+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For
    I can't wrap my head around people being against this to be honest.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Full House  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default **trigger warning** Assisted dying

Yes, for terminal illnesses. My father died in pain in palliative care and would have much rather died without pain.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    totally for.

If I had a terminal condition .. where living is incredibly painful and quality of life is terrible ... I want the ability to determine when I have had enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For.

After watching both my grandmother's slowly lose themselves in dementia I wouldn't wish it on anyone. What is the point of having a quantity of life if there's no quality?

For the last 2 years of her life my nana was non-verbal and had no control over her body. She couldn't walk, had to wear diapers and be fed. Two years she lived like that. A newborn baby has more control than an 88 year old woman.

My other grandma cries on my shoulder when I go drop her dinner off that she just wishes god would take her already. And when she's crying that she wants to be taken that's when she's her most lucid - at other times she's asking how you got fresh vegetables because they're rationed because of the war, or telling you made up stories about when she was a school teacher (she was never a teacher).

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For.
    Watching my mum fade away when I was 14, losing her dignity, watching her pain, as she waited to die from ovarian cancer was so unbelievably unfair and cruel.
    I think there are many legal issues to resolve first. But I also think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think it happens already.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-04-2017),Calstar  (12-04-2017),gingermillie  (11-04-2017),misskittyfantastico  (11-04-2017),Renn  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely for.

Sure, there are a lot of ethical issues, but there are a lot of ethical issues around criminalising it too.

From a purely ideological standpoint, I believe that every individual should be free to choose whether and when they end their life. This would exclude treatable/manageable mental illness resulting in suicidal thoughts. If somebody's in a position where they are of perfectly sound mind, and truly feel that they cannot continue to live with whatever form of suffering they have (severe chronic pain/illness, terminal illness etc.), then who is anybody else to tell them that they must continue to suffer for the comfort of others?

I don't think that medical professionals should be put in a position where they are forced to assist if they don't wish to. There should be options available though.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-04-2017),gingermillie  (11-04-2017),misskittyfantastico  (11-04-2017),sajimum  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Absolutely for.

Sure, there are a lot of ethical issues, but there are a lot of ethical issues around criminalising it too.

From a purely ideological standpoint, I believe that every individual should be free to choose whether and when they end their life. This would exclude treatable/manageable mental illness resulting in suicidal thoughts. If somebody's in a position where they are of perfectly sound mind, and truly feel that they cannot continue to live with whatever form of suffering they have (severe chronic pain/illness, terminal illness etc.), then who is anybody else to tell them that they must continue to suffer for the comfort of others?

I don't think that medical professionals should be put in a position where they are forced to assist if they don't wish to. There should be options available though.
    I agree with this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Full House  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    No for me. While assisted dying would be an attractive option for the terminally ill, I feel it presents an ethical nightmare and is not something I can agree with.

For example:
    What illnesses will be deemed assisted dying worthy and which aren't?
    How terminal is terminal? 1 month left?, 6 months left? 2 years left?
    What about people who aren't terminal but have an illness or disability that results poor quality of life?
    What about people with mental illnesses or people who are suicidal?
    What about misdiagnosis? or the people who live longer than expected?
    More importantly doctors take an oath not to harm patients. I would hate for them to be placed in a position where they are required to end life.
    In my mind, an illness would not be enough to deem you eligible, it would have to terminal, I.e. Something with no known cure. does it matter how much time they have left? If it was me, I would only need enough time to get all my affairs in order and have some quality time with my loved ones before the suffering took over.

Misdiagnoses is a good point. I didn't consider that. I guess you would be seeking many opinions and speak to as many experts in the area of your illness before accepting that your condition is terminal. And i think it would need to be the decision of the person themselves, not for example, someone who had power of attorney, as there could be a conflict of interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally for. I agree with "each to their own", people should have the right to determine when their suffering is too great and be able to carry out their own wishes. This debate reminds me of the whole "keep your rosaries off my ovaries" debate. I hate that other people's religious beliefs can have such a profound negative impact on others.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-04-2017),Frankenmum  (11-04-2017),Full House  (11-04-2017),Lincolns mummy  (11-04-2017),sajimum  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For.

If I had a terminal illness and knew that I'd die a slow, painful, undignified death, I would like to have the option to end it on my own terms.

If my dog were in that much pain with no hope of recovery, I'd do the kind thing and put him out of his misery. Why can't we treat humans with the same compassion?