+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We use our "theatre" room frequently, and probably will more as the kids get older so we can have our own space away from teenagers! We got a couch with a pull out bed so it also functions as a temporary guest room. I wish I had a scullery in the kitchen, but that's probably the only regret about this house. We have an open plan kitchen, dining and living area which leads out on to the alfresco which works really well when we're having a party. My parents have a larger house but more separate rooms, so it's a bit tricky if they're entertaining quite a few people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally think a 5 bedroom + study is too large for a family of 4, but a lot of people want that and it's comfortable for them. I agree that if it's too much for you, there's no point overcapitalising on a massive house, but I wouldn't go so far as to build a "townhouse" on a block designed for a larger dwelling, especially considering resale.

Fwiw, our house is about 320sqm but is only 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathrooms, with a formal living area (media room). It's a very open plan house and has huge rooms, so while it's really big, we don't have lots of spare rooms that aren't being used. Definitely perfect for our family of 5 and im pretty certain it will be our forever house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I couldn't tell you the m2 of our house as we didn't build it, but it's big. 5 x 2 with 3 living spaces. It's a farm house, so the owners weren't trying to fit it on a block. We have a kids wing off one side of the kitchen/ dining area that has 3 double bedrooms, with a kids play area in between, big bathroom, separate toilet, storage cupboard and big laundry with lots of storage.

The kitchen has a WIP and a large area in front for dining, then a small living area and fireplace. Off the other side is another bedroom, massive master with WIR and ensuite (also separate toilet inside which is a must if you ask me) passage leading to formal entry and lounge room. The double garage is also enclosed with a kitchenette which we use as a media room. I think the previous owners were going to make it into a granny flat, but didn't put the ensuite in.

I like having a big house personally, and we use every room. I work from home and use one of the bedrooms as my office and stock room, which I cooking do in our old place. We came from a small 4x2 where the smallest bedroom barely fit a single bed and chest of drawers!

Here the kids have their beds, desk and BIR's in the rooms and still have space to play. Toys mostly stay in the toy room so the lounge isn't full of their junk. We have enough storage space which we didn't have in our old house and I actually find it easier to clean. And even like now when I have only done essential cleaning for 2 weeks as I've been sick, it doesn't look dirty and cluttered. It's also good having the toy area as that can eventually be the teenage retreat when the kids are older and the fights start over what they want to watch v's what we want to watch.

But that's us. You need to decide what will work for you. When we first moved here, I didn't like it wasn't open plan like our old place. Now I love it! If people come over and the toy room is a mess? All I need to do is shut the door to that end of the house! The only thing I don't love about this place is the kitchen. It's small compared to the rest of the house. I'd like a bit more bench top. And more power points. It's has 2 doubles and one for the fridge and dishwasher, and that's it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are currently building a 4x bed 1x study, 2x bath 2x living house. We are just about to have our second child and doubt we will have more. DH does a lot of work from home as will I in the future so we needed a dedicated study. The other spare room will be used as a playroom so I can shut the mess away and as guest room when needed. We have a large living/dining/kitchen area leading into the alfresco/outdoors which will be great for parties and entertaining and we have a reasonable sized backyard as well (800sqm block).

We have lot of built in cupboards in the kitchen, laundry (which is spacious and very well set out) and the linen press is huge. We don't have a WIR or WIP but we have stacks of room in the builtins in the bedrooms and the kitchen is more than well equipped so I'm ok with that. We have a separate enclosed toilet in the ensuite and main bath as well as we don't like toilets combined in the same room as the shower/sink/bath. The bedrooms are large too and will be big enough for larger beds for teenage boys when the time comes.

We are building to stay for a long time so we built a bigger design and got a lot of the features we wanted so the house will grow with us through older kids and teenagers and not feel too small. We have our own part of the house and the kids will have their section which will be handy when they are teenagers with friends over etc, but probably will be used less in the next few years when they are small. We are thinking long term though.

Keep looking at designs until you find what is right. There are so many builders, take the time to find the design that will suit your lifestyle and family. Try not to get sucked into deals they offer (free aircon, upgrades etc) and focus entirely on if the design and the builder suits your needs, and don't let people bully you into a sale! Take your time is the best advice I can give you.

Good luck it's a really exciting time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally would never buy a house with multiple living areas/a theatre room etc. They just don't interest me at all.
    We don't have family stay over often. We have a three bedroom, one bathroom (two toilets), open living area house with a single garage...occasionally it feels a bit crowded (when we have different groups of kids sleeping over who want their own space), but our rooms are double bedrooms so it works...we just could have an extra bedroom so that each child has their own room. As it currently stands, DH and I just hang out in our bedroom when there are teens/pre teens around who don't want us cramping their style. DH and I have considered getting a tv in our room, but it hasn't happened yet.
    I'm Aussie born and bred, but I don't really understand how we became a culture who feels they 'need' such massive houses.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2017),cheeeeesecake  (16-04-2017),gingermillie  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a one story 4 bed, 2 living, 2 bath, seperate dining. We really don't need the space. In fact we actually only use 2 bedrooms, one bath, kitchen, dining and one lounge. We live outside mostly. Have family of 5

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'm Aussie born and bred, but I don't really understand how we became a culture who feels they 'need' such massive houses.
    These houses sound absolutely massive to me too!

Apparently Australian houses are the largest in the world, and have grown 40% in size in the last 20 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...821-1j5ev.html

ETA : it seems US just overtook Australia for house size in 2016.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 16-04-2017 at 15:23.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-04-2017),Full House  (16-04-2017),gingermillie  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

For a long time Australia was building the biggest houses in the world.

We have 5 bedrooms (the spare bedroom is also the office) and we only have one living room. We have a huge back verandah that is 3/4 enclosed and could easily be fully enclosed to make another room.

We are going to be selling later on in the year and buying elsewhere.

My essentials when looking at houses are:

1.) 4 bedrooms (or at least 3 bedroom houses that have a flexible floor plan so a second living area or garage can easily be converted to a 4th bedroom)

2.) Two toilets and I would prefer toilet separate to bathrooms. I'm not fussed on ensuite but most houses I look at have one.

3.) an office/study is essential as my husband is self employed and needs a space for his business

ETA - we are a family of 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a single story, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 living room house for a family of 4. We use the whole house except for the second bedroom which is set up as a study but we also have a study nook, so don't use it. Even though we use all the rooms, it is so annoying to clean, I feel like it takes hours just to clean the floors. I think if we could trade one of the living areas for more storage space, we would; my 4yo likes playing in her room or wherever we are. In saying that, as she gets older if we're still in this house, we will probably all appreciate the second living area so our kids can be out there with their friends, rather than locked in their bedrooms which I don't like (especially once they start dating).

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our house is 4br + 2 bath + study + kitchen/ WIP, dining, lounge as one large area, and then a second lounge.
    We have heaps of cupboards in the laundry plus a big linen press in the hall.
    For us, being out of town, big pantry was a must, as was storage. Also extra bedrooms, because when family come to stay, then often stay for a few days at a time. If we ever have another bub, 4 bedrooms means their own room, plus a dedicated spare room which I love.
    Our second lounge can be closed off from the other areas so could always work as another spare room.
    If anything, one day a bedroom might need to be an office for me. The study is taken up with farm stuff, which is totally fine, but it means I don't have a place to work.
    Our bedrooms are small though. I personally didn't rate big bedrooms given we only sleep in ours, so each has a built in robe and enough space for a QS bed and 2 bedsides but that's about it.