+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Incident with dogs

Please be gentle in your responses, all involved are hurting enough.

This afternoon our neighbours (and close friend) tiny puppy (mini foxie x jack russell) got into our yard. Sadly our staffy got him and he passed away. I had no idea until they came running over and ran out the back to get the puppy but it was too late. They said our dog was not aggressive in any way, and they honestly believe she was only playing but due the size difference it ended the way it did- when they got to my yard our was carrying him in her mouth like a toy. He didn't have any visible injuries that we saw.

They don't blame our dog in any way. However, we have always said if we ever owned dogs and something like this happened, we would get rid of the dog as the trust is gone. And I hate knowing my neighbour would have to see her every day and remember what happened. I know it's not solely our dogs fault but now that trust is gone it will always be consuming me especially with our kids- what if they were out there. Now she has done it what's stopping her doing it again. And I know the pain of losing a much loved pet to a dog.

Dh and I believe it's best if she goes- it's breaking our hearts thinking about it because she is such an amazing dog and part of our family but we just don't see how we continue to keep her when we no longer trust her. She killed another dog- a dog that belongs to people we love.

I don't know what to do. Has anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very sad but I don't think you should make any rash decisions. If they saw it and said it wasn't aggressive, staffys are strong dogs who play roughly. The puppy was in your (& your dogs yard).....

And I really don't think you can compare humans and dogs. Dog aggression and human aggression in dogs are very different things.

Staffys are not called 'Nanny Dogs' for no reason.

I don't think you should make any decision immediately.

I am very sorry to hear of your neighbours dog though. Very upsetting for everyone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinklise For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree to a degree - rash decisions aren't great. But I understand that trust is broken.

Maybe have a break to gather your thoughts - can someone dog sit for a few weeks at their home? If after that you're still not feeling right about it, I'm sure there are many others who would love her to pieces. Your dog deserves to have owners who trust her too.

But yes, a very upsetting situation. Hang in there!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so sorry for what has happened. It's an awful situation to be in.
    I want to approach this gently, because as you said, everyone involved is hurting.
    I wonder though about the trust being broken idea. I don't know enough about dog behaviour to know if one incident with a dog, means there's more likelihood of an incident with a child, but also if you supervise your kids with your dog anyway, and your kids are taught how to behave with the dog appropriately (which I'm sure they are) then is trust broken? Or should ALL animals, including well known family pets, be treated with a healthy (not over the top) dose of caution given their potential?
    It's absolutely tragic. At the same time however, you did nothing wrong, and no one actually knows what happened. Did your dog attack? Or did he play and get too boisterous? Or did he respond to aggression from the small dog? I don't know.
    I think I would take some time to consider your decision and avoid making any decisions in the immediate aftermath.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I'm so sorry for what has happened. It's an awful situation to be in.
    I want to approach this gently, because as you said, everyone involved is hurting.
    I wonder though about the trust being broken idea. I don't know enough about dog behaviour to know if one incident with a dog, means there's more likelihood of an incident with a child, but also if you supervise your kids with your dog anyway, and your kids are taught how to behave with the dog appropriately (which I'm sure they are) then is trust broken? Or should ALL animals, including well known family pets, be treated with a healthy (not over the top) dose of caution given their potential?
    It's absolutely tragic. At the same time however, you did nothing wrong, and no one actually knows what happened. Did your dog attack? Or did he play and get too boisterous? Or did he respond to aggression from the small dog? I don't know.
    I think I would take some time to consider your decision and avoid making any decisions in the immediate aftermath.
    The neighbour saw most of it- and confirmed at no stage was our dog aggressive. Their puppy dug under the fence and ours grabbed him. She said our dog was just playing with him like a toy, not actively trying to attack or anything like that.

Thanks everyone. We have spoken to the neighbours since and they are obviously devastated but have reiterated that they don't blame our dog at all. The dogs (ours and theirs) have always played through the fence. While I do not believe our dog would be aggressive towards us or the kids, the fact she has killed an animal doesn't sit right with me as whose to say she won't do it again with the kids present?

It's a lot to think about. I guess some of it too is guilt that our dog was responsible, regardless of the situation

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    The neighbour saw most of it- and confirmed at no stage was our dog aggressive. Their puppy dug under the fence and ours grabbed him. She said our dog was just playing with him like a toy, not actively trying to attack or anything like that.

Thanks everyone. We have spoken to the neighbours since and they are obviously devastated but have reiterated that they don't blame our dog at all. The dogs (ours and theirs) have always played through the fence. While I do not believe our dog would be aggressive towards us or the kids, the fact she has killed an animal doesn't sit right with me as whose to say she won't do it again with the kids present?

It's a lot to think about. I guess some of it too is guilt that our dog was responsible, regardless of the situation
    There's bound to be that element of guilt, especially while it's all so raw. It's devastating for both families.
    You'll work out the right thing to do for your family. Be kind to yourselves as you work through this x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    (((Hugs))) what an awful situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, how awful for everyone involved

Look, there's no nothing to say she wouldn't kill an animal again - some dogs have a high prey drive and will chase after anything that moves fast. Both of my dogs would and have (no-ones pet thank goodness but wildlife, yes). But a small dog entering your yard is a pretty unusual situation I would think? There's a chance she might chase a rat or even a bird, which of course you wouldn't want your kids to see, but I wouldn't think that would be anywhere near the level of them seeing something like what happened today.

I do know a lot about dog behaviour (probably a fair bit more than child behaviour) and even if your dog had shown aggression in this instance, animal aggression and human aggression are entirely different things.

I certainly wouldn't be making any rash decisions and I don't think this situation warrants all trust in your dog being gone. It might just mean you now know something about your dog that you didn't before - it's best to avoid her coming into contact with small animals. That's actually a fairly easy situation to manage (coming from someone who has 2 animal aggressive dogs who can't even be trusted around each other!)

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your neighbours, it's an awful situation all round. I understand how guilty you must be feeling but it sounds like your neighbours have been understanding. It's just a terrible accident.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

FarmMumma  (12-04-2017),misskittyfantastico  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would keep the dog, but go to extra measures to ensure the dog can't dig out (and that no animal can dig in) so concrete around the fence line
    I had a dog kill our pet rabbit once...no puncture marks. The rabbit dug out of its run and the dog picked it up and shook it like a teddy and it died. I have a beautiful dog now who tried to kill pet rabbits...we rehomed the rabbits to ensure they were safe after we moved house because we couldn't separate them (we have a dog not known for their trust with pocket pets) but my dog is no way aggressive and makes for a great family pet.
    Even if your dog had killed the other dog in an aggressive act...Staffy's are beautiful human lovers, but without constant training they can be dog aggressive as it's their breed. Dog aggression does not mean human aggression...but it sounds like today was an accident.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (11-04-2017)