+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my waters broke and i went into labour on my own but due to meconium in the waters, i was monitored from the time i arrived at hospital. it turned out ds was in distress so i was on and off the ctg basically the entire labour. my labour stalled however (contractions just stopped) and i was put on the drip. from there i requested an epidural as the drip made the contractions too painful and of course bub's distress became a real concern. typical cascade of interventions that culminated in an emergency cs. i was pretty deflated myself after it but the point is everyone got through it safe and healthy.

i thought when you got induced you had the gel to get the cervix going. i always thought the drip was for people whose labour stalled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    i thought when you got induced you had the gel to get the cervix going. i always thought the drip was for people whose labour stalled.
    So there are a few methods for inducing labour. The use of prostaglandins (the prostin gel or cervadil tape) - which are designed to soften or "ripen" your cervix and the use of a balloon catheter - which is designed to efface/dilate your cervix. The whole point of both these methods is to get your cervix to a point where your waters can be broken (ARM) and syntocinon started. If your cervix is already dilated to a certain point, then they can go straight for the ARM/Syntocinon.

The gel alone won't automatically put you into labour. It can for a small percentage of women, but not most. Most women will experience varying degrees of what we refer to as prostin pains, which are basically period cramp/back pain of varying intensity. In most cases they will settle with simple analgesia (panadol, panadeine, panadeine forte, depending on what your dr is happy to prescribe) and heat packs/a warm shower.

In majority of cases of induction whether it be a balloon catheter, prostaglandin or an ARM, it won't be enough to actually start contractions so when the cervix is at a stage when an ARM is possible, the syntocinon drip is usually commenced very shortly afterwards to start the contractions. Obviously there are variations to this, but this is the basic principle of what happens in an induction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default VBAC - induction and continuous foetal monitoring

Thanks for all your advice / experiences, especially @M'LadyEm (you are such a fantastic resource and so willing to share your knowledge!). Thankfully I managed to avoid induction and had my little boy yesterday morning :-) they wanted to give me fluids through a drip while I was labouring and I promised to drink tones more water so managed to avoid having to be hooked up to two things!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (09-04-2017),M'LadyEm  (09-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats @JR03!