+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about induction

My Ob wants to induce me in a week due to some health problems and I as I went naturally on my own last time I am wondering if you can tell me what induction is like.

What can I expect? She said she will do a balloon catheter (cervix is not favourable today) however is she can get to my waters she will break them instead and not do the catheter.

It needs to all be confirmed next week as I may still be looking at a c-section (hopefully not) but if people can tell me what their experience was like that would help ease my stress a bit.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been induced twice and I honestly didnt find it any worse than normal labour. They just inserted gel to get my cervix going, which wasnt particularly pleasant but wasnt painful, bit uncomfortable. I dont know anything about balloon catheters. It feels rather freaky when they pop the waters and you feel it all gush out, and I felt a bit worried because it is like once they pop the waters there is no going back and you know you're actually having the baby that day! So that is both freaky and very exciting.
    I have also had a caeser and the only advice there is ask for a morphine drip post surgery, because, I dont know about you, but I hated asking for pain relief from the midwives and nurses. I liked being in control of my own pain relief and having a morphine drip with a button you can push when you are in pain is awesome and not as stressful as begging for pain relief and being told "not for 15 minutes" or "you're not due for any yet." Hope that helps a little.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced 11 days ago with balloon catheter. If I could do it all over again, I would ask for induction to be in the afternoon and see if there was something I could take to aid sleep and cramping. Mine was 9am in the morning. It took 10 hours for the balloon catheter to dilate me enough to break waters. They said it could take up to 12 hours. This meant that by the time I was dilated enough, I'd done a full day with it in and had crampy/contractions all day. But they weren't proper contractions the nurse explained it was my cervix dilated and reacting to having the balloons in there.

So ideally if you could go overnight with it in, then you will be well rested for labour. I was tired going into birth suite and even though I had an epi and was able to sleep, I still felt like I didn't push as efficiently as I could have because I was tired. Didn't help that I was up at 4.30am that morning as well being excited/anxious about induction.

You are welcome to ready my ttc diary which has my birth story and maybe more info.

Or ask away if you have more questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with the gel and ended up with a hyperstimulated uterus which was PAINFUL but couldn't have an epi as I had low platelets. So errrr it was a terrible experience. I never knew such pain existed I think that complication is quite rare though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two inductions and great experiences with both. @nicole83 makes a great point, I went in the late afternoon/early evening both times so managed to get some sleep through the night with the catheter/gel/tape (different things both times) and my waters were broken the following morning.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced wth my second after a natural birth with my first. It was at almost 38 weeks and my cervix was open enough to break my waters. I had my daughter after 1.5 hours of active labour and 5 min of pushing lol. She was born in the shower because there wasn't time to go to the bed lol!! I thought it was fine, I don't think it was all that much more painful than my other birth. I didn't have pain relief for either, apart from sterile water injections in my back to help with the posterior pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My third was an induction with waters broken and then syncto. I was induced due to my body rejecting the pregnancy and bub being distressed. However despite all that initial stress it was a beautiful birth. I went from 3cm- born in 35 mins, sat on the bed chatted, laughed and then was up showering and walked out of the birth suites up to my room like nothing even happened. I Wish you all the best and hopefully you're dilated enough to pop waters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for the first time with my fourth. I also went in late Arvo and got the gel at about 6pm. I had some mild cramps from it throughout the night and next morning but nothing I needed even panadol for.
    I was given the gel because despite being 4cms I couldn't have my waters broken as babies head was too high so risked cord prolapse if they did. The gel was meant to give me cramps to push her head down.
    So, the next morning the doctor checked if DD had dropped, she hadn't so I was supposed to have more gel but they were really busy. The midwife advised me to use gravity in conjunction with the cramps to get DD to drop. So I walked for a while and took 4 flights of stairs a few times. After this the cramps turned more into contractions and I felt a lot of pressure. DD had dropped finally so I was taken to have my waters broken. I was 5cms when they did that and not in much pain. I was supposed to have the drip but as soon as my waters were gone I was in full blown labour and DD was born half an hour later.
    I was monitored wirelessly so I was able to move as freely as I wanted and get in the shower if I wanted (I didn't). I was scared of bleeding afterwards but I lost the least amount of blood out of all my labours.
    Overall, my induction was the best of my births and I am glad we went with that decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been induced twice with the gel. First time my cervix was not even almost ready. They pretty much assured me that it wouldn't work and I'd end up with a cs. They gave me the gel at 9.30pm, I was 3cm dilated at 4am and was holding my baby at 6.14am.

With DD I was given the gel at 10.30pm and was holding her in my arms at 2.50am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an induction in jan as my dd wasnt growing at 36 weeks. Went in at 6am got hooked up to the monitor for the drip got the epi then at 10.30am my ob broke my waters dd was born at 4.45pm. 35 minutes of pushing.This is my first bub so i cant compare it to anything but i had no issues and would do it all over again even though i did get 2nd degree tearing. Good luck!