+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving toddler from cot to bed - tips?

Dd is now 21 months and a great sleeper after a rough first year. She's still in her cot and sleeps in a sleeping bag.
    For over a year we've had a king single bed in her room which I'll sleep in if she's sick and we often have cuddles in the bed in the morning (so she's well used to the big bed). She can climb in and out of the bed and we recently installed a bed rail in anticipation of her moving into the big bed as she's been asking to sleep in there.
    So tonight we tried her in the big bed for the second time and as per the first try it was a disaster. Normally she gets in her sleeping bag, has her milk, we put her in the cot and say night night and walk out and she goes straight to sleep. Obviously no sleeping bag in the big bed so she had her milk we laid her down and then had 45 minutes of wild antics before we gave up and put her in her sleeping bag in the cot (and she went straight to sleep).
    We had her climbing out of bed running into the lounge several times so I went and sat next to her bed. She then proceeded to hang onto the bedhead and jump up and down like a trampoline, rolled around, squealed and laughed, climbed out. Generally just totally hyper for 45 minutes til I gave in and put her in the cot.
    For those that have been through this - do you think she's just not ready and we should leave it and try later? Or should we persevere and hope she eventually tires out and falls asleep?
    I tried laying down with her but she's never been a fan of cosleeping as it's always amped her up unless she's really sick so it didn't help.
    No idea how to manage this transition? Will it be harder if we leave it longer or easier as she'll be more ready? It's hard as she sleeps so well now so stuffing with her sleep freaks me out

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are yet to move our DD so no first hand experience but could you leave the sleeping bag on her for a few weeks until she's a bit more transitioned and then switch it out for a blanket?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My babies never used the cot so no experience but if she is happy and sleeps in the cot I would leave her there.

I consider it similar to me putting DS in his own room/big boy room. It only worked when he was ready.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    We are yet to move our DD so no first hand experience but could you leave the sleeping bag on her for a few weeks until she's a bit more transitioned and then switch it out for a blanket?
    No it's too dangerous - because she can climb out of the bed if she has the sleeping bag on she will trip if she tries to walk in it.
    The better option is probably to get her used to sleeping in her cot without the sleeping bag then move her to her bed. I was hoping to avoid that as it's harder in her cot to keep blankets on than in the bed so she'll probably get cold and wake up I'm looking for a magic solution which I don't think exists!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My babies never used the cot so no experience but if she is happy and sleeps in the cot I would leave her there.

I consider it similar to me putting DS in his own room/big boy room. It only worked when he was ready.
    I think you're right. She does love her cot, she loves sleeping in it and sleeps so well. Am feeling some pressure to get her in a big bed and she's been asking to sleep there so we thought we'd try. The extra room from getting rid of her cot would be handy too but maybe we should wait and just keep trying every few weeks or so til she feels ready to sleep in there.
    In a few weeks it'll get colder here and we'll start running the heater in her room overnight which will make it easier to transition out of the sleeping bag as her room will be consistently warm. That might help her transition to the bed once she's used to not sleeping in the sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My dd was very similar and we ended up leaving her in the sleeping bag in the bed for about a month and never had any issues. Her sleeping bag was her cue to sleep and funnily enough it became her comfort blanket for about a year.

ETA: and yep she would get up in the morning and shuffle her way down to our room in her sleeping bag. We actually taught her how to take it off, which she picked up pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 14-04-2017 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Personally I'd leave it at the moment.
    Especially as she sleeps well.

When I transitioned dd1 out of the sleeping bag and cot into her big bed at 2.5 years (and that was only because I was pregnant and needed the cot), I was totally stressing out yet it was a breeze - because she was ready.

I find most people who I've chatted too have said the same thing- that they were surprised how easy it was in the end. If it's hard then I would wait awhile and try again later- there's no rush for the big bed and she's sleeping well so you've nothing to gain from pushing her so early (despite the fact she's asking for it).

Just my opinion anyway.

Eta: most I know with kids didn't transition until 2ish or much later unless they were climbing out of the cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    My dd was very similar and we ended up leaving her in the sleeping bag in the bed for about a month and never had any issues. Her sleeping bag was her cue to sleep and funnily enough it became her comfort blanket for about a year.

ETA: and yep she would get up in the morning and shuffle her way down to our room in her sleeping bag. We actually taught her how to take it off, which she picked up pretty quickly.
    Did she not trip over? Dd is very tall (+95th centile) and she's in the 12-36 month ergopouch and there's no way she can walk in it without tripping. I have one of the ergopouch sleepsuits which zips into legs so they can walk in it but it's a 3.5 tog so not cold enough for it yet and they're so expensive I was hoping to avoid buying another one!! But I can look into that if it might be worthwhile. They have pretty good resale and I have 2 x 1.0 and 1 x 2.5 tog ergo sleeping bags I can sell.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (14-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We transitioned DS when he was nearly 3 (he was very happy in his cot) by switching from sleeping bags to blankets first... so once he was in a bed that part wasn't a problem he was well used to not having a sleeping bag... we plan to do the same with DD in the next few weeks, she is 2.5years & has started taking her sleeping bag off while napping so need to start the transition! I've always been a big believer in leaving them in their cot while they are happy & it's still safe (not climbing out) although we are going to start using blankets with DD we won't put her in a bed for a while as we have a new baby arriving soon & have 2 cots anyway!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Did she not trip over? Dd is very tall (+95th centile) and she's in the 12-36 month ergopouch and there's no way she can walk in it without tripping. I have one of the ergopouch sleepsuits which zips into legs so they can walk in it but it's a 3.5 tog so not cold enough for it yet and they're so expensive I was hoping to avoid buying another one!! But I can look into that if it might be worthwhile. They have pretty good resale and I have 2 x 1.0 and 1 x 2.5 tog ergo sleeping bags I can sell.
    It was in the middle of winter (gets in the -'s overnight) that we moved her. I can't remember the brand but it was 2.5 tog and up to 36 months, she was older though (2.5 years old). I never saw her trip (she may have) but she just shuffled along in it. It was actually good because she got used to using proper bedding (I used a light blanket over the top) whilst using the sleeping bag. Didn't having to worry if the blanket fell off because I knew she would still be warm in her sleeping bag.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post: