+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes and Morning Sickness

Hi there,

I have PCOS and was tested early for GD at 5 weeks. I've since been told that I do have GD and have been given lots of information on how to adjust my diet and lifestyle to control it. The problem I'm having now is that for the last two weeks (Wks 6-8) I've been battling terrible morning sickness. I've been taking Zofran but have found that while it does stop the vomiting and allows me to keep some liquid and food down, the nausea is still quite awful. I've been finding it difficult to eat well for the GD while trying to cope with morning sickness - often having to reach quickly for easy (but not healthy) choices to try and quell the sickness. I'm finding that I'm really put off the foods that I should be eating as well.

Any suggestions would be amazing - I'm feeling really guilty and stuck in the middle of two awful situations! Finding it difficult to stay positive when I know I should!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ☺ congratulations on your pregnancy. I was diagnosed with GD at 28 wks & was diet controlled for the rest of my pregnancy. Its no fun i know. I never had morning sicknesses so can't help there but i just ate small amounts. I would have breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoons tea then dinner with a piece of fruit. Apples & bananas were great. Also for snacks 2 rice cakes with vegemite. I also walked (or waddled) after every meal, even if it was 30 mins, it kept my levels down. One big thing also is DONT STRESS.....easier said then done i know but stress plays a big part in your sugar levels . Try yoghurt, that was another good one for me & wholemeal bread instead of white bread. I probably havnt been much help but goodluck & i hope you feel better soon. Xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have PCOS and was diagnosed with GD when my I was pregnant with my son. I also have lots of nausea and unfortunately I was unable to control the GD with diet (as I found out, some people unfortunately are unable to control the GD with diet and end up on insulin). Fact is, it isn't what we put into our bodies it is the way our body is reacting with being pregnant. Diet can help some people. I ended up on insulin and I was trying desperately with my diet however only got it under control within the last few weeks of pregnancy.

All I can say is do what you can. And if you need to go on insulin then that's what has to happen. It doesn't mean you have done anything wrong.

Good luck and congratulations xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Butterflybabe - I'm always grateful for any tips!

Thanks for sharing your experience Mona424. I'll keep trying to control my GD with diet for now and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully the nausea will subside over the next few weeks and it will become easier. I'll cross that bridge with insulin if needed down the track.

Thanks again, it helps to just talk about it

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggymama For This Useful Post:

Butterflybabe  (21-04-2017),Mona424  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had GD three times. First pregnancy went on insulin from 36 weeks ( baby over 4kg) second controlled with diet ( baby over 4 kg) and third on insulin from about 26 weeks ( baby under 4 kg) having done diet control from 18 weeks when I started to get high blood sugar levels. My view is that it's better to go on the insulin than have a lot of high blood sugar readings trying to control it with diet. Even a small dose of insulin for me kept my readings under control and kept babies weight and abdominal circumferences under control whereas with other pregnancies weight and abdominal circumference were high .