ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare worker- how to approach awkward conversation

I need advice on how to talk to a worker at my daughter's childcare. Most of the people that work there are fantastic!! They say hi, make you feel welcome and comfortable and my daughter loves it. But there's a new worker who makes me feel uncomfortable. She never greets me or my daughter, doesn't engage in conversation and doesn't acknowledge you in any way. She's always lying on the floor completely focused on the kids which I guess is good but I also think it's important to greet the kids and ask the parents questions such as how was their night etc. Am I being fussy or should I speak to someone about it? I guess if I'm not comfortable leaving my daughter with her, then that's something I should speak up about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think its an issue warranting any action. This is one that I'd let go as long as she's engaging with the kids and you have no complaints with how your daughter is being treated.

Are there other reasons you're not comfortable with her, or is just the lack of a welcome/greeting? Do you greet her and try to talk to her at all?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DDs kinder teacher was like that when she was new. But over time she softened and I really liked her. Give her a couple of months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the above maybe she is shy.. but really good with kids. If shes focused on the kids and interacts with them.. thats all that matters

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe shes shy. Go and introduce yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Childcare worker- how to approach awkward conversation

She should be greeting you and your child. Being new or shy is NOT a suitable excuse. It's her job to make you and your child feel comfortable. I would have a chat to the director next time you see them. I wouldn't speak to the educator directly about it as you said you are uncomfortable and I wouldn't speak to another educator about it as you want it followed up on properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see the issue.

If it makes you feel uncomfortable then by all means, speak to someone. They can consider what they'd like of their staff and speak to her accordingly.

It sounds, more than anything, like a difference in personality/expectations. I wouldn't give it a second thought if a carer didn't come and greet us; wouldn't think about if I were a carer unless someone mentioned it to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree I don't see the issue here either. She is obviously engrossed in her job and giving her attention to the kids she is interacting with. I'm sure your daughter is one of those kids throughout the day.

Speaking to the director over that is completely over the top imo and will probably upset the poor girl who you said yourself is completely focused on the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be concerned if she was the only educator in the room and was completely ignoring every parent but if there were other educators greeting you then she may not feel the need to also get up and bombard you with a tonne of questions. Politely bring it up with the director and just ask about her experience and if she is completely new to childcare and you feel she is ignoring the parents. If she is greeting other parents and not you then that is not acceptable and needs to be brought up ASAP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't see an issue as she wouldn't be the only one there and isn't the room leader (I'm guessing?).

I, however, would start saying "Good morning X" and "Goodbye X" everyday, and ensure my daughter did the same. Only because she should learn to greet people (unless she is doing an activity) as it is an unwritten part of the job.