+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    These houses sound absolutely massive to me too!

Apparently Australian houses are the largest in the world, and have grown 40% in size in the last 20 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...821-1j5ev.html

ETA : it seems US just overtook Australia for house size in 2016.
    Madness. I lived in a big house once...cleaning it sucked! There is no part of me that desires to go back to a big house.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    F

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house is probably too big but works for us - 5 bed, 4 bath, 3 living, 1 study. We don't use one of the living areas and could live with one less bedroom and bathroom.
    The perfect house for us would be 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2 living areas and a study nook. I would look for:
    - Large bedrooms
    - Large and awesome master ensuite
    - A small simple ensuite off one of the other bedrooms for guests
    - A large open plan kitchen, dining, lounge - kitchen must be awesome
    - Separate living area / media room that can be closed off so when the kids have friends over the door can be closed to contain the noise and it could be used as an office or extra bedroom or whatever for the next owner.
    - An extra large garage for storage of 'stuff'
    - The master bedroom to be located on the same level as most of the other bedrooms. People don't like to put their baby/toddler on a different level. Even some older kids get scared and want to be near the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just thought of another thing - our garage is tiny, it's a double garage but we can barely squeeze our cars into it (2 SUVs, no choice in the matter a DH has a work car which is huge) so DH usually parks in the driveway. We are in a newly built area and the whole street is the same, everyone parks at least 1 car in the drive.
    So look at extending the garage even by a couple metres to make life easier!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Just thought of another thing - our garage is tiny, it's a double garage but we can barely squeeze our cars into it (2 SUVs, no choice in the matter a DH has a work car which is huge) so DH usually parks in the driveway. We are in a newly built area and the whole street is the same, everyone parks at least 1 car in the drive.
    So look at extending the garage even by a couple metres to make life easier!
    Totally agree with this! We had a single garage at our old house but it was 1.5 x the depth of a standard garage so had lots of storage space. We now have a standard sized double garage and if we put both cars in, we would have zero storage space around them so only park one car in there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (16-04-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We are thinking of building and I want to build something small. 2-3 bedrooms max. I wouldn't want to clean a giant house!

Eta. Our logic is that we get a big block, build a small house, have a small mortgage so we have financial freedom and then down the track can extend if we want to.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 16-04-2017 at 20:52.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house is 265m2, excluding the garage. We built our house 7 years ago, & I built for what I wanted, and what I was happy to pay in repayments, not for resale. I think it's silly living in a house you dont like, and paying a mortgage you can't afford, just for the sake of potential resale one day. I mean sure, I had resale in the back of my mind - but ultimately if I'm building, it's to my needs, not to the person I might potentially sell it to ine day. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 living & 2 bath, but our house feels specious because our main living area is large, as are the bedrooms - I hate tiny, poky little bedrooms that can only fit a bed and a wardrobe. We used our own plan, and I was so careful and thoughful about the use of space - I didnt want any wasted apace in my home.. I love our house, it suits us perfectly. We are a family of DH & I + 4 kids, & we fit really well.

ETA - our home is single story, & on a 900m2 block - perfect size backyard for us. Our 4 kids are still young, I do think we will outgrow the house when they are preteen/teens, & we plan to extend or sell and buy something bigger so each child can have their own room by the time they are teens.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 16-04-2017 at 20:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think it's silly living in a house you dont like, and paying a mortgage you can't afford, just for the sake of potential resale one day. I mean sure, I had resale in the back of my mind - but ultimately if I'm building, it's to my needs, not to the person I might potentially sell it to ine day.
    Many people build with the specific intention of reselling and making a profit. For those people building the type of house that sells well in a specific area even if it's not personally your style makes financial sense. Obviously if selling is not the priority then building a house you don't like is silly. Just depends on the situation.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-04-2017),cheeeeesecake  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are looking at building our forever home , we are a family of 4 with plans to add 1 more. The plan we had drawn up is around 230m2 but 50m2 was a patio (which may be made smaller). So living area around 180/190m2. Its 4bed, 2 bath with a small 'activities' area off the bedrooms. We are looking to make the house feel spacious but the actual area not that big. I dint want a big house. We are doing that by raising the ceilings, having open plan kitchen, living dining, opening out to back deck etc, little to no hallways so no wasted space.

Think about your lifestyle and go from there. We spend most of our time in our living areas, we don't watch much tv so a media room is pointless. So how that feels and a good indoor outdoor living feel is important to us. Even as our family grows up I want the main family space to be the focus of our home.

I don't understand the 'need' for huge houses. I think if your design is smart, well thought out with clever storage that is the most important thing. Bigger isn't better imo.

Good luck, it's very exciting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Many people build with the specific intention of reselling and making a profit. For those people building the type of house that sells well in a specific area even if it's not personally your style makes financial sense. Obviously if selling is not the priority then building a house you don't like is silly. Just depends on the situation.
    you're right, very true - I guess I was referring to my own situation but didn't really make that clear/ word it correctly. I know people who have repeatedly built a house to sell quickly - usually to investors for rentals - with small blocks, cheap landscaping, 4 bedrooms, etc - many features that they wouldnt pwrsonally choose themselves, but are good for quick resale.