+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default I don't understand my results. Can anyone help?

I got my Day 21 Progesterone test results today and it was 1. Not even the 4 it was in October, but 1! So yeah, absolutely no ovulation. I wasn't completely surprised since this month I've had no physical symptoms of ovulation so far.
    I googled (of course) and it said progesterone peaks a few days to a week after ovulation so for normal 28 day cycles, day 21 is right.
    But my cycles have been all over the place.
    Is it possible I hadn't ovulated yet (and still might) or is that wishful thinking? I've got some bloating and slight cramping for the last 2 days and I wondered if it was my period coming or ovulation.

I'm nearly 38 and my amh was 7.4. FS said this was normal for age. The lower end of normal but still within normal range. What does this actually mean in terms of egg reserves? Or time left? Or can't it be that specific?

The FS then asked if we discussed chlomid. No we didn't. What does chlomid do? All she mentioned in our appointment was metaformin (sp) was a possibility if my pelvic u/s showed any signs of pcos. What does metaformin do?

It's frustrating hearing "keep losing weight and we'll talk again in a few months. In the mean time keep trying" although it is motivating. But I'm just trying to understand what this all means.

Any input is welcome! L

Thanks
    Reviews

I probably won't be too helpful as I haven't done clomid or metformin.

The progesterone level indicates you haven't ovulated. The level is only coming from your adrenal gland at the moment. When you ovulate, the corpus luteum formed by the collapsed follicle starts producing progesterone so it is low a day after ovulation, then really increases hence them asking for a test on day 21, 7 days after ovulation. Before we started ivf and I was having all the bloods done, I got my day 21 bloods on day 26 as I had been ovulating on day 19. When do you normally ovulate?

With regards to AMH, it is getting low but it isn't terribly low. Mine is worse and through ivf I have collected 4 - 9 eggs so there are still eggs there . When you have an ultrasound, they will probably do an antral follicle count, which would also give you an idea of ovarian reserve. They like to see 12 and mine was 8.

Have you been diagnosed with pcos? I thought with pcos you would have high AMH.

If you go on clomid, that will cause you to ovulate so you will know when to dtd.

My understanding of metformin is that it lowers insulin levels. Women with pcos tend to have high levels of insulin and this causes the ovaries to make more testosterone thus causing irregular cycles. By taking metformin, this should help you be regular.

I hope this helps a bit and hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge of metformin and clomid comes along soon!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Rose For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (05-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear your Dr hasn't been giving you the explanations in enough detail.
    Yes if you don't have a standard 28 day cycle the 21 day progesterone test can easily miss ovulation. Many FS do a tracking cycle to determine if/when you are ovulating - BT every few days to track the hormones. This gives a more accurate picture.
    My AMH was 1 before DD and 6 before DS. I don't rate it as a test due to the huge difference in my results 3 years apart, but my FS said 6 was on the low side for my age (34) but not terrible. So yours seems not too bad for your age.
    Metformin regulates hormones (works on sugar metabolism), it's a diabetes medicine, but has helped lots of women with PCOS to start ovulating. I think you need to take it for a few months to start seeing a difference.
    Clomid stimulates ovulation. We did 3 cycles - you take the tablets for 5 days at the start of your cycle, have a couple of blood tests & maybe a follicle scan, then DTD when the clinic tells you to. My FS recommended 3 cycles then move on, which we did.
    Metformin might be a good one to start now - it can help you lose weight! Why not ask for a prescription and start it in conjunction with continuing to lose weight (easier said than done I know!) for 3 months and then reassess with the FS?
    Hope that helps, sorry I just spewed info onto the page let me know if you want clarification on anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you for you @Wild Rose and @rosey82 this is helpful.
    I don't actually know when/if I ovulate. What I do know is that I've had positive OPK on day 28 (January) together with ewcm and also had positive OPK and ewcm on day 20 and 21 (March).
    I'm now on day 23 and haven't had any ewcm but having a little bloating and a bit of heaviness in the pelvis which made me think ovulation or period coming.
    No diagnosis of pcos but since I'm quite overweight, the FS suggested doing a pelvic u/s to says things out.
    I did read that amh like mine might indicate no pcos. So that's good. I guess the FS wanted to cover all bases with tests since I have to travel 1.5 hours to see her.
    The metformin was suggested as a treatment if I do have pcos. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes. Blood tests haven't indicated it, although I'm yet to do the fasting test.
    She didn't mention chlomid in the appointment at all so I was surprised to hear her mention it today.
    I don't want to be negative about her. She rang as soon as she got my results. I guess I just need to be more proactive in asking questions at the time.

It sounds like metformin might be a good idea in conjunction with weight loss. I'll see what she says about that.

I appreciate the help girls. This whole topic is mind blowing and totally unfamiliar to me.

I've never been more grateful for my beautiful DS. Who at the time was created really easily!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (05-04-2017),Wild Rose  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Last edited by TheGooch; 05-04-2017 at 21:02. Reason: Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you might need to do some further testing to get to the bottom of why you're not ovulating regularly.
    I just about drove myself insane trying to figure out when I ovulated back when we were trying naturally.
    When I started with the FS I lived 4 hours away, but could get blood tests and scans locally so that helped reduce travel.
    Clomid is fairly non-invasive, you can have the blood tests locally and the clinic calls you with instructions.
    It certainly is information overload and tests galore when you first see a FS!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-04-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    it doesnt necessarily mean anything much - just that you have not ovulated yet.

My suggestion would be to do blood test tracking - to determine whether (and if so, when) you ovulate.

If you arent ovulating properly or regularly, then go the next step for investigating why.

But dont stress too much in the interim. It is normal for your ovulation to be irregular after having children. It does make conception a bit more tricky - but still can easily be natural.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on metformin for PCO. What Rosey said pretty much sums it up. Although I'm done diddly done with having kids I stay on it to help insulin resistance. I have never tested positive for diabetes.

If you start metformin PM me and I will give you the low down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @TheGooch I just had a thought and have you had your thyroid checked recently? Hypothyroidism can also cause no ovulation or infrequent ovulation. Your doctor may have already ruled that out so is now wondering about pcos.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Rose For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you all! This whole thing is just hard work!
    I had thyroid checked by GP back in October and all was fine.
    I'm vitamin d deficient but taking ostelin daily.
    I actually think I ovulated today or yesterday. I had cramps and a heavy feeing and then CM changed and tonight an OPK gave a positive. Well I think it's positive - see below!
    Thank you all for suggesting the blood test tracking. It makes sense that it sounds like a more thorough way than one test on day 21.
    I'll ask about metformin when I get my u/s results.
    It's all an incentive to keep losing weight and hopefully regulate my cycle a bit.
    IMG_1491476396.710944.jpg
    Apologies for the shadow