+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy First time on a plane.

Hi any tips?

1).....mum is terrified of flying.

2) hubby is a season pro.

3) 5yr olds first time. Big mummies girl.

I have seated daughter next to dad and me behind them. I have never flown without my someone I knew next to me. I need my husband near me. But also recognise daughter needs to be seated next to him and NOT me.

I do not want her to see mum freaking out. I don't want her to get a complex because of me. I take valium and I will also be using music. Does anyone know if I can use an ipod on take off? I am also going to try music.

Its only a one hour flight but Im already freaking out about it. Imagine me going overseas NOPE not going to happen.

I called the flight company so that they could put a note in about me being a nervous flyer, well nervous is more like I hate hate heights.

They should have looked at making submarine travel quicker. I would be fine with that.

Mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do some practice doses when you've got nothing important on to work out the dose of Valium that will relax you without sending you to sleep. Take it 30 min before boarding if possible.
    Would having something to do with your hands help? Like a fidget cube or similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a horrible flyer..... i mean horrible. I get motion sick for entire flights even with medicine but i am also terrified. I have been to over 50 cities in the last 3-4 years and i can say it was worth it.

One thing that really helps me is to look at the flight attendants.. during moments of turbulence / fear.. it helps to see that if theyre calm, its probably normal.
    Another thing that helps calm me is looking at how many planes are in the sky at any given time.. it really puts things into perspective. During take off and landing i like to close my eyes and take deep breaths.. by landing Im already too exhausted from sickness to care haha

I still get really nervous and i hate everything about flying but i hope i visit 50 more cities and towns because its worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't 'love' flying but I can suck it up so that DD doesn't see that there's anything to be afraid of. She's a "hands-in-the-air-WOOHOOGOOOOOPILOT" kind of girl, literally and loudly. I flew to Dubai recently and had no idea how I was going to get an that plane without a panic attack, turns out to be the best flight I ever had. Depending on the airline there should be a relaxation channel on the entertainment system, would that be something that might help? Or comedy channel? Are you sure that you'll freak out - and what would this look like? Would you consider sitting next to DD to 'force' yourself to keep it together? It might be a bit worse if there is an empty seat next and she's wondering why you're not sitting with them?

Good luck, you're going to be fine. Don't count out overseas travel, just slowly slowly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    I don't 'love' flying but I can suck it up so that DD doesn't see that there's anything to be afraid of. She's a "hands-in-the-air-WOOHOOGOOOOOPILOT" kind of girl, literally and loudly. .
    Haha, this is my DD too. We've flown during a storm with shocking turbulence and she was cackling her head off, as if it was an amusement park ride

I, on the other hand, was having a full blown panic attack right next to her. I managed to keep it from her pretty well (or DP did, by leaning over me and keeping her distracted!), but next time I'll definitely let DP sit in the middle so I can freak out in silence. I HATE flying so much.

Looking at the flight attendants really helps me too. Thinking about how many flights go in and out of airports every single day with no problems whatsoever. Reminding myself that planes are safer than cars. I can normally get through it - that storm completely threw me though!

I'm sure your DD will love it. Just be as enthusiastic as you can around her, give her tons of activities to do and make sure DH is chatting away to her the entire time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes you can use hand held electronics in flight mode.

There are fear of flying courses that used to be offered, really helped my mum. Think it was run through qantas? You all do a graduating flight together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    get some anti anxiety tablets, you'll be fine. i used to hate flying too. definitely not a fan by any means now but i can do take off and landing sober and drug free now, which is huge. i despise landing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a nervous flyer too. I always bring an ipad wih something interesting to watch, headphones in, and just try to distract myself as much as possible. I dont look out the window and I pretend I am on a bus. I do find the more I fly, the better I am, but I also wonder how i could possibly do a longer flight than 2 hours. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sooo could have written this post. This is exactly me! My daughter has been flying since 2 years old and I promote it where I can, so she doesnt grow up with the same fear as me. I never got on a plane until I was 23. Although I have flown a few times since, only within Australia. We have always booked 3 seats across so that the three of us sit together. Either Miss 7 sits in the middle or usually she loves the window seat so I sit in the aisle seat (I hate to look down haha) hubby sits in the middle next to me and her. I take a very small dose of valium 30 minutes before flying. I hate that I have to do that but it makes flying manageable and given that I am prone to panic attacks I cant think of anything worse than having a panic attack mid air. For me the worst part is take off and landing. I am generally ok mid flight. When the plane takes off I crank up my music or the tv as loud as possible with earphones on so I cant hear any noise, hold on tight and close my eyes. Once we are up in the air I am generally fine. Unfortunately my in-laws are interstate so we generally fly at least once a year. I must admit the meds take the edge off and the more I fly the more at ease with it I feel. Good luck!!! xx