+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 week old.. sleep question

. I need help DD is 3 weeks old, doing really well at night for the most part I fed she goes to sleep. Generally she is a super chilled easy baby, But during the day I cant get her to stay asleep in her bassinet. I keep trying to put her down about 5 minutes later shes awake. So I have done this three times today picked her up put her on my chest and shes gone straight to sleep. The house is a mess and I need to get stuff done but I cant as she wont stay in her bassinet.. any thoughts? I have tried her capsule which she likes more but still wakes...
    During the night or when I can get her to stay asleep she will sleep for 3-4 hours no problem but during the day she keeps waking 5 minutes after I put her down. Am I spoliing her to much by picking her up? Its just need to eat and go to toilet at some point...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 3 week old.. sleep question

Have you tried a swing?

When both my babies were little the motion of the swing helped them sleep.

It sounds pretty tough but I never allowed either of my girls to nap/sleep on me (unless they were really sick) as I needed that time to either catch up on sleep myself or do housework!

ETA: and please don't let anyone guilt you into feeling like you should just allow a baby to sleep on you!

Some are attachment style parents, others are not, and that's ok.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-04-2017 at 15:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 weeks is a hard time, I found none of my newborns wanted to sleep anywhere but on me at that age. I found that making sure they were wrapped really snugly and putting them in a slightly inclined bassinet helped. Sometimes a dummy helped soothe them too. You are not spoiling her by picking her up. It's a very short moment in time, if she needs snuggles she needs snuggles, try and go with the flow a little bit. If you have a good baby sling or the like, put her in that and go about your day - i had a hug a bub which allowed me to do light housework while bub slept on me. Or eat a sandwich lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Swing or baby sling/Ergo. Perfectly normal that she wants to be on you to sleep - not long ago she was inside you, after all. All of my babes have taken their day naps on me - with the first I just took the luxury of sitting down with her and resting - now with olders to care for, it's in the Ergo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was similar he always had to be held to sleep during the day. I ended up getting a Fisher Price Cradle Swing, it was a life saver!

The swing I had swings side to side or front to back, the seat had 2 incline settings, plays music or nature sounds & had a mobile. He loved it! I'd get him to sleep in 1-2hr blocks during the day (he fed a lot, every 2hrs on average during the day) & when I needed to cook dinner he was kept amused by the mobile & nature sounds.

It was such an asset I have had one for each baby (this little one has one waiting for her too).

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's normal for baby to desire closeness with you. Google the fourth trimester. Definitely consider baby wearing - you'll be hands free & baby will be happy attached to Mum. It won't last for ever. And the idea of 'spoiling' a Bub is rubbish. Bub is showing you what she needs right now, do your best to meet those needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I do wear her were i can but at 4.6kg she gets heavy. I also have a history of back issues but abdominal seperation so no abs to speak of. So wearing her gets hard. I might look into a swing. Not that i dont love our cuddles its just i look around and see everything that I need to do and I do go a bit nuts...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We found DD would wake up because the bassinet sheets were too cold. After we started putting a heat pack in there to warm it up a little before putting her down it wasn't such a big transition from a warm body to a cool bassinet. We took the heat pack out and made sure it wasn't too warm before putting her down of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As above, it's pretty normal, but frustrating. One thing that helped me cope was doing housework etc while baby was awake. Put baby in pram/bouncer/mat on the floor and have them near you. You'd be surprised how happy babies are just watching you go about your daily business - DS loves watching me hang out the washing from his pram.
    Then you can try to settle in the bassinet but if it all goes pear shaped and you have to hold baby for a couple of sleeps you're kind of on top of things and don't feel so anxious about watching some Netflix on the couch while you hold your sleeping baby.
    Once I got rid of the mindset of trying to get everything done while baby slept I relaxed a lot more.