ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First time parents - Who do we go to for advice

Hi ladies

This may seem like the world's most stupid question, but who do we go to for professional advice regarding our month old DD?

She gets terrible gas / wind and i don't really feel comfortable taking the advice of our MCHN as she seems very scattered with her advice and unsure if a normal GP can help with newborns. Or do I need to see a paediatrician?

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd start with your GP. In my experience, some are great with baby related issues, some aren't. If your GP can't help, you could always ask about a referral to see a paed. There could be quite a wait though.

If you are breastfeeding, it could be feeding related and the ABA may be able to assist.

ETA you could also try seeing a different MCHN. I've found they are a mixed bag though - some are brilliant, others give bizarre outdated advice.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Gagingi  (17-04-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't had much luck with GPs whenever my dd has had problems - we've had a Paediatrician since she was born so generally see him. You'll need a referral from a GP to a paed though. It can help if you know which paed you want to use and if you can find one who's happy to be contacted by text for questions in between appointments that's a godsend. Our paed does this and it's so reassuring to just ask a question and get an answer that day without having to drag dd off to an appointment (he doesn't charge for text advice ).
    Is there anything us hubbers could brainstorm with you in the meantime?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, i was hesitant seeing a normal GP as some really don't have a clue sometimes, I've been to one who googled my symptoms for something before!

How do i go about finding a paed ladies? Gosh my questions seem so stupid.

Bub is breastfed and i need to use a shield as she has a very high pallet and cant suck my nipple into her mouth enough, we are doing really well with the shield and once a night give her a bottle of EBM to attempt to settle her in the evenings for a longer stretch as she seems quite fussy between 7pm and 10pm.

When we put her down she wriggles in pain and sounds like a baby dinosaur and sometimes lets out some cries before drifting off to sleep. We burp her after every feed and can get some burps up, but her poor little tummy does get full of gas and it feels very hard and hollow. She poo's and wee's normally and is gaining a good amount of weight.

Our MCHN suggested giving her some warm water after feeds, but after googling it, the majority of opinions dont recommend it.

Sorry if my post seems very disjointed, if i can fill in any more blanks, please let me know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, it's hard to know whats normal and what needs addressing. My thoughts:
    Try another MCHN, one that you 'gel' a bit better with.
    Ask around to find a GP who is good with children - ours is the bomb he never dismisses anything we come to him with and is very knowledgable about baby/kid stuff.
    If breastfeeding, try the ABA (I have found their helpline hit and miss though) or seek out a lactation consultant. Your hospital should have one, or find a private one to do a home visit if you can afford it.
    DS had awful gas, I ended up getting private LC out who took one look at him and found his tongue and lip tie - the attachment issues meant he was swallowing heaps of air. She referred us to a paediatric dentist for laser revision and we haven't looked back. Different baby.
    Before that I tried a bland diet, dairy free etc but nothing seemed to help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Thanks ladies, i was hesitant seeing a normal GP as some really don't have a clue sometimes, I've been to one who googled my symptoms for something before!

How do i go about finding a paed ladies? Gosh my questions seem so stupid.

Bub is breastfed and i need to use a shield as she has a very high pallet and cant suck my nipple into her mouth enough, we are doing really well with the shield and once a night give her a bottle of EBM to attempt to settle her in the evenings for a longer stretch as she seems quite fussy between 7pm and 10pm.

When we put her down she wriggles in pain and sounds like a baby dinosaur and sometimes lets out some cries before drifting off to sleep. We burp her after every feed and can get some burps up, but her poor little tummy does get full of gas and it feels very hard and hollow. She poo's and wee's normally and is gaining a good amount of weight.

Our MCHN suggested giving her some warm water after feeds, but after googling it, the majority of opinions dont recommend it.

Sorry if my post seems very disjointed, if i can fill in any more blanks, please let me know.
    High palate often goes hand in hand with tongue/lip tie.
    Also shield can contribute to baby sucking in air during a feed.
    I would highly recommend a lactation consultant.
    With DD she got us off using shields within a week.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (15-04-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with seeing a lactation consultant. Sounds like it could be related to taking in too much air during a feed as a PP said. In the interim, you could try a warm wrap around bubs tummy after a feed. The warmth might help settle her a bit. Also some pressure on bubs belly can help her bring up the wind a bit. Tummy time is great for this, up over your shoulder, on your chest, over your arm, over your knees. It might be that she needs to be upright on you even for a little while after a feed too just to help pass some of that wind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much @SSecret Squirrel @gingermillie @rosey82 @M'LadyEm

We did see a LC through our local hospital in the first 2 weeks to see if i really did need to use the shield and she told us, at least until she is a bit bigger due to the high palate. She said bub has a very small tongue tie on the bottom of her tongue, which may or may not help if cut. In this case, is it worthwhile having it cut just to see what it would do, are there any cons to having this done?

Ok, so i will make an app with my GP, and a second app with the breastfeeding clinic to follow up and advise what has been happening since my last app with them.
    @M'LadyEm i will try the warm towel, do you know if there is any merit in the warm water advice i got from my MCHN?

Also, how do i go about changing MCHN's , i feel bad because the lady is lovely and i dont want to offend her, but i just feel as though she isnt right for me and my DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my BF bubs were squirmy/loud/gassy. I used infants friend a lot in the first 2-3 months (as in during every feed). I burped mid and end of feeds too.

It does get better. And is often worse before it gets better.

You can also do massage to help. Bicycle legs helps too.

Otherwise how is the poo?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    @M'LadyEm i will try the warm towel, do you know if there is any merit in the warm water advice i got from my MCHN?

Also, how do i go about changing MCHN's , i feel bad because the lady is lovely and i dont want to offend her, but i just feel as though she isnt right for me and my DD.
    I personally wouldn't. Breastfed babies get no nutrition from water at this age so all you could potentially be doing is filling her up more than she can tolerate and overfilling her belly causing more issues.

Not sure how you go about changing the nurse, but don't feel bad. You need someone who works for you and your DD. If you don't feel comfortable with her advice and that she's the right fit, then that says enough that you need to get someone who you feel is a better fit. Best of luck.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-04-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (15-04-2017)