+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Adoption - what happens around placement time?

Hi guys 😊 I've just joined the forum today (first forum experience ever!!) I have recently submitted my EOI package for adoption and I know that the period of time from now until placement is quite variable etc but I'm just wondering if someone can give me an idea about what happens around placement time?

What I'm wondering about is - do you just get a phone call one day saying that there is a child who they believe will be suited to your family? And at what point do you get this call - is it, 'can you come and collect the child today'?

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can give you a description of what happens in qld if that helps? Not sure which state you're in.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Adoption - what happens around placement time?

I'll describe Qld not sure if different elsewhere. After expression of interest you have to be selected for assessment, that process takes 9-12 months, then you go on the suitable parents register. They only assess more people when they need more on the SAP. Once you're on SAP the call can come any time. If you are chosen you then have to go in for a meeting with the Dept to find out info about the child and make decision whether you will accept placement. If you are accepting you have to then wait for them to schedule a court date which can take a few weeks as court paperwork has to be submitted and eg here the hearing can only be done on mondays. After you have an interim order you then move into a transition week (3-5 days usually) where you go to foster parents house but child remains there, after that is done you get to take them home!
    PS you only can meet the child once you have an interim adoption order from court

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bezzy! I'm in NSW but they're likely to be similar enough?

Ok, that makes sense. I have been wondering how much progress I need to have with setting up for a child - like all the practical things (which I can't really set up anyway because I won't know the age or gender lol). But that sounds easy enough to organise now that you're suggesting there will be a couple of weeks from that phone call to when the child will come home thank you for your reply!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't have anything apart from some toys and furniture we had from in storage when DD was a baby. We ended up with plenty of time to get what we needed. Only thing that can take awhile is furniture so it might be worthwhile having a plan of what furniture you would order, even a list of what it would be depending on age range and boy/girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bezzy - I have started a list mainly because I'm excited and I'm concerned there are things that I will easily forgot lol. I haven't actually walked in to any shops yet to start looking at furniture but you're right, if I spend this waiting time figuring out what I want then I'll be able to order as soon as I am matched with a little one
    As far as the big things that need a little time pondering the options I'm thinking it's mainly; cot, change table, car seat, and pram?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep that sounds like most of the big items. What age range have you applied for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Under 2 years - and actually except for the car seat, those other big items probably suit newborn to 2 years anyway don't they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mostly should be fine but depending on the age might change how much you spend on something, e.g. if quite young you might want a good pram, if they are almost 2 then a stroller might suit you better, maybe a cheaper change table because it won't get much use, same with the cot. Also we had applied for 0-12 months but our son ended up being a little older than that, so just in case the age range is stretched a little also might change what you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, ok good point!
    I've pulled out the baby notebook and started to make some age specific notes lol
    Thank you for the advise!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Me2017 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (12-04-2017)