+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

We have decided we are building a house and things are moving along quickly. I went to several display villages as we are just building a standard of the plan home not custom. The choice is huge and I have no idea what house to pick. DH picked a house which is 320m has 5 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, a theatre room and study. There is no way on earth we need a house that big and I'm not cleaning that thing. So I found a 220mhouse which is "cute and cosy" has 4 beds, 2 baths and looks more like a large townhouse. Now everyone says I should be building bigger and that the house is small and I'm making a mistake. We are building double storey.
    Your thoughts? Similar experiences? How big is your house?
    Just an FYI we only have 2 kids and not having more. One teenager and one in primary.
    Last edited by Janesmum123; 16-04-2017 at 07:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe compromise? From a re sale point of view don't go too small but of course you have to be happy! Most families today want minimum 4 bedrooms, plus study, 2 bathrooms , 3 toilets, separate family room, 2 car garage, tons of storage , big eat in kitchen - the theatre room seems to be an in thing but honestly the people I know who have one only use it maybe a few times a year

Our house is only 3 bedrooms , separate lounge, dining and family room and we need more space, there are only 3 of us but we need a extra room at least for a guest room as we have relatives stay over quite often and we need a home office plus I'd love a huge laundry and more storage (butlers pantry is my dream!) we have a double garage but have boats, motor bikes, push bikes, 2 cars and half of Bunnings in it so DH would love a bigger garage and work shop so it just depends on what is a must have for your family

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (16-04-2017),Wise Enough  (17-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't listen to what anyone else is saying, if you don't need the room don't worry about it. The only thing I would say, if you do plan to sell it one day, look at the resale on the large house verse the small one?
    We have been house hunting ourselves lately and have picked a house that would be the same size as your DH choice, for us we need the bigger house though with 4 kids and hopefully a 5th one day in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (16-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I echo everyone else's sentiments - make sure you have what you need, and take resale into consideration. 4 beds seems to be the norm nowadays, and a second living area. I personally don't think you'd need a theatre room and study - 4th bed could serve as study for you guys, but you could also include a study book. Second living you could set up as a theatre room if you wish. I don't think it's about the size so much as having adequate storage and as you get further down the process your builder will be able to discuss all of these options with you

We are 2 adults, 1 school aged child and 2 cats and we live in a 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 living. Very small first home however we do have a lot of garaging / outdoor storage. We're hoping to build in 3-5 years and ideally we'd go for what I've described - 4 bed, 2 bath (extra toilet downstairs), 2 living.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How big is your house? And your thoughts?

We are about to build, and designed our house ourself.

The things we found important to us were: master to the back of the house, 4 bedrooms, media room (we use our current one for watching media every day - only use the one near the kitchen while cooking dinner), a flow from kitchen to dining to living to alfresco. The final things that were a must have was storage and maximising backyard space.

The media room isn't open plan, so when the doors are shut it can potentially be used as another extremely large bedroom for the next owners (it will be our overflow for our guests of our spare rooms are full). It is opposite the kitchen, so not really segregated areas, but matches what we are looking for.

Our back yard will be at least 12m long by 16 m wide, plus the sides. We were willing to compromise with the segregated living spaces, to give us the boosted backyard space

Storage at our current house is a killer, so the butler pantry, walk in linen, broom closet, and huge master Hollywood closet were my deal breakers.

If you can get a house with the right flow, you can get the "feel" you want, with a smaller pad size. This will allow you to get a bigger alfresco area (hopefully) which is done right can make the house feel bigger again too!

Work out a few must haves, and build around that!

We know that when it comes to selling in future, you need to have a couple things to draw people in, and we found it easier planning on drawing people who want things like us! It's unlikely that we are the only people with priorities like ours. They may be in the minority, but it just takes the 1 buyer
    Last edited by Lanabananah; 16-04-2017 at 08:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 4x2 plus a full sized study, a media room AND a kids retreat. So 7 "rooms". We are a family of 5. It is too big. Its a pita to clean. I wish we had of bought something smaller!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mckel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    IMO your DH is looking to go a bit too big for your needs.

I would be looking at 4 bedrooms, 2 or 2.5 bathrooms, and an extra living area. Forget the theatre room/study/extra bathroom.

We have been renting a small one level 3 bedroom 1 bathroom home, which is starting to feel too small (and we are only a family of 3). I don't mind the 3 bedrooms, but it would be more liveable with an extra toilet, more storage and a second living space.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are 2 adults 1 toddler not having more kids. Our house is 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living areas (a combined kitchen/dining/family room and a separate living room). We also have a double garage and a 30m2 workshop for DH. The house itself is about 160m2 plus the garage and workshop.
    I like the size of our house overall but really we never use the second living room. That may change as dd gets older. We use one bedroom as a guest bedroom and one as a study but in rarely use the study these days so a study nook would suit us better. I wish our bedrooms were bigger as they're quite small. I'd sacrifice one bedroom to have 3 bigger ones!
    320m2 is way too much to clean! I think more important than size is the layout. Find a house layout that suits your need now and as the kids get older. If you're building 2 storey I'd look at a layout with master bedroom ensuite and second toilet downstairs with kitchen and living space and 3 bedrooms, bathroom and living room upstairs for the kids

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I'd go the 4 bed, 2 bath. I would be looking at which has the better layout and biggest bedrooms.

I just had a quick check - ours is 165m with 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 family rooms. This is more than big enough for our family of 4. We can barely keep it clean - I dont think I could keep anyrhong bigger.
    The only thing I'd change about my house is I'd want the 4th bed to be bigger - its kind of small, I'd want a walk in robe for us and eventually I will renovate the kitchen so I can have a massive pantry and we d have the space there for that. But otherwise our house is the perfect layout for us

17. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We built the smaller house thinking no way will we need a theatre room and study! 4 bed 2 bath. We built off the plan and for the most part love the layout of our house.
    Do go to the exact display home of what you want to buy and check the bedroom sizes especially, my DDs room barely fits a king single, bookshelf and chest of drawers, the laundry is tiny &so is the second bathroom.
    Fast forward to 2 kids later and the extra space would be handy, we've decided that we'd like to be in something more spacious by the time our kids are teenagers (currently 6 months & 3 so a while yet).
    Pluses are that because we have a smaller house we have a huge backyard with a big shed, hills hoist and room for backyard cricket.
    Minuses: as DH works from home we have no spare room for guests. They have to stay on a sofa bed in DH's office or a blow up bed in the lounge. As my parents live in the country they often come to stay and it would be nice to have a guest room.
    The TV is in the main living area & there is a constant battle between DH and DD about cricket/footy vs Peppa pig. If we had a theatre room he could watch his sport in peace (I refuse to have TV in bedrooms), I can only see this getting worse as the kids get older.
    The toys are in constant danger of taking over the living area, a lot of my friends use their theatre room as an activity room for their kids.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post: