ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I let my 9yr old wear what he wants most of the time. I will suggest things like a jumper if necessary but i dont force him. I still buy his clothes so have a big say without him knowing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Can I please ask what you would all do if your child was choosing to wear clothes that did not suit their body type?
    This is not a situation i have been in, but I am just interested what people would do if you as a parent can see that the clothing your child has chosen does not suit them, would you tell them so? I think this would be a really tricky situation.
    No. I don't.

My rule for myself and my family is if you like it and your comfortable in it than go for it.
    If asked I will say something along the lines of if don't like the way it fits you here etc.. but it still the choice.

For me how you feel in a piece of clothing is way more important than what others think you look like.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-04-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    No. I don't.

My rule for myself and my family is if you like it and your comfortable in it than go for it.
    If asked I will say something along the lines of if don't like the way it fits you here etc.. but it still the choice.

For me how you feel in a piece of clothing is way more important than what others think you look like.
    I agree with this completely. I have the way that I am comfortable in...if I go shopping with my mum she'll tell me how good I look in something that I look at it on and feel horribly uncomfortable and would never wear it. My children all have very different tastes. On the rare occasion I buy for them I buy for the style they like (and keep the receipt!), not for what I think they would look good in.
    If my kids ask me if an outfit looks good, I might just say that it's not to my taste, or that maybe those jeans would look better with x top...but if they try what I suggest and ask for my opinion further I tell them that now they've seen both choices pick what they feel comfortable with.
    I will heavily guide them for job interviews etc...but that is because it's a new world for them and they are seeking guidance. Plus that's not about feeling comfortable with your friends, it's about looking professional.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    No. I don't.

This is so true.

With my DD1, we were at loggerheads over clothes when she hit highschool. I ended up giving her a monthly allowance to cover clothes and let her buy her own when she went to the shops with friends. She made some very interesting clothing choices early on, but after a while worked out styles that suit her best. I've found with my older two they do go through a "gotta own mid rift tops from Supre stage" but it is short lived and as long as I can't see boobs or butt cheeks I'm fine with it It seriously isn't worth fighting over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that it isn't worth the battle, generally, DS had his superman/pirate phase, so that's what he wore to the shops and running errands, it didn't bother me.
    DD at 13 I let choose her own clothes, but if things change and she was to choose over the top stuff I would put my foot down. I saw a young girl probably around 14, in a mesh top, just her bra underneath, and shorts where I could she her bum cheeks this to me is not age appropriate.
    I would feel like I failed my daughter if she had the need to get attention in this way at this age.