ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Did you enjoy the baby stage?

I loved the little baby stage. Of course it helped that DD was a pretty good sleeper - and I only had 1 but I love that baby smell, having a little bubba sleep in your arms ...

Whereas my sister was not a baby person at all. She had 2 ( who have survived to adulthood ) but really enjoyed the older-child and teenage years much more than young baby stages

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes absolutely even in the throes of cruddy sleeper number two!

They are so sweet, soft and squishy. I can't help but smile even when I am so tired I'm crying when I look at my babies little faces.

I love babies and teenagers and all the stages in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I prefer older kids. DD is almost 3 and I enjoy taking her out and having conversations with her. I like knowing she will 'probably' sleep through most nights and DH can take her out all day. No more nappies! She can have sleepovers at grandmas house, I don't worry about her at daycare when I go to work. I also like hanging out with my 7 & 5 year old niece and nephew - you can do fun stuff like swimming with them and they can play independently.
    I find the little baby stage incredibly draining, just having a little person on you all the time - no escape from the bath/dinner/bed grind with a BF baby. When DD weaned I felt like I got my freedom back.
    Doesn't help that DS is a very attached baby and not a huge fan of sleep.
    For me I think about 6 month is the worst: the broken sleep and constantly being touched starts to wear thin and I'm yearning for a bit of space back.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not particularly! Of course I loved my baby. But not because she was 'a baby' if you get what I mean When I see other peoples babies I'm the least clucky person ever - I have no desire to hold them or coo over them! Whereas I LOVED the toddler stage and everything afterwards. From about 12 months on, I'm good

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-04-2017),rosey82  (17-04-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I prefer older kids. DD is almost 3 and I enjoy taking her out and having conversations with her. I like knowing she will 'probably' sleep through most nights and DH can take her out all day. No more nappies! She can have sleepovers at grandmas house, I don't worry about her at daycare when I go to work. I also like hanging out with my 7 & 5 year old niece and nephew - you can do fun stuff like swimming with them and they can play independently.
    I find the little baby stage incredibly draining, just having a little person on you all the time - no escape from the bath/dinner/bed grind with a BF baby. When DD weaned I felt like I got my freedom back.
    Doesn't help that DS is a very attached baby and not a huge fan of sleep.
    For me I think about 6 month is the worst: the broken sleep and constantly being touched starts to wear thin and I'm yearning for a bit of space back.
    Pretty much this. I am now able to look at videos of babies on fb or whatever and think "of I want to cuddle that baby so much!" But my own children- although well loved and cared for- were so high maintenance that the baby stage drove me nuts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my daughter, I didn't enjoy the baby stage at all. She was a good night sleeper but terrible during the day. I also put a lot of pressure on myself. She started speaking really well just before she turned 2, and suddenly life got a hundred million times easier. So looking back, I enjoyed her so much more once she could communicate so liked the toddler stage much more than the baby stage.

However I have a 9 day old now and am absolutely loving it. He's so fat and squishy and sleepy. I think it will get a bit less perfect once hubby goes back to work and all the responsibility is on me but at the moment I'm loving the baby stage.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I loved the little baby stage. Of course it helped that DD was a pretty good sleeper - and I only had 1 but I love that baby smell, having a little bubba sleep in your arms ...

Whereas my sister was not a baby person at all. She had 2 ( who have survived to adulthood ) but really enjoyed the older-child and teenage years much more than young baby stages

I'm not a baby person at all, never have been, but I'm actually loving the baby stage with my own baby!

Like you, I have a good sleeper and only one - I guess that can make a big difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I didn't enjoy the baby stage at all. In fact I struggled so badly that we are one and done.
    Dd was a very wanted IVF baby but she was a difficult baby - bad sleeper, reflux and I was totally unprepared for it. During the day for 6 months she wouldn't sleep longer than 35 minutes and until we got her on reflux medication at about 10 weeks she spent hours and hours screaming each day. She refused to ever take a bottle so I was permanently attached to her and for the first 6 months couldn't go out without her for longer than 1-2 hours. For months on end I only slept in 3-4 hour blocks which took its toll. I cried a lot.
    My mental health, marriage and existing dd wouldn't cope to go through all that again.
    Dd is now 21 months and I love this age!! From about 8 months she started to sleep better day and night, could get around by crawling/cruising, relied on me for BF less. Then life got easier again when she started walking at 16 months and now she's got about 100 words and very communicative.
    When dd was first born I yearned to go back to work so I could get away from her. It's the reverse now at this age - I so wish I didn't have to work so I could hang out with her. She's so much fun and so adorable so I definitely prefer toddlers to babies so far

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-04-2017),rosey82  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not the newborn stage... I enjoy it from about 6 months, once they are sitting & eating solids & their little personalities are showing through, with sleep getting easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'm enjoying the baby stage more than I anticipated I would. Everyone told me these horror stories of 'no sleep whatsoever for 6 weeks straight', and 'baby will scream for hours and hours for no reason at all', and 'you won't have any time to shower or clean or cook'. I think because of these horror stories I had envisioned a war zone.

In reality, we've had a couple of days where I've struggled to leave the couch because she's been pretty demanding, but even on these days I've been able to shower and do a basic clean of the house. I think I'm getting more sleep now than I was when I was pregnant, because I'm lucky enough to have a baby who sleeps in 2-3 (and recently a few 4!) hour blocks at night. I can see how it might be different if you have a baby who is fussy at night.

In all seriousness, I think the fact I had the lowest possible expectations for what it would be like is the reason I am actually (mostly) enjoying it

I do treasure the little bit of 'alone time' I get though!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Simil  (17-04-2017)