ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't especially enjoy it. I am much more comfortable parenting older kids. The more they can do for themselves (i.e. Getting dressed, making their own beds etc), the better I say!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do/did. With DD I felt like I finally found something I was good at and I loved parenting. She's 3 now and I'm finding this age hard. I love watching her little personality develop but the defiance drives me nutty. She wants to assert her independence at times when she can't and I find it frustrating. I hope when she gets a bit older it will be better.

DS is almost 9 weeks and I'm just loving the newborn stage even more. Except the nappies. I hate changing nappies. It helps he's a pretty cruisy baby. I thought I'd miss my independence, having just got some back with DD, but I'm really not. I love doing things/spending time with my little guy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Newborn is my absolute favorite. I Love the baby stage. Older kids and teens/adults are nice too but its not quite the same.

I had
    1 good sleeper
    2 ok sleepers
    3 shocking sleepers. The teen is medicated to help him sleep the 8 and 4 yr old still wakes 4+ times a night and are up from 4 or 5 every bloody day.

I hate school terms and dread the school run and the kids not being home. I am weird like that. I don't know how i will cope with last one going off to school everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Did you enjoy the baby stage?

A few posts have mentioned they struggled with age 3.
    I also really struggled when dd1 was 3, tbh I didn't like her much at all, but I assumed it was more the fact I was juggling a baby as well.
    I'll guess I'll know for sure when dd2 turns 3 which I prefer lol.
    Dd1 is 4 now and mostly a delight. Well apart from the non stop talking but it's a lot easier on the ears than whining/crying. And a 3 year old is still certainly much easier, less draining and more affectionate and independent than a newborn!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 18-04-2017 at 20:02.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Lilac07  (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i think that's the thing with newborns, it's all one sided and you get nothing back from them. plus they're sooo dependent it's hard not to feel stifled. being a mum is cool but i don't really get those that are saying they love it or they finally feel good at something. motherhood made me question every single thing about myself and made me feel totally unable to do much. again, probably all my own doing by putting too much pressure on myself, but yeah. the older ds gets the less i feel i know.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

DT75  (19-04-2017),rosey82  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love the baby stage, even though I've got two crap sleepers. My current baby is 10 months and has yet to sleep more than 3 hours at a time, but I still love the baby stage. They're so cuddly and squishy and delicious. I love the older stages too, but I'll be sad when i get to the end of my baby days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some days I love it and some days I hate it. Overall though, I am enjoying my baby (5 months) so much, I love looking at his cute face and making him smile and giggle with tickles and kissing him in his little neck cracks and smelling his beautiful soft skin and listening to him gulp down milk while he breast feeds.. so much I love about it. Worst part by far is the sleep, but we go through phases that are easy and hard, it's definitely a roller coaster. I have 2 older boys, and this is my last baby and I'm quite conscious of that so I try to enjoy it as much as possible and just appreciate every moment when I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love newborn through to around age 2. By the time I got to number 4, I was pretty good with babies.

Not so much age 2 and 3 - mine got headstrong overnight from around age 2.

Primary school years are fine, but teens. *shudder* My 16 year old is sending me to an early grave.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 18-04-2017 at 22:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read through all the comments above and I found it a little bit sad.. I think so many mums are way too hard on themselves. To those that really struggled or hated the baby stage, big hugs. It's bloody hard. I don't know who is responsible for spreading the misconception that babies are easy and it's always amazing and fun. It's not. And whether you have an "easy baby" or a "difficult baby", so many other factors are going to influence how you cope and how you feel. Some people are just lucky, they have no expectations, are flexible with what life throws at them, don't suffer from anxiety and happen to have a perfectly healthy always happy baby who sleeps through the night and whose poos smell like unicorns.. just don't feel guilty if that isn't you. And for gods sake don't compare yourself to other mums!

Just want to add, DS1 was the hardest baby, maybe because it was all so new, or maybe because it's just him and his temperament. He's now 5.5 yrs old and out of all 3 boys (the others are 5 months and 3.5 yrs), he is the hardest work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just want to add, DS1 was the hardest baby, maybe because it was all so new, or maybe because it's just him and his temperament. He's now 5.5 yrs old and out of all 3 boys (the others are 5 months and 3.5 yrs), he is the hardest work.
    I had a terrible time with my oldest. He was really hard work. Partially because he was a a very unsettled baby. Partially because I had a lot of ideas of what having a baby would be like - eg newborns sleep most of the day and wake for a feed and go straight back to sleep again, they actually sleep in a cot, I would have heaps of spare time to study, paint the house, makeover the gardens, write a novel you get the idea. Obviously that all went out the window and the measure of a successful day soon became getting dressed and having eaten breakfast before 12pm.

I definitely found my other kids easier because I had no expectations. I had the confidence to go with the flow, accept that I would spend some days just sitting and breastfeeding for hours, accept that I would end up cosleeping and carrying a baby around in a sling. Obviously they are aren't for everyone and a luxury I could afford as I was a SAHM for so many years. If I had to go back to work when mine were babies, it would have been necessary to establish some semblance of routine which I would have found very difficult.

ETA - my oldest has been the hardest at most ages and stages simply because it is all new. Except for the teenage years. My girls are way way harder than DS was. A teenage girl is a whole new ballgame.