+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blighted ovum with doubled hcg levels

Needing some advice!!
    Have had two scans done one at 5 weeks & 4 days all was seen was a empty gestational sac then one done at 6 weeks & 4 days again the same thing then 5 days later after last scan had another blood test done my levels were showing they were doubling but ultrasound lady and doctor is saying blighted ovum. Does any one have any advice on what to do. As hcg levels are consistent with what the gestational sac is measuring weeks wise. So confused!
    Thank you and advixe would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry you're going through this, the uncertainty is just awful! With a blighted ovum, a placenta may form and continue to grow, even in the absence of a baby. The placenta is what produces the HCG hormone.

6 weeks, 4 days is still very early and can be too early to determine viability of a pregnancy. Usually most Drs won't do an ultrasound or determine viability until around 8 weeks, as the position of implantation and the shape/direction of the uterus can affect visibility in scans (eg. Tilted uterus). Also, if your scans were done externally (so just on your belly) they won't be able to see anything accurately until around 12 weeks.

Personally, I would wait another week and a half until you're 8 weeks, and go for another scan. If there's still no sign of a baby, then unfortunately your Dr is most likely right. I know the wait is agony, but its the only way to know for sure what's going on.

Best of luck! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your advice I'm thinking of waiting to get another scan and blood test done. They did an internal scan as well as the external one. My hgc levels 2- 3 weeks ago were 3100 and today we're 15100.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to read too much into the HCG levels, my experience is that they mean nothing much in terms of viable pregnancy. They are just an indicator. Wait and have another scan. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

amberk1  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your advice is it normal to only see a gestational sac at 6 weeks & 4 days do you think ? Or do you have any similar expirences at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Honestly my experience isn't good. I've been pregnant 11 times, DS is only only live birth (pregnancy 10). 2 were suspected blighted ovum.both were empty sacs when I saw them, the first was at 8weeks though and the second was at 5weeks(i was miscarrying during this scan). I haven't had a scan around 6 weeks, they usually make me wait until closer to 8weeks as it's more likely they can see something.

The heart beat starts sometime during week 6, they usually then give it an extra week incase dates are out as a day either way can mean a lot that early. You still have a chance as it is very early still. Have you got another scan planned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amberk1 View Post
    Thank you for your advice is it normal to only see a gestational sac at 6 weeks & 4 days do you think ? Or do you have any similar expirences at all?
    At that gestational age you would expect to see a little grain of rice shape, possibly with a flickering heartbeat. However, if your dates are out, if you have a tilted uterus etc, or if the scan was external, then there's a chance that it was just missed on the scan. I don't want to give you false hope, your doctor has seen your scans and made this call on a blighted ovum, so he must believe that's what it is. But it pays to just wait it out a bit longer, just to be sure. I'm really hoping the best for you, I know all too well how heartbreaking and stressful the uncertainty is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just been through a blighted ovum, it was with ivf. With ivf a viability scan is almost always done at 7 weeks. At my 7 week scan there was just a empty sack but my hcg level was still doubling, apparently they need to rescan 2 weeks later for correct diagnosis for a blighted ovum. So at 9 weeks the scan hadn't changed and my body hadn't recognised a miscarriage so I opted for a d&c as at 9 weeks all I wanted was closure from the torment. I looked pregnant and I had people asking me it was horrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a d&c for blighted ovum at exactly 7 weeks. Hcg was also rising as normal as I was getting regular blood tests due to ivf. I had to do a final scan on the day of the d&c just in case (it was about the 4th scan and I was getting very upset as I felt like it was dragging out) so I asked what's the point and they said every now something just appears, so the last thing we want to do is terminate a viable pregnancy.. so it does work out for some lucky people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, conceived by IUI so they knew the dates were correct. I went in at 7 weeks for a scan and they saw a empty sac measuring 5 weeks. I hadn't had HCG levels done prior so not sure if they ever doubled normally. After the scan my HCG levels weren't doubling every 36hrs, more like every 4 days. I waited till 8 weeks went for another scan that showed the sac had grown a little but was still empty. I opted for a d&c which I had the following day.

Are they sure of your dates? That's another possibility, you could have ovulated later in your cycle so are not as far along as you think.

I'd wait until at least 8 weeks then have another scan done by that stage they should be able to see something in the sac.