ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The weirdest thing

Last week my elderly neighbour passed away. Joan was in her 70's but honestly seemed so full of life (always on the go, in the garden, cycling!) I found it be quite a shock. Her daughter told me 2 days after it happened when I saw her collecting her mail. I haven't told my kids because I don't think they'll take it very well- they are used to seeing her in the garden and they're quite fond of her. She loves her flowers and tells (told )them often to be careful with flowers and let them grow. This was the only time she was semi stern with them and they always listened to Joan.

As bad as this may sound I didn't want the news about Joan to upset them over Easter so we were waiting to tell them about her passing when school is back.

So yesterday my two oldest were out in the back garden (5&6 yrs old) and I went out to hang out the washing. They were collecting flowers and putting them in a pile and then pushing them through the fence to Joan's garden. I said what are you doing guys?

Dd1 said "Joan told us we could find her flowers today"

So I said "Joan's not home today girls. And she doesn't like it when you pick flowers does she? She'll get upset"

Both kids said "she is home!" In a way that you know your kids aren't lying and oh my god I felt the hairs on the back of my neck go up.

I said show me where she is. They looked through the fence and said they couldn't see her now.

At this point DH came out to start cutting the grass and asked what they were doing with the flowers and Dd1 said "it's ok dad Joan said it's ok to pick them now and guess what, she'll miss us because she's going away for a long time!"

So yeah WTF?! DH and I pretty much silently freaked out there and then.

I am STILL freaking out about this tbh. My 6 yr old is pretty articulate and I could just tell that they were both convinced they'd seen her! No real point to this post I guess just wanted to get it out there and not telling anyone irl because I don't want people to think I'm nuts!! Lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (17-04-2017),sparklebug  (25-04-2017)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Oh Lord. Goosebumps.

If that is what your kids insist they saw, I would believe them. And I would think it was really lovely that Joan cared enough to come and say goodbye to them.

Condolences on your loss- I know she wasn't very close but we still feel the effects when a friend- no matter how tight- passes, and it stays on our mind for a while.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

yadot  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I so loved reading that, and am sorry to hear of your loss, especially when it comes as a shock. I think it's beautiful Joan 'spoke' to the kids, she obviously was very fond of them and chose to speak of something that was a known thing between them.

They say kids are very hypersensitive to those that have passed and their presence, and it would definitely be a little freaky to know she's passed, but the kids say she spoke to them and by all accounts said her 'goodbyes'.

Those flowers will always mean something special now.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-04-2017),SuperGranny  (26-04-2017),yadot  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think this is really lovely. Joan obviously thinks a lot of your girls.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

yadot  (17-04-2017)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a pretty sceptical person when it comes to this kind of thing but this made me feel really warm and fuzzy.
    Whatever the explanation, if there is one, it's lovely that your girls will always have this positive memory of Joan who obviously cared about them very much.
    I'm sorry for your loss and I hope whoever moves into Joan's house is also kind to your family x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

yadot  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry for your loss. I think it's lovely Joan came to say good bye. We had the same with DH's Grandfather. He died before our eldest was born, and I used to think I felt him around us sometimes. Then when DS started to talk, he told me about a tall old man who came to visit him sometimes. I knew it was him. I was very close to my Grandmother as well who died when DS was little. I don't feel her as much now, but I think she also used to pop in to check out the kids were OK. I like to think family who have passed are watching over us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

yadot  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sorry for your loss. This was one awesome story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought could the funeral home of possibly come to pick up or something like that hence the explanation of your girls saying they saw her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah goosebumps! It's said that kids of that age are perceptive and as they get old they start to rationalise what they see/hear so that ability disappears. I'm not sure I believe but wow it's hard to explain stories like yours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    Just a thought could the funeral home of possibly come to pick up or something like that hence the explanation of your girls saying they saw her
    I didn't think of this. I don't think so though, they can only see into her backyard unless I'm out the front with them. They weren't with me when I found out.

DH says they must've heard us talking and invented the story but that doesn't make sense to me at all. And I know they didn't hear us talking about it!

Weirdly too they haven't mentioned anything about Joan at all. My kids usually bombard me with questions about everything. Strange they just seem so ok