+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational diabetes :(

Hi guys

I was diagnosed several weeks ago with GD and have been insulin dependent for 3 weeks already. I'm struggling with ANY kind of carb but when I take insulin before meals it either doesn't help enough to keep it low, or I drop too low and have a hypo. Does anyone have tips or ideas on what to eat or how to manage GD better? I see a diabetes educator and endocrinologist and follow their advice carefully but it just isn't going right for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What insulin are you on and how soon before eating are you taking it? Do you take X amount X number of times per day or some every time you eat?

Keep making contact with your DE and endo, daily if necessary to let them know what is happening. The first few weeks are a bit of trial and error figuring out what works for you.

Also are you eating low GI carbs as that will help keep things a bit more level.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

TV123  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on humalog and humilin and take between 4-8 units before meals. There aren't any breads I can eat, be it low gi, whole grain etc. I'm eating lots of salad, veg and protein, low gi pasta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I had GD and my levels also went crazy if I was eating too little carbs. From memory I think it was 15g a serve and I had to have at least 2 at a time. Have you tried yoghurt as a snack? I found it excellent. I couldn't eat pasta but I could eat whole meal bread. Carmens muesli bars were great as well (can't stand them now). Do they have classes at a community health centre near you? I attended a class and it was fantastic help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

TV123  (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to the classes a few times and it's so depressing to hear the other ladies are cutting out chocolate and white bread and are doing great. I'll give the muesli bars a go, it's the snacks that are the worst for me, an apple just doesn't cut it on its own. Yoghurt is great for me most of the time, but had a yoghurt for breakfast on Monday, sugar was 8.1, but then had the same size tub as a snack on Tuesday and I was 2.8 afterwards! It's so inconsistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had GD whike pregnant also but was only diet controlled so don't know how much help i would be but for snacks i would havw an apple or banana or 2 rice cakes with vegemite. I would also walk after each meal, even if it was only 30 mins & it helped alot. I would get the odd over reading but not often. I know the bigger i got the walking got harder but knew i had to do it, it took a little longer but also dont stress as stressing can raise your sugar levels....easier said then done i know but goodluck ☺