+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    IMG_1492514139.596646.jpg

This is size house we want to build.

I want to switch a few things around. On top of this there will be a granny flat. As in laws will be perm living on property. But I want a mudroom too but off the carport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

Wow! @monnie24, that's massive!!!! Could the in laws not just live in there with you?

How many sqm is it? Who is the builder? Even on the most basic spec that's costing close to a $300k build.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I wish estates were like that where we live (smaller block sizes). It's all stupidly big houses on big land and then they run out of space quickly and just bulldoze more trees to clear land. And everyone just seems to build these big, cheap, stock standard houses with cheap materials because it's all about bumping up the resale value...meanwhile our kids generation won't be able to afford to buy a house if we keep going the way we are.

We are on 480sqm and it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't call our block of land tiny at all, in fact it's one of the larger blocks of land in our suburb. Lots are 300sqm. We have a very small front yard, share a driveway with our neighbour, have a double garage and room to entertain or run around outside out the back. If we want more space (say to play soccer) we just walk down to our local park. I have never thought our yard was too small.
    Oh they do that here too! Just squish everyone in like sardines.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What State is this in? Is that a 1 storey or 2 storey house? In SA they're really quite strict on the % of land you can build on. I've never seen any development plan that allows for any more than 60%. So that would be 180sqm on a 300sqm block. And if you were to build a 2 storey, you would need pretty much a 1 metre set back on the top storey which can make it hard to get more than 2 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs.
    This is Victoria. And a 1 storey house. It's ridiculous! Hardly any yard at all, houses squished right up next to each other, no privacy, often short fencing. There's lots of different estates though so others might have different rules. Some a stricter than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! @monnie24, that's massive!!!! Could the in laws not just live in there with you?

How many sqm is it? Who is the builder? Even on the most basic spec that's costing close to a $300k build.
    Nah I would want them to have personal space as ds has ASD. They have there own belongings etc. we already own the land so that's cutting Cost hoping to get it down to lock up and we do most of it. Haven't chosen a builder but think we will go river gum mainly because they have lots eco friendly options I found this lay out online I'll just play with it bit more . I can't find anywhere online design our own lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Fair enough, it's not for everyone

If you haven't chosen one yet, get a floor plan done independently first then take it to different builders to quote. I'm not sure of Rivergum's reputation, but I've certainly not heard anything bad about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fair enough, it's not for everyone

If you haven't chosen one yet, get a floor plan done independently first then take it to different builders to quote. I'm not sure of Rivergum's reputation, but I've certainly not heard anything bad about them.
    Definately go with this. See an architect or even a drafts person with your ideas.

But I can tell you rivergum are a bunch of ********* to do work for. They rip their trades off massively and pay them peanuts. There have been a lot of issues them they just aren't advertised. They also use the cheapest Chinese products in their houses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Definately go with this. See an architect or even a drafts person with your ideas.

But I can tell you rivergum are a bunch of ********* to do work for. They rip their trades off massively and pay them peanuts. There have been a lot of issues them they just aren't advertised. They also use the cheapest Chinese products in their houses
    Oooh is that the builder you told me about a little while ago?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @A-Squared could of been. They don't owe money though. Dp is only doing a big job for them now because its external work only with a fast turn around. You know the dog boxes that builders do these days. The pokey 2 storey aren't much wider then a car. Those ones

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive heard nothing but bad things of fairmont homes but i guess it depends. my sil just built with distinctive and the house was HORRIBLE. no kidding her cornices and skirtings housing trust looked better. and they still havent hung her front door a nd shes living there (i mean her proper one not just like her temp one) the gaps in the skirting were like 5 mm gaps. im not good with materials but i think i could of done a better job lmao!