+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I never tried to keep it up with my daughter, I think she figured it out around 5 or 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "What do you think?"
    "Oh that's interesting, and why do you think that?"
    "Well a lot of people don't believe and usually it happens as you get older. Especially adults. I think as you get older you believe in Easter and Christmas rather than in the bunny and Santa. Does that makes sense? So it's still the same thing but it becomes more about family and time rather than excitement and gifts."

Mine are 11 and 9 and the 11 year old has outright said she no longer believes but still loves the holidays and wants to continue it as a tradition. 9 year old has said he doesn't believe in bunny but isn't sure about Santa.
    Both have agreed that either way it works because youngest is only 1 so lots of years of magic' to come.

We never did the big magic thing though. Santa is kinda the delivery guy here. Parents pay for gifts (curbs the I want x y z and a b c) and he delivers with a surprise. We also never really outright asked what they wanted from Santa, we would ask what they want for Christmas/Easter. Make a Christmas list rather than a Santa letter.
    It's just the way my parents did it and H liked the idea, and even their mum did it for a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
    If other people's children decide to go around telling other children that Santa/Easter Bunny aren't real. Are they good children? I have been in line for Santa photos at Myer and had 6/7 year olds walking past yelling to all the children in the line (from babies to teens) that Santa isn't real. Do you think that's a good child?

Finally, MY KID - MY RULES. It is in no way harming her.
    My DD found out at 7/8, as I said she wasn't devastated, there was no crying. She was fine, often I think we as parents feel it's going to be way worse then it is.

I quoted the above because it reads so defensively to me, I could be wrong, by all means of course it's your child and your rules, I don't think pp are being critical of your parenting, but empathetic towards your child, you know how it is in high school, kids can be mean. Kids get teased for the most trivial things.

As far as this question "are they good?" And "do I think that is a good child" made me feel so sad, my kids would not behave this way, but no, I would not think that kids I saw behaving like this are "bad children"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
    When she's questioned me about other kids saying Santa/Easter Bunny isn't real, I tell her because they're naughty kids and Santa/Easter Bunny doesn't come to them, so their parents have to buy their presents so they don't miss out.
    This is horrible!
    If I heard someone say this to their child I would be pulling them up on it.
    Do not ever label another person/child naughty just because their beliefs differ... my god the consequences of statements like this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (11-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (11-04-2017),SoThisIsLove  (11-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replys everyone. She has told me she knows me and dh hide the eggs so Im sure she will just come out with it in time.
    I can still remember finding out the easter bunny wasnt real and declared I wasnt going to eat the eggs but as soon as I saw that full basket I quickly forgot my anger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am very honest with my kids about most things, like they know that fairies aren't real (yet they still 'believe in the tooth fairy', that magic is just an illusion. They are having religion classes at school and I have straight out told them that I don't believe in god and that they get to make that decision for themselves, but they also need to understand science and facts and make their decisions based on those things. We still do santa and tooth fairy - the fact that I'm generally so very honest with them about life stuff makes me wonder if they actually believe that it's real or they're just playing along, and I really don't care either way haha. They're good kids - they'd never want to spoil anything for anyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD still believes in Easter bunny,tooth fairy and santa. As a teacher I see kids love to ruin the magic or be the bringer of bad news with the 'it's your parents that hide the eggs etc.' Each to their own about raising children with different values, one thing I would not tolerate from my own child is them ruining someone's else's beliefs. I love that she still believes and although she is very clever, (asked why the toys say made in china) she loved the explanation of that santa had many different workshops around the world. I will maintain the belief with as many white lies and special stories as I can, because there is so much negativity in the world. Childhood is meant to be magical, I had an awful childhood living with my parents as my father was extremely verbally abusive, and I absolutely treasure the many moments I spent with my grandparents as a child, and love the extra things they would say and do for me to make Xmas etc special. I get that some people don't want their child misled or think it's ok to lie but from my own experience, it makes me put in that extra mile with every holiday that we have each year.
    Last edited by TV123; 11-04-2017 at 22:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had this question quite recently. My DD said is Easter Bunny real? I said "What do YOU think?"
    She said she thinks yes because last Easter I was making pancakes in the kitchen and Dad was setting up the DVD player so it couldnt be us putting out eggs.
    I just said "well there you go then".

Childhood is such a magical time where kids dream big and magic is real and anything is possible. I dont like to hit them with reality too fast.

As for Xmas, I personally really HATE that my kids go to a Christian school at that time, because there are so many kids at very young ages announcing to the class that Santa is not real and that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and not about presents. I tend to respond with "Well even Jesus got gold frankincense and Myhrr".

I like the magic of Easter and Christmas and all that goes with it. Other people might not but I dont want them ruining it for my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for late response - I've been away from my computer for a few days.

I'm sorry if my last post seemed defensive. It wasn't meant to sound that way at all. We all have different way of doing things, and I do mine - my way.

I would like to say that the "lies" Ive told my DD about Santa were in response to her comments about "X told me Santa wasnt real". She was about 5 or 6. She has never asked since. I might add, that I didn't think she believed last Christmas about Santa. She bowled me over with her comment about the shoes. We truly thought she didn't believe. If she asks/brings it up, of course we'll tell her the truth - I was thrown for a loop when she mentioned the shoes.

There are a few comments about saying naughty/good actions rather than naughty/good child. Blah, blah, blah - I'm not that politically correct. Besides, as the saying goes - it's none of my business what others think of me (and I really don't care what others do think of me). So it's really no one elses business what I think of them (as long as I'm not broadcasting it far and wide). Ive had discussions with my DD about naughty kids. Ive never had discussions with those kids or those kids parents about their kids behaviours. Fact is, there are naughty kids and naughty adults in this world. How often do you have to do naughty acts before you aren't thought of as a good person?

We've had very open discussions about other people not believing in Santa. She has a couple of friends who are Jehovah Witnesses. We have had discussions on various religions and the factual reasons behind Christmas and Easter (and she did scripture all through primary school).

To the person who decided they would pull me up if they heard me saying someone else's child was naughty - feel free, but be prepared for a discussion. Besides, as I said I don't say it to others and what I discuss with my child are between us and not broadcast for others to hear.

For those that would like to judge my other parental choices ...
    - My DD has been dying her hair since the age of 8 with non-permanent dye. She has been bleaching and colouring her hair since the age of 9/10. She currently has a full head of hot pink hair with a big blue streak.
    - She has a TV in her room.
    - She does not have a "set" bedtime - she self monitors this. She has realised how she feels the next day if she hasn't had enough sleep and decides for herself her own bedtime.
    - She is often left home alone anything from 10 minutes to 6 hours. We started leaving her home alone occasionally from age 7/8 (out of necessity) for up to 2 hours.

I realise the way we live rubs some up the wrong way and they just can't understand why I do what I do, but it works for us. I don't understand people that don't give their children the magic of make believe.

Oh, and yes, I'll be a little sad when she no longer believes. (I admit devastated was much too strong a word) The magic just wont be the same, but I'm a grown up and I will cope. I've been through much worse.