+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Settling for day nap

Good Morning Everyone,

I apologise if this has been discussed before, I had a search around but could not find anything specific.

I wanted to ask for some feedback regarding settling my 8 week old for her day naps. I am now bottle feeding. She is happy and healthy and is gaining weight nicely however she not often takes the whole feed which I offer her at each feed. I follow the feed play sleep routine and as she was never finishing her feeds, I found myself offering her what was left in her bottle to make sure she had a full belly just before I put her down to her nap. I found this would make her quite drowsy and would settle her quite well. I do make sure when I put her down in her cot, she is awake, she is often looking up at me whilst I cover her up and once I leave the room I will hear her squirming around and groaning until she goes off. She will occasionally grizzle for a short time and then will go off to sleep. There has been time however where I've missed that window and by the time I get her to her cot she may be snoozing however I try to make sure I get her down drowsy.

I wanted to ask whether you think I might be creating a bad habit here? Am I right in saying that if she is napping for 1.5 + hours is sleeping well through the night she is able to self sooth and settle herself to sleep on her own? Is it possible for a baby to know how to self sooth and then regress and no longer how know to do it? (if that make sense)!

I am a second time mum and had such a hard time with my first baby putting her down for her naps. I am hoping this might be my answer for putting my second bub down without any distress.

Sorry for the long post but TIA.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you're doing great! I actually fed both my kids to sleep and didn't bother putting them down drowsy (as it didn't work with either of them!), but "they" say that you should put a baby down awake and let them self settle as much as possible to promote good sleep habits, and that's what you're doing. There are definitely times that regressions might happen (sickness, teeth, developmental reasons) so don't be too upset or shocked if she sometimes needs extra help to get off to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think youre doing great. I dont have kids but find schedules fascinating and have read books on sleep training babies . They all say you should put them down drowsy so that they learn how to self soothe quickly.. this way if they wake up in the middle of the night, often they will self soothe and fall back asleep where as if they havent learnt this, they will need to be picked up and put back to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you and bub are doing great. The advice I would offer is not to overthink it (hard to do I know). As a PP has said, bubs' sleep will most likely change and fluctuate any number of times for any number of reasons over the course of the first few years. I have myself just come out of having to rock my 2 year old to sleep for about the last 2 months. He is normally 100% a self settler, but every now and then it changes and you just have to go with what works.

I found getting caught up micro managing sleep is a recipe for disaster when bubs starts to find a new routine. You feel like you must be doing something wrong when in fact that is just what babies do! They change. All. The. Time!

So keep doing what you are doing, and be prepared to be flexible and go with the flow when that is required.