+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default VBAC - induction and continuous foetal monitoring

Hi ladies, I'm currently 40+5 and an facing induction next week if bub doesn't come on his own before then. I was reading a brochure I got from the hospital which says I'd be hooked up to the drip obviously from the start, through until baby is born. I also need constant foetal monitoring as it is a VBAC, though I'm going to try to negotiate 20 mins on / 20 mins off on the day if all is going ok.

I'm feeling pretty deflated by it, I've worked so hard to get my VBAC up until this point, trying to stay fit, doing research, doing a calmbirth course and the associated preparations, etc., and I feel like this could really destroy my efforts if I'm basically strapped to 2 different machines. I'm worried not being able to be very active is going to lead to more and more interventions which which just lead to a c-section anyway, when I could just have an elective one now and get it over and done with. My positive thoughts towards this birth have taken a huge dive tonight.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a drip as well as monitoring for the duration of their labour, how did it go, did it lead to further interventions, did you achieve a vaginal birth or end up with a caesarean? I'm trying to remind myself that a healthy baby is all that matters but I just didn't realise this is what induction meant until I was faced with it :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My waters broke and I was 2 cm dialated when I presented to hospital. They told me to walk and sleep. Checked me 2 hourly still 2 cms and hardly any contractions. 8 am still 2 cms so they hooked me up to drip with syntocin as I needed to get things going as it had been 13 hours since water broke. I had the drip and a monitor on belly for contractions. Things sped up about 1230 and I had an epidural. I was confined to bed which was fine by me and at 545pm I delivered my healthy boy after an hour of pushing. Had a slight tear which needed stitches but all in all was a great birth with no intervention apart from being cut and by 830 I was up showering on my own and asking hubby when can we have another baby lol

Baby 2 was a c- section at 34 weeks and I much prefer the fast birth than the 22+ hours I had with DS ...

Good luck and I hope the birth is everything you want and more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks @Louise41 for sharing your experience and your well wishes :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced with my DS and had a drip and constant monitoring- and was able to move around. The drip cord was long so as long as I was mindful of it I could move a fair bit without moving the stand. If I did want to move the stand I was helped by DH or the midwives. I was also able to have a wireless monitor so that enabled me to move if I wanted. It was a quick labor and no further intervention was required.

Best wishes! And I hope Baby chooses to make an appearance before then

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

JR03  (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does your hospital have telemetry (wireless) monitoring @JR03? That's what I'd be asking for. With that you're wireless to the CTG machine and the only cord you'll have is the one for the drip. It will give you so much more freedom to move around, and you can even be in the showery with it on. Being active is key. Did you labour with your first? You could potentially negotiate a couple of hours once they break your waters to see if you go into labour from that alone before they commence the syntocinon drip, although you'll need the cannula from the get go.

I did Calmbirth classes with one of the girls I work with and she reinforced to me that you can still follow the principles of Calmbirth, even with an induction. So don't think that if you end up being induced that it's all over in regards to that. If you remain active, upright and focused you'll hopefully continue in the right headspace.

Also, try to focus on the positives. Induction does not necessarily mean cascade of intervention and repeat CS at the end of the day. I have seen plenty of successful VBACs (both induced and spontaneous) as well as plenty of successful inductions. Just focus on the positives as that's what will help you most to achieve the birth you want. A positive mindset goes a long way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for my first birth (so not a VBAC). I didn't have the drip, nor even a cannula in preparation for a drip. I just had the gel, and started labouring off that. Maybe you might not need the drip afterall?

I did have continuous monitoring, but didn't find it too restrictive.

No cascade of interventions for me ☺ Drug free VB.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Having had a CS, the only options for induction are a balloon catheter or an ARM (artificial rupture of membranes) +/- syntocinon infusion. Gel can't be used as it is contraindicated with a uterine scar. Hopefully you just go into labour spontaneously @JR03!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Having had a CS, the only options for induction are a balloon catheter or an ARM (artificial rupture of membranes) +/- syntocinon infusion. Gel can't be used as it is contraindicated with a uterine scar. Hopefully you just go into labour spontaneously @JR03!
    Thanks for clarifying M'LadyEm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Thanks for clarifying M'LadyEm!
    No probs. I didn't want it to come off as if I was lecturing or anything negative. Just imparting some knowledge! We get so many women coming in who are ill informed (or have absolutely no idea whatsoever) that I'm hopeful I can at least educate the ladies of Bub Hub to a point! Obviously everyone has different experiences as well - I'm just going to stick to the factual stuff. In roughly 6-8 weeks I'll have my own personal experiences to go off () so we'll see what happens then haha.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    No probs. I didn't want it to come off as if I was lecturing or anything negative. Just imparting some knowledge! We get so many women coming in who are ill informed (or have absolutely no idea whatsoever) that I'm hopeful I can at least educate the ladies of Bub Hub to a point! Obviously everyone has different experiences as well - I'm just going to stick to the factual stuff. In roughly 6-8 weeks I'll have my own personal experiences to go off () so we'll see what happens then haha.
    Lol. I always appreciate your knowledge and expertise. ☺ I was just sharing my own personal experience, but my genuine thanks for clarifying that it's not relevant to the OP's circumstances!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (07-04-2017)