ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 7 year old never believed they are real but likes to pretend they are and I let that be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is nearly 12 (year 7 - High School) and still believes. DH thinks we should tell her, but I can't bring myself to do it.

We did get questioned a few years ago about the Easter Eggs in the shops and I told her they are for people to buy for their cousins, Mums and Dads, Grandkids (Easter Bunny doesn't come to us - she picks our eggs).

As for Christmas, if she sees what she got in the shop after Christmas, I tell her that the shops wait until Christmas and see what the Elves have made and they get them made and put in shops and we have a discussion about how wrong it is to steal the Elves ideas. She did ask this year (after looking at her shoes) "It says genuine leather - of course, but it also says made in china. Why?" I told her maybe the Elves ran out of time to make the plastic sole so they bought them from China. I also told her I didn't exactly know, because I'm not an Elf. She was happy with that.

When she's questioned me about other kids saying Santa/Easter Bunny isn't real, I tell her because they're naughty kids and Santa/Easter Bunny doesn't come to them, so their parents have to buy their presents so they don't miss out.

It will break my heart when she doesn't believe anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just tell my kids that they are a game we play and we make believe they are real. They enjoy the "magic" of leaving out a snack for Santa or having the tooth fairy visit or the easter bunny, but I'm not going to lie to them and tell them that they are real.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
    When she's questioned me about other kids saying Santa/Easter Bunny isn't real, I tell her because they're naughty kids and Santa/Easter Bunny doesn't come to them, so their parents have to buy their presents so they don't miss out.
    ...seriously??

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-04-2017),BabyG4  (09-04-2017),BettyV  (09-04-2017),binnielici  (10-04-2017),cheeeeesecake  (09-04-2017),DT75  (11-04-2017),Full House  (09-04-2017),gingermillie  (09-04-2017),JustJaq  (09-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just say to my dd do YOU believe they are real? She says yes and I say well there you go, they are. A kid a few years ago was yelling at her that Santa isnt real.

My sisters philosophy is "you believe you receive".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Sweet Tooth  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is far too young to be questioning these things yet but my plan is to be honest when she does ask questions. I'll tell her that Santa and the easter bunny are both make believe but that those ideas remind us about the magic of giving without needing anything in return. (Obviously I'm going to need to work on the wording). I'll tell her that yes mum and dad buy the presents and that won't change because, for us, there are no conditions on receiving. I think enlisting them in keeping the magic alive for younger kids is important too.
    I don't know if my answer is a bit different because Santa and the easter bunny aren't the focus of our holidays anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    I just say to my dd do YOU believe they are real? She says yes and I say well there you go, they are. A kid a few years ago was yelling at her that Santa isnt real.

My sisters philosophy is "you believe you receive".
    Yep that's what my parents said to me, they still give us all a "Santa" present so DS still sees DH and I get a present from Santa every year ( he thinks when your an adult you only get 1 thing from Santa as he's way too busy )

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my kids questioned I asked them if they believed. If they said yes, then I'd tell them that it was true...if they weren't sure or said no I didn't try and convince them otherwise.
    I'm not in to the whole 'Santa only comes if you're nice' thing and told my kids that Santa brings only the amount of presents that the parents are happy for them to have - so some kids might only get one present from Santa because they get lots brought for them throughout the year, or because they don't have much room in their house, or because their parents want to buy presents as well etc. In our house Santa brings all the presents, but that way it explained the differences between what kids get easily enough.
    I would tell my kids before high school though. I think by highschool age they should know the truth.
    Last edited by Full House; 09-04-2017 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    ...seriously??
    Yes, seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good View Post
    Yes, seriously.
    So your kids think it is naughty not to believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

DT75  (11-04-2017)