+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Urine test results what's normal when testing for Pre Eclampsia?

I ended up at the local after hours clinic tonight where they took my blood pressure using the automatic machine. My body doesn't seem to like the auto ones and my BP always comes back a lot higher than on the old manual ones. They also did a urine dipstick test and I'm just curious if these results are normal or starting to look like PE?

0 Ketones
    +1 Protein
    +1 Leukocytes

BP 135/87 then 142/93 20 minutes later. This dr's surgery didn't have the old school pump up BP machines which is what my BP is normally taken on. Last midwives appointment 7 days ago was 132/80 and she wasn't worried. The last BP I had done on a auto machine had it as 147/110, 5 minutes later it was done on an old school machine and went down to 137/80.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know far more about preeclampsia than I'd like. I was diagnosed at 31 weeks had check ups every 2 days until I ended up in icu at 36 weeks due to being almost eclamptic and having an emergency c-section. Due to ongoing issues with it I was in hospital for 10 days after birth.
    Electronic blood pressure machines are contraindicated in pregnancy as they are not accurate during pregnancy. They must use a manual cuff and pump.
    The key thing in urine for preeclampsia is protein. So +1 indicates that protein is there at the lower end of the scale. But any change in protein during pregnancy plus the variations in BP need to be investigated by a midwife/OB. It may not be PE but it might be.
    How far along are you?
    Do you have any other symptoms? Such as extreme swelling in hands, feet, legs and face? Headache? Upper gastric pain? Seeing stars?
    My preeclampsia started at 29 weeks with sudden (as in overnight I ballooned) swelling and a headache. At 31 weeks i was put on blood pressure medication and intensively monitored to get me as far along as possible. It was extremely stressful as I had to go to my ob 2-4 times a week for monitoring and things still managed to go seriously pear shaped in a 48 hour period.
    It's not something to muck around with so call your midwife/ob. If they're not concerned then I'd relax a bit but wouldn't trust any other advice including GP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all. Sorry to post here but the only thread i could find. Now i know that noone can answer this question and i dont expect you too. Just looking for some reassurance i guess or to hear others experience. I had my first dr appt today and she has confirmed im nearly 5 weeks. She did a urine sample and the stick showed perhaps a small sign of blood in the urine. She said it could be a sensitive stick but will send away to test. Has anyone had a similar issue. Im already nervous.
    Thankyou for sharing your experiences!!
    S
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gsqcyv View Post
    Hi all. Sorry to post here but the only thread i could find. Now i know that noone can answer this question and i dont expect you too. Just looking for some reassurance i guess or to hear others experience. I had my first dr appt today and she has confirmed im nearly 5 weeks. She did a urine sample and the stick showed perhaps a small sign of blood in the urine. She said it could be a sensitive stick but will send away to test. Has anyone had a similar issue. Im already nervous.
    S
    Xx
    I can't answer your question but you should be able to create a thread in any of the sections. Maybe @Mod-Degrassi or @Mod-Nomsie or one of the other mods can move this post to your own thread so that the OP can have her question answered here without things getting mixed up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would be great thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I know far more about preeclampsia than I'd like. I was diagnosed at 31 weeks had check ups every 2 days until I ended up in icu at 36 weeks due to being almost eclamptic and having an emergency c-section. Due to ongoing issues with it I was in hospital for 10 days after birth.
    Electronic blood pressure machines are contraindicated in pregnancy as they are not accurate during pregnancy. They must use a manual cuff and pump.
    The key thing in urine for preeclampsia is protein. So +1 indicates that protein is there at the lower end of the scale. But any change in protein during pregnancy plus the variations in BP need to be investigated by a midwife/OB. It may not be PE but it might be.
    How far along are you?
    Do you have any other symptoms? Such as extreme swelling in hands, feet, legs and face? Headache? Upper gastric pain? Seeing stars?
    My preeclampsia started at 29 weeks with sudden (as in overnight I ballooned) swelling and a headache. At 31 weeks i was put on blood pressure medication and intensively monitored to get me as far along as possible. It was extremely stressful as I had to go to my ob 2-4 times a week for monitoring and things still managed to go seriously pear shaped in a 48 hour period.
    It's not something to muck around with so call your midwife/ob. If they're not concerned then I'd relax a bit but wouldn't trust any other advice including GP.
    I'm 37 weeks and some days, I can't remember what they are as my due date was changed for the 6th time last week (talk about driving me nuts!).

I have minor swelling in my feet which they aren't worried about and have had RUQ pain for the past 3 weeks. Bloods came back normal last Thursday & so did the urine test but they never told me the actual levels.

I had full blown HELLP syndrome with DS, RUQ pain was the only symptom I had from 30 - 34wks. Then I got swelling in my legs and feet but was told it was normal. The RUQ pain increased rapidly in intensity and frequency from 34wks. It wasn't until I was rapidly going down hill and insisted on going into the hospital that they did a urine test which showed protein, then bloods showed my platelet count had severely dropped since my last BT 6 days prior & liver enzymes were high. They didn't tell me the levels (other than the platelet count) so I have nothing to compare it to this time around. I had my son 5 hours later via emergency c-section. At the time I was told I only had HELLP, it has only been during this pregnancy that I was told I must have had PE to. Thus the complete ignorance of PE symptoms.

Traffic is so bad tonight that it's going to take me at least 4hrs to get to the hospital and I have no-one to watch the kids. So if it's not serious I want to wait till the morning and go in, the GP and midwife want bloods done and want me at the hospital. One said tomorrow is fine, one said as soon as you can.

ETA: I had DS at 36+6. My platelet count started to drop 2 days prior to my scheduled c-section with DD so was not diagnosed with HELLP but the OB did think it was starting. Again the only symptom was the RUQ pain for weeks. I had her at 38+2.
    Last edited by babybump08; 13-04-2017 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gsqcyv View Post
    S
    Xx
    It might be a UTI. Don't stress about what you read in this thread about pre-eclampsia, it doesn't occur that early in pregnancy. It occurs from 20+ weeks, with most cases in the 3rd trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Instead of driving in can you phone the maternity ward for advice first? It's such a serious and fast-changing thing that no one here can really advise you sorry. If you've been told to go in then if I were you I'd be getting seen pronto. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hope your doing ok, my experience with PE was 13years ago but I was diagnosed earlier then what is usual I can't remember if it was wk 26 or 29, but I vividly remember the head aches they were excruciatingly painful at times and I had terrible ringing in my ears when my bp was really high, and the swelling was at the point where I could not wear shoes. I was really concerned with my second pregnancy but my ob said it was generally something women were more likely to get in their early 20's or early 40's. (don't know if that is just he's experience or fact)
    Since it's difficult for you to get to hospital it's probably a good idea to call and get advice while your bp doesn't seem too high its best to get professional advice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rang the assessment unit and they want to see me as soon as possible but said my BP isn't high enough to warrant an emergency so I can go in in the morning. Didn't say much about the urine test results, just they'd repeat them when I got there.

DH will be back first thing so I can go without the kids which will make things easier.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (13-04-2017)