ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    We are thinking of building and I want to build something small. 2-3 bedrooms max. I wouldn't want to clean a giant house!

Eta. Our logic is that we get a big block, build a small house, have a small mortgage so we have financial freedom and then down the track can extend if we want to.
    I hate to say it, but it is probably cheaper to build the bigger house at the outset. My house is 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2 toilets and 1 living area. I've had quotes for an extension - not really an extension, just finishing under the house with a 5th bedroom, 2nd living area and 2nd bathroom plus some internal stairs. It is eyewateringly expensive (think not much change from $200k).

ETA I've decided to stick with the smaller house. My younger two will have to put up with sharing a room. While it would be nice to have a second living area when the kids have friends over, I prefer having a smaller place.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 16-04-2017 at 23:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Have you ever watched tiny house living OP? It's on Foxtel, not sure where else it's available.

There's also a doco called Minimalist on Netflix.

If you watch a few eps of tiny house living and the documentary and perhaps also do some reading about tiny house and Minimalist living, you will quickly realise that what your husband has said he likes is far to freaking big for a family with 2 kids and what you have said you like is still vast and not what I would call cute and cosy.

Yes you'll be cutting out a portion of the market who want giant houses if you decide to sell, but you'll be gaining a portion of the market who don't want giant houses.

Our current house that we built is 268sqm (on 490sqm block) 4 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3 living areas, open plan kitchen dining living. My God is it big! I'm always cleaning, like ALWAYS. It's just too big.

IMG_1492347309.235962.jpg

We are downsizing to a 178sqm house on a 290sqm block and it has 3 decent sized bedrooms, a 3 way bathroom, ensuite, open plan living dining kitchen, study/playroom.

We won't be in as good an area, but I'm so excited to be 'downsizing'. Beyond excited!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I hate to say it, but it is probably cheaper to build the bigger house at the outset. My house is 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2 toilets and 1 living area. I've had quotes for an extension - not really an extension, just finishing under the house with a 5th bedroom, 2nd living area and 2nd bathroom plus some internal stairs. It is eyewateringly expensive (think not much change from $200k).

ETA I've decided to stick with the smaller house. My younger two will have to put up with sharing a room. While it would be nice to have a second living area when the kids have friends over, I prefer having a smaller place.
    Atm we're basing it around what we can afford right now. We are looking a large blocks (1 acre +) and most in that size that we can afford aren't level. So we're thinking of putting a modular home on it (to save site costs and avoid excavation). By the time we would considering extending (if ever), we will likely be in a much better financial position. I'm not so concerned with the potential expense in 10 years time...I mostly don't want to be cleaning rooms that don't get used for 10 years until we need them. That's just our situation though. I do agree it would be cheaper in the long run to build something bigger now...but we can't afford to build a 4 bedroom house!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    @A-Squared they did have some tiny house shows on free to air a couple of months ago. Not sure if they still do as I don't watch a lot of TV.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    @A-Squared they did have some tiny house shows on free to air a couple of months ago. Not sure if they still do as I don't watch a lot of TV.
    They're on Chanel 94.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're on Chanel 94.

Ohhh do you know what day and time? I would be very interested in watching them. I don't want a big house but need it to be functional so if I can get some ideas on how to downsize that would be awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're on Chanel 94.
    Or 351 or 62 or any other number! It depends what your TV makes it. It's called 9Life. I found this out when I reprogrammed the Tv and it was gone. My favourite channel gone. Then I found it with a different channel number.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Have you ever watched tiny house living OP? It's on Foxtel, not sure where else it's available.

There's also a doco called Minimalist on Netflix.

If you watch a few eps of tiny house living and the documentary and perhaps also do some reading about tiny house and Minimalist living, you will quickly realise that what your husband has said he likes is far to freaking big for a family with 2 kids and what you have said you like is still vast and not what I would call cute and cosy.

Yes you'll be cutting out a portion of the market who want giant houses if you decide to sell, but you'll be gaining a portion of the market who don't want giant houses.

Our current house that we built is 268sqm (on 490sqm block) 4 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3 living areas, open plan kitchen dining living. My God is it big! I'm always cleaning, like ALWAYS. It's just too big.

Attachment 89779

We are downsizing to a 178sqm house on a 290sqm block and it has 3 decent sized bedrooms, a 3 way bathroom, ensuite, open plan living dining kitchen, study/playroom.

We won't be in as good an area, but I'm so excited to be 'downsizing'. Beyond excited!
    I would be super excited to down size from that, too! That is a HUGE house!
    I know when we had a big house we spent money on filling it...when we downsized it felt so good to purge and reduce the amount of stuff we owned. We're much more careful about our purchases now.
    I also really love the closeness a small house brings us. When we had a big house we tended to separate in to different parts of the house, where as now we have more time as a family (and yes, my teen spends a decent amount of time in their bedroom, but when they are out they are with us...not sitting in a different living area away from us).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yea this is the huge problem. The difference between the house I like and the big house is 45k in the big picture it's not a huge amount. ( looking at lock up without upgrades, which I will be doing regardless of house) But on the market the difference is over $150k easy.
    Extending or renovating is so expensive unless you know people or can do some work yourself which we can not.
    Realistically it's not going to be a forever home because I dream of a little apartment by the sea.
    But DH worries about the kids and how on earth they will ever afford to move out. We would prefer to have the kids with us until they are financially stable so they don't waste their money on trying to survive on their own.

Thanks for everyone's input.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by inner hippy View Post
    Ohhh do you know what day and time? I would be very interested in watching them. I don't want a big house but need it to be functional so if I can get some ideas on how to downsize that would be awesome.
    You would need to look at the tv guide. There are a few of them - some where tiny houses are being built and others where people are buying them.