+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default daughter told me teacher hurts her

My 6 year old daughter is in year 1 and has two teachers this year lets call them T1 and T2. T1 she has 4 days a week and T2 she has 1 day a week.

Before she started this year id heard negative things about T1 how she yells at the children and can be unkind. I know what u hear isnt always true and i have found her to be pleasant. One morning i did notice the way she was telling off one of the students wasnt overly nice. She was quite intimidating. Shes in her early 60s id say.

My daughter loved her teacher last year ( as did i) but started asking me every morning if she had T2 today (as she loves T2) but when id say no sweetie you have T1 she would say she didnt want to go to school. she told me she didnt like T1. She sais she was mean.

My daughter is on an individual learning plan as she is struggling a bit with reading and numbers but is progressing so i think T1 looses patience with her. My daughter has told me that on several occasions when she hasnt dont her work right the teacher will rip up her work and give her another sheet. But my main concern is that my daughter has told me she has grabbed her and pulled her back to her desk and on one ocassion to the floor where other students were sitiing and said it hurt her.

Im not really sure how to address this as i dont have any experience in this area but i dont think a teacher has any right to grab any child. Even if they are frustrated. My daughter cried and cried and begged me not to go to school today and said shes scared of T1. I told her id speak to T1 but if she did it today that she should tell T1 " its not okay you cant grab me" but she said shes scared. Should i speak to T1? Or is there someone else im best to speak to? Im not great with confrontation.

My daughter was telling me she has asked to go to the front office and ask for mummy and her teacher has told her no. I want my daughter to feel that im there for her if she needs (within reason)

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I want my daughter to feel that im there for her if she needs (within reason)
    you are there for your daughter no matter what. she's your child, anything you do for her is "within reason".

i have no problem with confrontation so i'd be pulling T1 aside asap and giving her a stern sharp going over. if that's not your style, i would suggest calling a meeting with T1 and the principal and discussing it in that forum.

my main concern would be T1 then taking it out on my child again, maths not using physical force as you've described above, but subtle ways of undermining her or wrecking her confidence....calling her out in front of others, that sort of thing.

you cannot let this slide at all. T1 needs to be taught a lesson that being mean to kids is not on.

failing all the above, can you request your daughter be moved into another class with another teacher?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

dani251  (10-04-2017),LaDiDah  (10-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017),Wise Enough  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your poor daughter.
    I would go straight to the Principal.
    I'm not saying she is guilty of everything but I would want a third party aware of the situation and privy to any discussions.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (10-04-2017),LaDiDah  (10-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017),Wise Enough  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    you are there for your daughter no matter what. she's your child, anything you do for her is "within reason".

i have no problem with confrontation so i'd be pulling T1 aside asap and giving her a stern sharp going over. if that's not your style, i would suggest calling a meeting with T1 and the principal and discussing it in that forum.

my main concern would be T1 then taking it out on my child again, maths not using physical force as you've described above, but subtle ways of undermining her or wrecking her confidence....calling her out in front of others, that sort of thing.

you cannot let this slide at all. T1 needs to be taught a lesson that being mean to kids is not on.

failing all the above, can you request your daughter be moved into another class with another teacher?
    Thank you, i just meant i didnt want my daughter thinking she could just go to the office and ask to be picked up for every little thing. But this i dont consider to be a little thing. If shes hurt or upset she should be able to contact me.

Thats my other concern to, that it will irritate T1 and she will use other means to intimidate her. Perhaps more subtle ones which is just as damaging.

Moving to another class is not an option, this was made clear when we found out what classes our children would be in at the end of last year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Your poor daughter.
    I'm not saying she is guilty of everything but I would want a third party aware of the situation and privy to any discussions.
    Im thinking i might need to do this. I know if i speak to her directly she will deny it and i think going above her would be the best way to handle it. I juts feel awful about the whole situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would definitely address this with the teacher. If what your DD is saying is accurate then this teacher is out of line. I would make an appointment to meet with the teacher when your DD isn't around. Tell her that your DD has mentioned some incidents to you and you wanted to discuss it with her before taking it further. Ask her outright if she has torn up your DDs work when it is wrong? Has she grabbed her and pushed her into her chair or onto the floor? If she's really doing these things I assume she will deny it as no educator could think this behavior is acceptable. But I think just the action of your being assertive and letting her know that your DD tells you what is happening and that it is unacceptable might make her think twice. I would also tell her that if your DD comes home with any reports of this type of behavior again you will be taking it up with the Principal. After you've had your meeting with her email her a copy of what has been discussed so you have a paper trail and if it continues I would take it up with the Principal.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (10-04-2017),Renn  (10-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017),Tainted  (10-04-2017),Wise Enough  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Your poor daughter.
    All this.

Sorry to read this OP. Hope you get some answers and your DD is ok

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would speak with principal asap, write down everything DD has told you so far and organise a meeting with principal stat. It is so very important for your daughter to know that if she feels unsafe she can come to you (as she has) and something would be done. Personally I wouldn't be confronting the teacher about anything, of course she would deny it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (10-04-2017),Minniemin  (11-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a USB stick that records voices from Ozspy, because my daughter was having a lot of trouble with a boy bullying her at school, calling her horrid names etc, pushing and shoving her and enlisting other kids to do the same thing. Any attempt to go to the teacher or principal was met with "We've talked to the child and he denies that is happening" or "So and so's mother says he isnt that sort of child". So I gave the USB to my daughter and when she was being harrassed or bullied she pressed the button. Now the bully has been suspended for 2 weeks. Cant argue your way out of direct evidence.

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (10-04-2017),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2017),Californication  (10-04-2017),CazHazKidz  (10-04-2017),Constanceprice  (10-04-2017),dani251  (10-04-2017),gingermillie  (10-04-2017),LaDiDah  (10-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-04-2017),MissMuppet  (11-04-2017),softshellcrab  (10-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (10-04-2017),Wise Enough  (10-04-2017),witherwings  (11-04-2017),yadot  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go direct to the principal too. Do you know other parents in the class? Can you talk to them and see if their kids have said similar things, or can corroborate what your DD is telling you?

My other thought is does your school do parent help for year 1? If so, I'd be putting myself on the roster so you can see for yourself what the teacher is like. I doubt she would do anything in front of you, but you can at least gauge how she interacts with the kids. But it sounds to me that she should not be teaching. And definitely not teaching 6 year olds.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-04-2017)