ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby carriers - Opinions please

We've got a hug a bub. It's too hot to have on properly and so I can't use it effectively and support DD's head. I've been thinking about either a Lillebaby All Seasons, or an Ergo Cool Air 360 carrier. I can't get to a store to try either of them on, so I am after your thoughts on these (or others if you think something would suit better).

Ideally, I'm after something that will breathe a bit because it's pretty hot up here for most of the year (but we do spend a few weeks in mid-winter in Newcastle), soft structured carrier (easier to put on and manage), several carrying positions, and will last til she's a toddler.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have the ergo performance ventus carrier. I've had it since dd was about 3 months old and she's now 21 months and looks as new! It lasts up until 20kg - I think the ergo 360 only go to 15kg and the forward facing position only to 10kg.
    I love the light mesh fabric of the ventus - we're in Adelaide so it gets super hot. It is so lightweight compared to the original ergobaby - I tried one of those and hated it.
    Dd is 13.5kg and I can still have her in front carry for about 30 minutes but I need to figure out back carry now!
    It is super easy to put on too.
    My only gripe with it is the fabric comes up a bit too high on the front.
    Have you looked at the new ergo adapt carrier? That's worth a look

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took a lillebaby to port Douglas when DD was 10 months old. It was great, there is a panel at the front where you can zip down to mesh. We got a bit sweaty but you will in any carrier where you have skin on skin. It's very "sporty".
    I don't want to confuse you but I've been using my fidella fusion all summer. It's a buckle carrier made from wrap material so is very soft but is still quite light. It can be adjusted from birth to toddler (unlike the lillebaby that just has 2 seat positions: tiny and huge) and worn on back or front. The buckles have 2 settings for when baby is small, then when baby can sit unassisted. I've used a lot of carriers (my sister lends me them to try) and this is the best one I've ever used.
    If you want to get just 1 carrier I highly recommend it!
    Although if I was going to buy an Ergo I'd look seriously at the new adapt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was considering the performance ventus. Good to know it is easy to put on. I'm so paranoid about DS running away midway through putting on a carrier. Something quick and easy is perfect.

I'm quite happy to look at other recommendations! I haven't got many options to explore in person here (read none, really, everything needs to be bought online). Would the fidella be ok in humid climates? We're not in FNQLD, but I struggle in the summer. Our temps don't get into the 40s, but the humidity is awful. I do really only want to buy one. Though I may reassess if I can't get DS out of wanting his pram all the time.

I just had a look at the info on the adapt online. It does look really good! I didn't see anything mentioning that the fabric was lightweight/breathable though. And that concerns me, because I really do need to have something I can use in summer here. Heck, I'm still wearing what I would in summer, and still getting hot through the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly I am so happy with the ventus performance. It has become even more useful as dd gets older she loves it! And it is literally a 30 second exercise getting it on, dd in and buckled up and importantly super easy to unbuckle and get her out.
    As you know I have a pretty bad back and pelvis injury (and I know you have too) and the ergo puts zero pressure on my back and pelvis which is a huge win for me. People are amazed that I can carry dd like that with my issues.
    This site has a comparison of all the ergobaby carriers (weights are in pounds though so need to convert)
    https://www.carrymeaway.com/learncen...parison-chart/
    The adapt is 100% cotton and lighter than the original ergo but heavier than the ventus.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie, thanks, it's good to know your back and pelvis hold up ok with it, too! I figured it was the one thing I'd just have to find out while wearing it, but you've saved me the worry! If I go with the Ventus, I'll be able to put DS in it too, since the back goes quite high up. He's only 11.5kg. I think DD will be heavier at the same age as DS, but hopefully will still be able to use a carrier (in back carry), if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    @gingermillie, thanks, it's good to know your back and pelvis hold up ok with it, too! I figured it was the one thing I'd just have to find out while wearing it, but you've saved me the worry! If I go with the Ventus, I'll be able to put DS in it too, since the back goes quite high up. He's only 11.5kg. I think DD will be heavier at the same age as DS, but hopefully will still be able to use a carrier (in back carry), if needed.
    For sure- I've still got dd going in front carry at 13.5kg but I really should move her to back carry as I'd be able to wear her for longer. Front carry is ok at this weight as long as I don't also need to carry heavy bags.
    I really like the design of the ergo for the way it takes weight off your lower back and it also gives the baby/toddler tremendous support and a great seating position - no dangly legs here! The difference between the ergo original and ventus was amazing in terms of weight and comfort.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Manduca or Tula. I rate that far higher than the ergo personally, as far as comfort, softness and ease of use. For example adjusting straps when bub is in a back carry is waaaaaaaay easier with a manduca or Tula than an ergo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to crash... but do all the Ergos do up with the bit behind your head/ shoulders as the last clip you have to do up? Sorry, i probably haven't explained that well... i have really inflexible arms/ shoulders and when i tried an Ergo in a shop a few years ago, i just couldn't manage to do that clip up... i used Baby Bjorns (mostly the One) last time but might look for something else this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Sorry to crash... but do all the Ergos do up with the bit behind your head/ shoulders as the last clip you have to do up? Sorry, i probably haven't explained that well... i have really inflexible arms/ shoulders and when i tried an Ergo in a shop a few years ago, i just couldn't manage to do that clip up... i used Baby Bjorns (mostly the One) last time but might look for something else this time around.
    I think that's pretty standard with buckle carriers. The new Ergo adapt possibly has shoulder straps you can cross though. Manduca and Fidella fusion can be used with straps crossed at the back
    So you're doing up a buckle near baby's bum on each side rather than 1 over the back of your shoulders.
    Might have to google a few videos it's hard to explain, but I think a carrier that can be worn with crossed straps might be a better option for you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (18-04-2017)