+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Real Estate Q - Wwyd?

We applied for a rental property on Tuesday. We were the first applicant, but about 6 other people also inspected the place, so I'm not sure how many applications they got.

Our personal references were contacted yesterday, but we're not sure if they got in touch with our current landlord. He can be a bit hard to get a hold of.

I don't want to seem pushy, but with the Easter long weekend upon us I'm aware that if they can't get ahold of our landlord today they may just go with another applicant.

WWYD? Should I call them and ask if they need any help in chasing up our current landlord? Or just leave it and hope for the best? Or will that seem pushy & annoying?

(Yes, I'm aware I'm way overthinkng it and needlessly stressing - it's what I do best )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would call and just ask how they are going with your application and that you are around /can call you over easter if they need any further information - we usually say our applications take 2 days to check, verify and hand over to the landlord for a decision but with easter and school holidays they might have trouble contacting the landlord so it might take longer but yes they won't mind you calling to ask

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would call and just ask how they are going with your application and that you are around /can call you over easter if they need any further information - we usually say our applications take 2 days to check, verify and hand over to the landlord for a decision but with easter and school holidays they might have trouble contacting the landlord so it might take longer but yes they won't mind you calling to ask
    Thank you! Do most RE's process several applications at once? Or do they do a "first in, first assessed" kind of thing? ...just trying to work out what sort of chances we have...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No we have to process all completed applications that on paper look like they can afford the rent - we get tons of applications not filled out completely or don't have correct attachments (bank statements, pay slips etc) or we get some that earn say $60k a year applying for a $800 per week property that would be far to big a risk for a landlord to accept so we might get 6 applications but only 3 might actually be completed correctly and can afford the rent so you never know!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Well if they're checking our references then it must mean we look ok on paper. Can only wait and see I guess!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Real Estate Q - Wwyd?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Thank you! Do most RE's process several applications at once? Or do they do a "first in, first assessed" kind of thing? ...just trying to work out what sort of chances we have...
    Definitely NOT 'first in best dressed' as far as applications go (have worked in R/E on and off since 2001). If there are a few good applications they will reference check all of them and decide after that who is best. Ultimately it's the landlord's choice but the PM has to check them all and then present them to the LL. If there is more than one application this can obviously take some time.

Edit: if it was Tuesday that you applied then yes, certainly call, but only once.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 13-04-2017 at 15:01.