me a internal exam but couldn't see through the blood to tell where it was coming from. I was discharged with a referral for a scan to be done on Monday. The Dr said if I was going to miscarry the bleeding would come back heavier in the next few days and I only needed to come back if I bled through a pad in an hour or the pain was unbearable.

The scan on the Monday was only done on my stomach a strong HB was found, bubs measured correctly & there was no blood around the sac. We left thinking everything was fine and the worst was over. It was only later we found out the scan should have been internal to try and locate the source of the bleed.

Friday night rolled around again and almost to the minute I started bleeding again. Only this time it was a massive gushing bleed with cramps & clots. It was so bad I ended up calling an ambulance. I had bloods taken almost immediately but waited over 6hrs for the Dr. He came in and told me I had lost 750ml of blood, my HCG levels had only increased from 74,000 to 124,000 in 7 days and I had most definitely miscarried. He refused to do a scan, I asked 5 times & he did try and get someone from GYN to come and do it but they refused as they agreed with his diagnosis. So I asked for a referral for a follow up scan & bloods so I could make sure I didn't have any product retained, again I was told no. He was so adamant and there was so much blood I believed him.

For 5 weeks my 24/7 morning sickness didn't relent, I was still getting stretching & butterfly feelings in my uterus and I was really worried I hadn't expelled everything. I then get a reminder for what would have been my 12 wk OB appt (at a different hospital) that I had forgotten to cancel. So I kept the appointment, she sent me for a scan (the scan was done in the same unit) and we were all floored when a 13w+6 baby was seen kicking away.

At my morphology scan I had the same sonographer who tells me that 3 weeks after we found my miscarried baby, she scanned another lady who had been told by the same hospital she had miscarried (they also refused to scan her). Her baby had been found alive and well also.

I'm currently 38w along & due to have my little fighter next week.

Crossing fingers for you both that your babies are fine

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

Hetty  (18-04-2017),Phia  (19-04-2017),Rachel3072  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I had a similar thing happen to me at 14 weeks. Gushing bright red blood. Had scan and baby still ok. I rested for a week and bleeding continued for a while. I had a gorgeous girl. I had a private ob who could check things for me. They kept asking me if I had cramps and was passing clots, which I was not. I think that's a bad sign.

Wishing you best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DD3 I had bleeding like this in weeks 11 and 12.
    I'd go to your GP today and get a referral for an US to put your mind at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone.

My GP office opens at 8.30 so I'll be calling then. The bleeding is now only very light watery on the toilet paper. I'll see if I can get the doctor to ring thru to the hospital and push for an ultrasound today.