ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,929
    Thanks
    6,375
    Thanked
    5,438
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Just wondering why people got so offended in a thread about how much they had in the bank?

    Circumcision threads often seem to get pretty fiery.
    I vaguely remember that, but can't remember why people got offended. I do remember someone had a very healthy bank acct, so it could have been jealousy . I know I can only dream of having that much!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,210
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    7,256
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    must say the hub is really quiet lately. i posted pretty hardcore last year then took a bit of a break but have started browsing again now, for no particular reason. all the threads that seem most densely populated are the ivf threads, following by the DIGs. i'm finding it hard to maintain interest tbh.
    This is me too, there were times I could have responded to some threads but knew it may offend or not be in the majority so I didn't bother, it might be the right thing to do but yes becomes very mundane

    Can there not be a debate type section for the hardcore debaters!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,269
    Thanks
    3,965
    Thanked
    2,325
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always get a bit of a giggle with the threads where somebody has been spotted in Maccas using free wifi without a purchase .... not even a soft serve .... for shame ....


    Causes strong reactions from some posters !!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,238
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked
    787
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This is me too, there were times I could have responded to some threads but knew it may offend or not be in the majority so I didn't bother, it might be the right thing to do but yes becomes very mundane
    But do you not think it's a shame that people now feel like they can't have a (respectful) opinion for fear of offending or being in the minority...is keeping quiet really the right thing to do? I don't know? There's no spark in life if we all just toddle along doing the same thing, nodding and agreeing while silently thinking otherwise...I actually find that a bit sad. The pendulum has swung too far...

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),Phony  (19-04-2017)

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5,507
    Thanks
    12,427
    Thanked
    6,021
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Where has all the controversy, passion, debate and discussion gone?

    I also thought some threads were closed prematurely. I was really frustrated by that.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-04-2017 at 05:15.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    HeavenBlue  (19-04-2017)

  9. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,196
    Thanks
    4,701
    Thanked
    2,010
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    But do you not think it's a shame that people now feel like they can't have a (respectful) opinion for fear of offending or being in the minority...is keeping quiet really the right thing to do? I don't know? There's no spark in life if we all just toddle along doing the same thing, nodding and agreeing while silently thinking otherwise...I actually find that a bit sad. The pendulum has swung too far...
    It's totally this.
    From my experiences here, there can't be any conversation if a poster is constantly being brought into question and called/accused of all sorts.
    Conversation stops dead when the accusations start flying.
    Unless someone is being openly abusive then don't waste time accusing them of being closet bigots/racists etc etc.
    It's wasted time an energy for readers and posters and stops any real meaty conversation being had.

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,138
    Thanks
    3,295
    Thanked
    3,030
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What I have noticed is that the posters who are in the minority of a debate quite often voice opinions based on misinformation (or sometimes statistics that they later admit they made up!). When they are provided with the correct information, they then spout the old line "I'm entitled to my opinion, if you can't respect my opinion then you're the judgemental one and you're bullying me". But if an opinion is based on misinformation and the poster isn't willing to listen to and consider the facts, then no, their opionion does not need to be respected as their opinion is factually wrong. Its then that they cry bullying, cliques, etc. When that's not generally the case. Its just that most posters here base their opinions on facts and are trying to educate and provide facts to those that are misinformed.

    That's just my opinion though

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (19-04-2017),babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),Elijahs Mum  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),Renn  (19-04-2017),Shoopuf  (19-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

  12. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,196
    Thanks
    4,701
    Thanked
    2,010
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    What I have noticed is that the posters who are in the minority of a debate quite often voice opinions based on misinformation (or sometimes statistics that they later admit they made up!). When they are provided with the correct information, they then spout the old line "I'm entitled to my opinion, if you can't respect my opinion then you're the judgemental one and you're bullying me". But if an opinion is based on misinformation and the poster isn't willing to listen to and consider the facts, then no, their opionion does not need to be respected as their opinion is factually wrong. Its then that they cry bullying, cliques, etc. When that's not generally the case. Its just that most posters here base their opinions on facts and are trying to educate and provide facts to those that are misinformed.

    That's just my opinion though
    What kind of threads would they be?
    I can understand your point if it's about threads where actual facts and statistics can be presented but not in some of the threads I'm thinking about where it's a personal opinion that's being torn apart.
    IMO that's why chat has dried up.
    Who can be bothered investing time to partake only to put up with that?

  13. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,210
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    7,256
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    But do you not think it's a shame that people now feel like they can't have a (respectful) opinion for fear of offending or being in the minority...is keeping quiet really the right thing to do? I don't know? There's no spark in life if we all just toddle along doing the same thing, nodding and agreeing while silently thinking otherwise...I actually find that a bit sad. The pendulum has swung too far...
    I agree but there seems to be so many who are really sensitive and knowing most of their history there is no point upsetting them as even though I can handle any criticism I know some can't so as much as you sometimes feel like saying suck it up or your being overly sensitive, it's not up to me to tell people how to feel

  14. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,138
    Thanks
    3,295
    Thanked
    3,030
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    What kind of threads would they be?
    I can understand your point if it's about threads where actual facts and statistics can be presented but not in some of the threads I'm thinking about where it's a personal opinion that's being torn apart.
    IMO that's why chat has dried up.
    Who can be bothered investing time to partake only to put up with that?
    What sort of personal opinion is being torn apart, and how was that opinion formed in the first place? Was the opinion based on something the poster experienced, read, saw on the news? If so, then it was based on information that they were presented with, and therefore that information may be incorrect and can be presented with the correct facts in return.

    Opinions are by nature subject to fact. Eg. Vaccines cause autism. Personal preferences are not. Eg. I prefer not to vaccinate for personal reasons. I think you may have the two confused...

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Where has all the sperm gone?
    By familyof3 in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 02:05
  2. when (and where)are all the good toy sales
    By popetsmum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 13:35
  3. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 29-12-2006, 20:03
  4. where are all the mums
    By ally cat 78 in forum Brisbane
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 13:29
  5. Where are all the Brisbane Mums?
    By Izzys'mum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 23:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pear Exercise Physiology Pregnancy & Women's HealthWe are Women's Health specialists and prescribe exercise to support changes in your body brought on by pregnancy, ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
The Bachelor 2018 - Honey BadgerMovies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Show me your sewing! #2Crafts and Hobbies
IVF Babies due July/August/September 2018! #2pregnancy and babies through IVF
Abundant AugustConception & Fertility General Chat
Ttc 2019Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT