+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Perfectly fine for adults, weddings etc, but it just seems presumptuous for little kids. Are you going to be judged if you only put in $10? That's all some people have to spend.

It would be Ok if they said something like "little X would love a new bike for his birthday, so if you would like to contribute to that, it would be fantastic" but to just straight out ask for cash is off. No issue with the book though. But even then, asking for a book AND cash? Seems off to me.

As for asking for money to cover the cost of a party at the zoo, I don't agree with that either. Guests shouldn't be expected to pay for the party! If you can't afford it, don't do it. Or ask people to pay their own entry in lieu of gifts.
    Agree money for a wedding is fine most people live together so have everything.

The first party was at a local park were in Queensland, they went to sydney for a weekend to go to the zoo. Sorry I worded that a bit confusing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do understand because children just own so much these days. So many little toys that really are unlikely to be treasured and kept forever, it makes sense asking for money instead, perhaps to save up for a big ticket item or family item. I can't imagine anybody judging the amount given; at least not in our circle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I do understand because children just own so much these days. So many little toys that really are unlikely to be treasured and kept forever, it makes sense asking for money instead, perhaps to save up for a big ticket item or family item. I can't imagine anybody judging the amount given; at least not in our circle.
    I agree, it wouldn't bother me as I know a lot of kids have way too much stuff already, and I'm always worried that I'll double up on something they already have, or pick something that they don't like. So I would be kind of relieved to see that on an invite and not have the pressure of picking the right present.

But I don't think I'd ever send out an invite asking for money as I'd worry about people's reactions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's something I do myself - and I haven't yet witnessed it amongst my circle. I'd even feel a little weird asking people to contribute a small plate of snacks or bottle of kid friendly drink for the party, instead of buying a present.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's incredibly rude, under all circumstances - engagements, weddings, baby showers, baptisms and birthdays. To me, it shows a complete lack of etiquette.
    I will never ever give money as a gift, and certainly not when it's asked for. Just plain rude in my opinion.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (05-04-2017),RoseMay  (05-04-2017),TheGooch  (04-04-2017),Wise Enough  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fairly new to kids birthday parties so have never come across this before. Personally I don't think it's right to be asking for money for little kids or specifying they want books instead of cards.

I have a set budget for school friends presents and try to buy things on special so the birthday boy/girl gets a good quality present that doesn't cost us a fortune. If I was to gift the budgeted amount as cash I don't know if it would be seen as being cheap or not up to par. I'd hate for DS to be no longer invited or ridiculed because we didn't give enough.

DS loves to get money as a gift but that's the choice of the giver, he nor we would ever ask for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I actually wish they would, or at least tell us what to buy , it's hard buying gifts for kids when your not exactly sure what they have , want or need (especially in the first year or two of school when you don't know the kids very well yet)
    I'd much prefer to give cash so they can buy what they want, with our friends we usually give ideas or know their tastes but with school friends it's harder as most say nothing or he would be happy with anything , then we spend hours trying to find a gift we think they would like!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (04-04-2017),BornToBe  (05-04-2017),Happymum2  (04-04-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have to admit with DD's friends we do often give cash ... but that is our choice, its not something the parent has ask for.

I do think its rude to ask

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have been to many parties and never even heard of that for kids. We have given money to one child though but we knew he was saving for a particular game and his parents thanked us. I believe most people gave money for that party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it depends on if you're related to the child or not.

My nieces and nephews get some money & a gift. So do godchildren.

If you're talking about random friends or school friends, then I think it's rude to ask for money, nor would I oblige with that request.