+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

Are you building with a plan to resell down the track or to live in permanently. We built a couple of years ago. I wanted to go smaller but as we plan to sell at some point we had to the take the buyers market into consideration. It depends on different areas obviously but we found that most buyers around here want at least 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, study/ office, open plan kitchen/ living/ dining with additional separate living area, a butlers pantry for extra storage and a media room so that's what we built. It's a killer to clean and if we are ever in a position to build our forever home that we don't have to worry about reselling I would go slightly smaller and leave out the media room as we never use it. I understand where you're coming from but it really does depend on if you plan on selling later as there's no point spending all that money if you plan to sell and make a profit but you don't build something that will appeal to the market.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you do build off the plan you can extend the building if the rooms are too small for you. We added 1.2m width to our living area and it wasn't expensive at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many children do you have? How often do you have guests staying? I think the decision on size and layout is very dependant on your lifestyle.

We have 5 bed, 3.5 bath massive dining (12 seater table) lounge and seperate rumpus/family room.

Things I really love about our house:
    A massive laundry with loads of storage
    Butlers pantry (love having all my "mess" in there and my kitchen looking tidy)
    A toilet that's seperate to bathroom.

We entertain frequently as well as having frequent overnight guests. We don't really use a lot of our lower level apart from laundry and wine cellar - bathroom, 2 beds, huge rumpus... I find that a quick vacuum and mop/wipe over every few weeks is enough. When be bought this house 4 years ago we intended to quickly fill it with kids so we happy got a much bigger home than we needed.

I think getting bigger than you may need is a good option. It would be terrible to want more room in 3 years time after such a big investment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house is 336m2, we have 2 kids. Our main living areas are really good in size, it has 4 bedrooms which I wish were a little bigger. For us it's a pretty good size because most of the rooms are generous in size (two living areas, separate dining+kitchen, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath). Ours was a custom build so we did the plan to suit our needs. Even though the house plan your DH likes is a comparable overall size that plan wouldn't work for us because there would be too many rooms within that space.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Our house is certainly bigger than we need - but the things I like

- 2 living areas. This is a must for many families - as it keeps 2 areas to be especially if you have older kids
    - large living areas
    - large bathroom and plenty of storage

1 of the bedrooms we have is very small though - and due to the layout, that is the one we use for DD ... if I were re-designing the house (we built it years ago) I would change the upstairs layout.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you do build off the plan you can extend the building if the rooms are too small for you. We added 1.2m width to our living area and it wasn't expensive at all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like you need something in between if what you both picked out.

We have a 4 bedroom. I wish every other day that we had a spare bedroom or a study plus a bigger garage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If u don't need extra room don't get it.

But we def need a 4 bedroom, office/study, toyroom. Then I like seperate dining and lounge I hate open living spaces I hate food in my eating areas like te smell

I would prefer large yard over big house and seriously what's point big house if you work 9-5, kids school etc your not home to do anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have 2 young kids, my husband works from home and we have relatives who visit from country areas/interstate.

I think our ideal house would be 4 bedrooms, 2/2.5 bathrooms, study and 2 living areas.

Our current house has 3 bedrooms (we use one as an office), 1 lounge, kitchen/dining and 1 bathroom. That's it. It's fine really, and we don't need anything else, but the extra space would be nice especially as the kids get older.

You've really got to decide what works for your family. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 260m2, 4 bedrooms, study, 2 bath, 2 toilet (1 with own vanity), massive laundry with lots of storage, lounge, dining, big kitchen, rumpus/family room which also has a kitchen, big storage room (3.5x3.5). Outdoor entertainment area, balcony, double garage, then there is the lawn area, pool and lower backyard which is 90m2 of veggie patch and fruit trees. Built in 1978 but I've renovated it all. Personally I'd have a smaller house and yard for less cleaning and maintenance and when it comes time to renovate again one day it'll cost me less