ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 6 and honestly doesn't care what he wears so I usually put out what I want him to wear if we are going out otherwise he just goes into his wardrobe and puts on what he wants - (I buy all his clothes, he hates clothes shopping!) my 5 and 13 year old nieces are a nightmare with being very fussy about what they wear whereas my 4 and 14 year old nieces couldn't care!
    I also never force DS to wear jackets etc but do say to grab a hoodie or jacket to keep in the car in case he gets cold which he always does

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (13-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD almost 13, has always had her own ideas about what she likes and doesn't like wearing.
    If it's like -15 outside and she wanted to go out in a singlet well, I would say not without your jacket.
    Wearing short things doesn't phase me- but if she wore something that I considered overly sexual I wouldn't let her, I'm ok with pretty much everything but I don't agree with young girls dressing provocatively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD will be 3 in 7 weeks and 2 days (but who's counting). I generally let her choose what she would like to wear; but sometimes I try to make sure she's wearing appropriate footwear and outerwear for the weather. If she kicked up a stink about it, I'd just pack the appropriate stuff in her bag so she could put it on if she changed her mind when we were out. As she gets older, I like to think I'd give her more and more freedom in her choices - although I'd possibly draw the line on tops with offensive slogans on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I please ask what you would all do if your child was choosing to wear clothes that did not suit their body type?
    This is not a situation i have been in, but I am just interested what people would do if you as a parent can see that the clothing your child has chosen does not suit them, would you tell them so? I think this would be a really tricky situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    maybe the teens are packing clothes they're not allowed to wear and getting changed once they're at the shops? it's the type of stunt i used to pull in order to get my own way.

i like to think i will make my child wear appropriate clothes but i know in reality i probably won't feel like the fight and will just let him wear what he wants. i think it's a bit easier with a boy, they're not likely to want to go out in crop tops and short shorts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This has been a hot topic in our house lately- dd1 (almost 10) is very much into the latest fashion trends. There are some things I have an issue with- like when she pulls her shorts right up because she loves the high waisted short shorts look... which I wouldn't have an issue with except the pants she wears aren't mean to be worn like that and there's an obvious camel toe going on. She loves dancing so often gets around in a crop top and tights but if people come over I tell her to put a shirt on. It's not about restricting or controlling what she wears, it's just teaching her a bit of modesty.

A friend gave her a dress and its cause a lot of disagreements between DH and I. It's short yes but not so much so you can see what she had for breakfast. It's no shorter than the shorts she normally wears. And yes it is a tight fitting dress but it's a gorgeous style and suits dd1 so well even being a bigger build. The dress looks absolutely stunning on her and she feels great wearing it, but dh loses it when she does because to him it's too short and not appropriate. This being the same man who made a comment about how he would feel better if I was covered head to toe (before anyone says anything, it was said in jest and he doesn't actually expect me to do it!).

For the most part I don't care what my kids wear- if they feel comfortable and confident that's all that matters. My job is it to help guide them to what's appropriate or not in certain situations and teach them but not stifle their individuality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I wasn't actually thinking about adults here, I was thinking about teenage boys (or girls). I didn't mention pedophiles. I definitely think I need to consider why It bothers me that children who haven't even reached puberty yet are wanting to express themselves in this way, and whether it is sexual or not..
    I think most kids (12yrs +) who wear what we deem to be "inappropriate " clothing are in the throes of or through puberty. ..and of course they are trying to look "attractive", which at the end of the day is connected to our sexuality. We can't hide from teens being sexual beings..The may not (hopefully not!) be having intercourse but sexuality is something they are exploring

Im not sure if im missing your point though? Are you talking about teens looking at children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Can I please ask what you would all do if your child was choosing to wear clothes that did not suit their body type?
    This is not a situation i have been in, but I am just interested what people would do if you as a parent can see that the clothing your child has chosen does not suit them, would you tell them so? I think this would be a really tricky situation.
    But who is to decide what is suitable for a body type? I think if a girl or boy, teen or otherwise, wants to wear something, and they are comfortable then they should be free to wear that. Because telling a bigger person that they need to hide their fat, or tuck in their rolls, or disguise their body shape, just can't be right surely ? Why can only skinny folk wear short shorts and bikinis?
    Being confident in your body should be embraced regardless of shape

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    But who is to decide what is suitable for a body type? I think if a girl or boy, teen or otherwise, wants to wear something, and they are comfortable then they should be free to wear that. Because telling a bigger person that they need to hide their fat, or tuck in their rolls, or disguise their body shape, just can't be right surely ? Why can only skinny folk wear short shorts and bikinis?
    Being confident in your body should be embraced regardless of shape
    I agree with you, but teens are not so kind. I'd hate for my child to have body confidence and wear whatever they want and then be shot down and shattered by their peers. I couldn't see myself ever telling my child that what they are wearing doesn't suit them though, I'd want them to be confident wearing whatever they wanted. I'm just interested to see if anyone else would tell their teen that what they are wearing doesn't really suit them if it might help them out?
    As a teen I was the complete opposite, had no body confidence and was an absolute fashion failure wearing daggy dorky clothes because I didn't know how to dress. I would have loved to have had a fashionable mother or sister or aunt or friend that could have helped me out and helped me learn how to dress fashionably. Even now I have absolutely no idea how to dress myself and still get around in the most daggy crappy clothes ever. I know I won't be able to help out my daughter with fashion because I'm a failure in that area, but I do hope I can do better for her by finding someone that CAN help her, or that she learns from her peers unlike me who had no friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I agree with you, but teens are not so kind. I'd hate for my child to have body confidence and wear whatever they want and then be shot down and shattered by their peers. I couldn't see myself ever telling my child that what they are wearing doesn't suit them though, I'd want them to be confident wearing whatever they wanted. I'm just interested to see if anyone else would tell their teen that what they are wearing doesn't really suit them if it might help them out?
    Yep! There have been times when dd1 has worn something that really doesn't suit her and I have said so- it doesn't have to be done in a "that looks terrible on you!" way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (12-04-2017)