+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Food panic!

I know this has probably been asked many times before but what do you do when you're eating out? Like think food court kind of situation? I was in one today trying to find lunch and I became totally overwhelmed. I wanted to choose something nutritious but I'm so uncertain about the safety of salad bars etc. I should really be on top of this given it's my 3rd pregnancy.. But i think this time with 2 young kids I have less time to prepare lunches and find myself eating out more. Thoughts??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm strict on risky listeria foods like ham, soft cheese, etc., but maybe a bit relaxed on salmonella risks like food court foods. I just make sure whatever I'm eating is hot, like from a food court I'd probably get a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich or noodles, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm with you with the fear! I had a late pregnancy loss and I know people who lost babies though listeria. It's a real concern. Rare but real.

I just forgot the healthy eating thing while out and stuck to hot chips and toast.

I mentioned this to my GP and she laughed and said she ate hot chips every lunch throughout all her pregnancies for the same reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you have to eat in a food court the healthiest thing would be a falafel kebab, it's usually falafel (chickpea ) and you can choose what to go on it (I usually choose tabouli and red cabbage and tzatiki and cheese ) then they wrap it in pita bread and toast it so it's hot or get a wrap or toasted sandwich, anything cooked fresh and hot is your safest bet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you have to eat in a food court the healthiest thing would be a falafel kebab, it's usually falafel (chickpea ) and you can choose what to go on it (I usually choose tabouli and red cabbage and tzatiki and cheese ) then they wrap it in pita bread and toast it so it's hot or get a wrap or toasted sandwich, anything cooked fresh and hot is your safest bet
    Yes this is a good thought.. I walked past a kebab place but saw all the salad sitting in the window but I hadn't thought about getting something toasted.
    Last edited by Mambo; 04-04-2017 at 19:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I'm with you with the fear! I had a late pregnancy loss and I know people who lost babies though listeria. It's a real concern. Rare but real.

I just forgot the healthy eating thing while out and stuck to hot chips and toast.

I mentioned this to my GP and she laughed and said she ate hot chips every lunch throughout all her pregnancies for the same reason.
    Yes I've gone the hot chips option a few times, but I'm putting on quite a lot of weight, and generally feeling blegh! I wish it was easier! But the risks are scary for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about soup?

I got a ramen or a pho when pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not much help - I used to go for hot chips pretty much exclusively in this type of setting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I'm not much help - I used to go for hot chips pretty much exclusively in this type of setting!
    Same here. I was too paranoid so stuck with deep fried. I also tried to just avoid food courts.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Im another one who sticks to hot chips and gravy when out lol