+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Supply drop after gastro? Unsure help!

Ok so I've had a hellish week. It started last weekend with DS2 getting gastro. Followed by DS3 on Wednesday, he 8 months and we spent most of the day at the ED. I didn't eat or drink properly that day as I was there on my own and the nurses while absolutely unreal were super busy. I asked for a bottle of water at about 11am and didn't get it until 4 pm.

Ok then Thursday I started feeling off, thought it was because I was tired and dehydrated from day before. Tried to up my fluids but sure enough by lunch time gastro hit me. Cue 18 hours of vomiting and the runs. Zofran did t even help! Dh then went down with it on Friday night. So I wake up yesterday morning like a zombie, exhausted, dehydrated, haven't eaten properly since Tuesday.

Right I know this is long sorry and I'm rambling a bit - still bloody tired. So I can feel my supply has dropped. I'm worried about DS3. Mood wise he is fine, he is not unsettled or irritable. I am feeding heaps and having lots of skin to skin. I started herbs of gold breastfeeding tablets Friday afternoon. I had porridge yesterday for brekky and will again today.

Why am I worried? Because he is not having as many wet nappies. His poo yesterday was seminformed (first time always been typical bf pops before). This morning his nappy (huggies) feels maybe a 1/3 full and it's been on for 12 hours i would normally change once overnight. If for some reason I didn't it would be like a great big overfilled balloon by now.

So I'm freaking out. What do I do? Is he ok?
    @Mamasupial I know you had issues recently. How did you know with DD2's nappies?
    @Atropos I know you have heaps of info on bf

Wishing missilemack (spelling it's been so long) was still around.

Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know he has been sick but how is his solids intake? Does he drink water?

For your supply - do you have a good health food shop nearby? You can get brewer's yeast capsules to help boost supply. Or you can make lactation cookies.

Lots of fluids, skin to skin. Offer milk lots. If you have a pump try pumping after feeds.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mate, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Did you say bub is 8 months? So having some solid food? That could account for the poop changes. I would keep going at you are. Keep demand feeding, keep up skin on skin (a bath together is always nice)and keep up your fluids and nourishing foods. If you can, have a day in bed. Relax, eat and drink, snooze and just keep feeding. That should bump your supply plus it's a lovely excuse to recuperate from gastro. (Can I ask what your previous user name was?? )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both DS2 and myself have had a terrible cold, we are currently on day 10. My supply has dropped aswell I've also had day surgery nearly 2 wks ago and was on endone for a few days for pain relief. Drinking and eating is always hard when you sick and I've literally had to force myself to do both. So I've had to power pump to boost myself up.

Is he having any water direct from a sippy cup?

As I said I'm power pumping and giving ds his milk in bottle so I know what he is getting.

I was going to suggest porridge as I have that aswell and a smoothie for lunch with fruit and oats in it aswell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I breastfed both my kids (DS nearly 4 years, DD 15 months), and my supply always dropped if I got sick. Good news is it's temporary and it will return. Your body needs to be well hydrated to produce milk, so of course it'll drop production temporarily until you recover.
    Hope you're feeling better soon!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yep I had a big supply drop. LB stopped having wet nappies. She only improved when they put in an IV.

It took me ages to get my supply back up. Heaps of feeding, heaps of power pumping, motilium, fenugreek, blessed thistle, coconut water, poweraide, water...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I will just keep going. It's so hard.
    @Mamasupial god that must have been so scary for you. We still have wet nappies just not as much as usual.

I'm offering water with meals. Gave him some water melon at breakfast as well.

Oats in a smoothie is a great idea thanks @babybeeno1 I don't have a pump but might pick up a manual one today - the electric ones have never worked for me. I think the noise messes with my head.
    @twinklify I'm w the Herbs of Gold Breastfeeding support tablets but will try the brewers yeast as well.
    @Hollywood I'm still queasy but we are definitely all on the mend.
    @Atropos have sent you a PM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-04-2017)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Big hugs @binnielici, you've certainly been through it! Hope you and all your men are feeling better soon xx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Big hugs @binnielici, you've certainly been through it! Hope you and all your men are feeling better soon xx
    Thank you. So good to hear from you. You've been missed lovely lady!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How are you and Bub now Hun?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-04-2017)