+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has anyone tried taking the side off of the cot to transition from cot to bed?
    I'm just thinking through my options now which are:
    1. Leave things just as they are in the cot with sleeping bags for a while yet
    2. Transition out of sleeping bags while still in the cot
    3. Try the sleep suit bag while still in the cot and then in the bed
    4. Try taking the side off of the cot for a while
    As I read this back I'm thinking just leave her happy as she is lol. She is a very strong willed and super active little person so she will, and always has, do things in her own way in her own time

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't take the side off but did use a toddler bed for my ds. He loved it and had no issues going into a big bed.

If she is happy and there are no issues, I would just leave her in the cot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    What a nightmare you poor thing. I moved DD1 to a toddler bed at 15/16 months. She wasn't climbing or anything but I wanted her out of the cot well before her sibling needed the cot so she didn't feel like I was kicking her out to put the baby in.

I was going to trial just day time naps but ended up just putting her in there for the night. We did go through a stage of sleep walking though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was in her cot until quite late because she was happy (maybe age 2 or close to it?), she didn't try to climb out, then we took the sides off and she was in that as a toddler bed for ages. We didn't have a problem with the transition because she was old enough to explain to her to stay in bed. DS is currently 20 months no way I'm
    Taking sides off for him, I wouldn't trust him
    DD was still in the sleep bag in the toddler bed I think because I remember she could run at full speed in that thing lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was almost 2.5 before I made the transition. She was long out of sleeping bags by then, which probably helped. I never took the sides off the cot. She just got too big for it, and when she stood up it wasn't safe. I went cold turkey, swapped the cot for a bed and made a big deal out of her 'big girl bed' - no dramas at all.

I'd leave her for now. Maybe try and keep morning cuddles to your bed until the switch? So she doesn't get confused about the purpose of the bed and think it's for anything other than night time sleeping.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved DD1 into a king single when she was 20 mths old as we wanted that to become 'her' bed so she wouldn't get upset when DD2 came along and was using her cot.
    We had the little barrier up and involved her in picking the linen etc so it was a positive thing for her. We kept her in bags until she decided about 2yrs that she wasn't wearing them anymore....she could run in them as well!
    We were fully expecting nights of her climbing out but she's only done that about three times...she even sits and waits for us to go in there in the morning she sits there calling that she's awake!!
    Even now she doesn't use the duvet so we end up using a heater and a blanket as she still rolls around a lot. Maybe just leave her where she is if she's happy until you've got through winter. DD1 still has friends who are in their cots. Or drop the side and see how you go...at least hen you can put it back up again if it doesn't work!
    Good luck with whatever you decide

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only moved my DD out of the cot when she started climbing out.. Which was close to 2.5 yrs. When I did move her to a toddler bed.. She spent at least a dozen nights sleeping on the floor.. Rather than the bed. She now understands when we say for her to sleep in her big girl bed and now stays in there all night. There definately was a lot of jumping up and down on the bed when she first moved into it though!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I think you're right. She does love her cot, she loves sleeping in it and sleeps so well. Am feeling some pressure to get her in a big bed and she's been asking to sleep there so we thought we'd try. The extra room from getting rid of her cot would be handy too but maybe we should wait and just keep trying every few weeks or so til she feels ready to sleep in there.
    In a few weeks it'll get colder here and we'll start running the heater in her room overnight which will make it easier to transition out of the sleeping bag as her room will be consistently warm. That might help her transition to the bed once she's used to not sleeping in the sleeping bag.
    Maybe try doing quiet time/books in the bed before putting her into the cot for bed. That way she can get 'used' to it a little but still get a gppd sleep in the cot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited until close to 3, basically because by 3 they are a bit easier to logic with and respond well to sticker charts (for staying in their beds). Depends on the child, but testing the boundaries of their new found freedom and getting in and out of bed and also arriving in the middle of the night to stand next to your bed like a mini stalker (This is very freaky when it happens ) is all totally normal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    arriving in the middle of the night to stand next to your bed like a mini stalker (This is very freaky when it happens ) is all totally normal.
    Hehe this made me laugh out loud
    Last night she just turned into a wild animal when she realized she wasn't going in her cot, she was truly deranged jumping up and down and squealing and running out of her room. It was funny but also a disaster.
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'm in 2 minds as to whether we try again tonight but in her sleeping bag or just leave her happy in her cot for another few months

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Rachel3072  (17-04-2017)