+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    This is what we are downsizing to. It's going to be perfect for us as a family of 4.

IMG_1492409967.486487.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017),Full House  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

OMG 500+sqm!? I'm picking my jaw off the floor.

Have you built that big purely for resale @PinkIsTheNewBlack? Or will you use all of that space?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 17-04-2017 at 16:49.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Wow 500sqm! 😮

We are renting an 80sqm unit atm. And planning on building something 100-120sqm. Sometimes our current house feels too big!
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 17-04-2017 at 16:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow 500sqm. Huge. I know how big that is. Dp built one for a builder (********) and it was 550sqm over 3 levels and had an elevator in it. He built it for $500k on the cheap side and has now listed it for sale at 2.3million. We did the frame and cladding only. Who ever buys it they will realise soon that the prick used the cheapest cabinetry & fittings he could find

Thanks
    Reviews
    500sqm is crazy. I would downright refuse to build a house that size. No matter the cost to build.
    I have a friend building a house atm. They went to an architect and are building a house that allows for natural cooling and heating, so that the need for heaters and air conditioners can be drastically reduced. I really wish the big stock standard massive houses were designed better...rather than max size on a low budget which means they are often hot boxes in summer, and freezers in winter, requiring all year round cooling/heating.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-04-2017),AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    500sqm is crazy. I would downright refuse to build a house that size. No matter the cost to build.
    I have a friend building a house atm. They went to an architect and are building a house that allows for natural cooling and heating, so that the need for heaters and air conditioners can be drastically reduced. I really wish the big stock standard massive houses were designed better...rather than max size on a low budget which means they are often hot boxes in summer, and freezers in winter, requiring all year round cooling/heating.
    My 450 m2 house is fine - full of louvre windows, 6 kW solar power, insulation everywhere and lots of breeze as we are next to the beach. No issues with heating or cooling.

What's wrong with having a big house if that's what you want..?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    There are project builders that cater to this market which are the same price as other builders.

We are building a house with passive heating and cooling, the largest windows are north facing and we have a courtyard in the centre to allow for north facing windows at the front of the house as well. We also have really good airflow through the house with doors and louvre windows in the right places to allow for adequate cooling. We've also added underfloor heating/cooling with a heat pump which is the most efficient way to heat and cool a home at the moment. That paired with solar hot water and solar panels, upgraded insulation, and rainwater tanks for the entire household usage makes for a really green home.

If you can find the right block (ours in north/south) and the right builder it can be done 😊

Eta our new place is 258sqm so on the bigger side but our current 3bed 1 bath house is maybe around 160sqm on a 300sqm block and it is TINY. Every room is used heavily and we are packed in like sardines with only 1 kid - I literally do not have a room for my baby due very soon due to DH needing an office and DS room being way too small for a cot and a bed. I can't wait for our new place to be finished!!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 17-04-2017 at 18:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our old house was 450 and was fine. Yes was big, but didn't find it too overwhelming. We had 4 bedrooms, study, media, 2 living areas and another small communal space. Our outdoor area was too small though. We had lots of feedback when selling it- many people wanted that fifth bedroom, larger outdoor space, slightly larger bedrooms etc so was interesting to hear the feedback. Our new house will be in the same suburb.
    I wanted around the 350 mark but hubby just got more and more extreme. I doubt we will use most of it, but yes for resale will hopefully sell for a profit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With young kids though I would rather smaller house/larger yard, with older kids probably the opposite as I know teens will want their own space etc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, my comment about the big houses and heating/cooling wasn't aimed at anyone on here...more in relation to what I see IRL.

As for what's wrong with a big house...lots really. The carbon foot impact is fairly significant - in high density areas it often means clearing bushland to create estates...which are typically large houses on big blocks, and then the area gets full so more land gets cleared. I feel for the generations that follow us. We are over populating and people are living for longer and longer...housing is going to be a big issue. We should be planning for the future, and building more sustainable housing, new estates should be planning to house more than one family of four on 700sqm blocks.
    On an individual level, it doesn't effect me if a family of four wants to live in a huge house...on a wider scale I worry about the impact this has on our future generations and it saddens me that as a country we just don't seem to care.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-04-2017)