+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't want to alarm you, but I wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow to start antibiotics. An untreated UTI can progress quite quickly to a bladder and/or kidney infection, and the latter can lead to long term damage. I have had a few uti's and if ural hasn't flushed it out within 24 hours, my dr has always out me on anti's. They still test to make sure the anti's are the right ones for the bacteria present, but my Dr's have never made me wait 2 days to start treatment. I'd be asking for a script today. Especially as your boy is still quite little.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Full House  (05-04-2017),MrsSS  (05-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree. I am not one for rushing antibiotics but your poor little boy if he has a UTI. It is horrendous, and can quickly go to the kidneys which is serious and can put people in hospital for days on IV antibiotics. I am surprised your GP was so relaxed about it really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will ring first thing in the morning and see what I can do. Worried now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry hun, I didn't mean to worry or upset you. You did the right thing in taking him to the Dr, but I don't think the Dr did the right thing by you in making you wait for results before starting treatment. The dark smelly wee is because he's dehydrated. When I get one, it's like pi$$ing glass and I feel like I need to wee every 5 minutes. I make myself drink constantly to try to flush it out, but at his age, all he understands is it hurts so that's why he'll be holding on.

Has he been any better today?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (06-04-2017),Full House  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I don't want to alarm you, but I wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow to start antibiotics. An untreated UTI can progress quite quickly to a bladder and/or kidney infection, and the latter can lead to long term damage. I have had a few uti's and if ural hasn't flushed it out within 24 hours, my dr has always out me on anti's. They still test to make sure the anti's are the right ones for the bacteria present, but my Dr's have never made me wait 2 days to start treatment. I'd be asking for a script today. Especially as your boy is still quite little.
    Yes all this.

You've done the right thing hun, but I'm unsure about the doctor's response.

My dd had one at 4yrs, she was constantly wanting to go the toilet, she had pains in her belly and went down hill so quickly. My doctor did a urine dip test and five minutes later we were given antibiotics. He definitely sounds like he needs them.

Being a parent is so stressful especially when they get sick xxx.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Sorry hun, I didn't mean to worry or upset you. You did the right thing in taking him to the Dr, but I don't think the Dr did the right thing by you in making you wait for results before starting treatment. The dark smelly wee is because he's dehydrated. When I get one, it's like pi$$ing glass and I feel like I need to wee every 5 minutes. I make myself drink constantly to try to flush it out, but at his age, all he understands is it hurts so that's why he'll be holding on.

Has he been any better today?
    Sorry, I didn't want to sound sensitive. I am worried. He only did 3-4 darker wees yesterday and was upset about doing them. He did perk up between them though. Happy to play and have something small to eat and drank more yesterday. He won't take any nurofen or panadol so I'm feeling helpless. Tried putting it in some milk before bed.. he's now not wanting milk. Tastes yucky.
    I'm going to ring first thing but I dont know what this doctor is like.

4:45am and ds was crying. Went in and assumed he was trying to wee. Then the wet noises started. He just had a nappy that was liquid poo. Like put him on the change mat and it just poured out the nappy. So he's miserable. I know the doctor was worried if we give antibiotics they could make the diarrhoea worse. He was fine yesterday (no runny poo) and this morning was like 🤢

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    Yes all this.

You've done the right thing hun, but I'm unsure about the doctor's response.

My dd had one at 4yrs, she was constantly wanting to go the toilet, she had pains in her belly and went down hill so quickly. My doctor did a urine dip test and five minutes later we were given antibiotics. He definitely sounds like he needs them.

Being a parent is so stressful especially when they get sick xxx.
    Thank you. I think at the time I was happy with his answers but now I've got nothing? Im wishing our normal doctor worked 5 days. I like her and the way ds is with her.
    He wanted to go to bed with daddy so I'm on the lounge. I just want to make it all better for him and I can't xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (06-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you can't get into the doctor first thing maybe you could take him to the hospital, he does not sound well. I'm saying this as someone who has had lots of UTIs which can go from nothing to passing blood within 1-2 hours, it is excruciating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second everything people are saying about not delayed the antibiotics. That's seems odd (of course I'm not a doctor though). Every time I've had a suspected UTI the doctors have told me to start the antibiotics immediately. If the test results come back to say that they have given me the wrong type or something I go back to get a different script. I was in a remote area once and couldn't get antibiotics and ended up with a medivac for a kidney infection and was in hospital for days. It was horrible. I don't want to be an alarmist but I don't understand why the doctor wouldn't give your poor DS a broad spectrum antibiotic. I hope everything is sorted soon. This must be so stressful for you xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you get on with the Dr this morning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are heading to the doctor this arvo. Ds has turned a corner and I seriously wouldn't believe there's been anything wrong if I didn't see it myself. He's definitely off and not his normal self but he's now sound asleep (along earlier than normal) and will be going to the doctor not long after he gets up. Df and I said that we would make the appointment for this arvo and if he was still horrible by lunch we would take him to the hospital. He's doing well but I'm still a bit worried. I am going to be extremely firm with the doctor this arvo. I know my child and I know he's not 100% and want answers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (06-04-2017)