+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm, yes interesting thoughts. Would you feel differently if it was a different animal that had been killed? Say a rat, or guinea pig or rabbit or a cat? When I was a child we had Jack Russells....and guinea pigs. Needless to say it didn't end well! But we didn't get rid of the dog, the breed is well known and bred to kill rodents, so stupidity really on the human part to expect anything different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Hmmm, yes interesting thoughts. Would you feel differently if it was a different animal that had been killed? Say a rat, or guinea pig or rabbit or a cat? When I was a child we had Jack Russells....and guinea pigs. Needless to say it didn't end well! But we didn't get rid of the dog, the breed is well known and bred to kill rodents, so stupidity really on the human part to expect anything different.
    No, I wouldn't feel differently if it was another animal. Especially someone's pet, regardless of what it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me I would keep the dog but make any changes you think may be necessary to prevent any other small animals coming into your yard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Please be gentle in your responses, all involved are hurting enough.

This afternoon our neighbours (and close friend) tiny puppy (mini foxie x jack russell) got into our yard. Sadly our staffy got him and he passed away. I had no idea until they came running over and ran out the back to get the puppy but it was too late. They said our dog was not aggressive in any way, and they honestly believe she was only playing but due the size difference it ended the way it did- when they got to my yard our was carrying him in her mouth like a toy. He didn't have any visible injuries that we saw.

They don't blame our dog in any way. However, we have always said if we ever owned dogs and something like this happened, we would get rid of the dog as the trust is gone. And I hate knowing my neighbour would have to see her every day and remember what happened. I know it's not solely our dogs fault but now that trust is gone it will always be consuming me especially with our kids- what if they were out there. Now she has done it what's stopping her doing it again. And I know the pain of losing a much loved pet to a dog.

Dh and I believe it's best if she goes- it's breaking our hearts thinking about it because she is such an amazing dog and part of our family but we just don't see how we continue to keep her when we no longer trust her. She killed another dog- a dog that belongs to people we love.

I don't know what to do. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?
    I wouldn't get rid of your dog. They don't blame your dog. Your dog wasn't aggressive. It was just playing.

I would look at the fencing you have and make sure this can't happen again.

I'm sorry for your neighbours but please really think this through. Your dog doesn't sound like it needs to be re homed to me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just thought I would update....

After much discussion we have decided to keep our dog. We spoke with our neighbours about it and they are fully supportive which is a relief.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

amyd  (30-04-2017),babycake  (30-04-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (30-04-2017),Full House  (30-04-2017),Lanabananah  (30-04-2017),Phia  (01-05-2017),smallpotatoes  (30-04-2017),yadot  (30-04-2017)