+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would my IVF option be with a genetic condition?

Hi

I have a few very no idea what im talking about questions about IVF.

I am cautiously naturally pregnant but after i fell pregnant (for the third time after 2 mcs) i found out i have a balanced translocation between chromosomes 13 and 21. This means i only have a 30% of getting pregnant naturally with a healthy baby.

If this baby doesnt work out.. i am thinking of going down the path of ivf as i find the "odds" too painful to deal with naturally.

My FS said "you get pregnant very easily so you can just keep trying till it works"... but .. there are six scenarios and only 2 out of those six are healthy babies. I just dont think i can play the russian roulette again if i have to terminate at 14 weeks especially considering im having a hell of a first trimester and missing heaps of work.

So ... with all this in mind.. how do i approach IVF if that is my next step. These may sound like stupid questions but i dont know much about IVF.

Is there an option to do ivf without any extra drugs and stimulants (eg clomid , as i dont need help falling pregnant.)

All i need is them to look at my eggs, look at husbands sperm and pick the ones that have the correct amount of chromosomes. Is this still IVF or is it assisted conception and how does this process work exactly?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'd likely have to do full IVF to get a number of embryos and have PGD testing done to pick out the normal embryos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes KarmaJane is correct. If you do clomid there would only be 1 egg which reduces your chances. Full ivf means you would get multiple eggs that they could test and find the normal ones.

You inject medication for around 10 days and then when the eggs are ready you go under general anaesthetic usually and they remove the eggs. They put the eggs with the sperm and watch them grow. Then they test the eggs to make sure they put the good ones in. Happy to answer any questions you can PM me

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to do full IVF with PGD testing of the embryos. You will be stimulated to produce as many eggs as possible, they will be fertilised and grown out in the lab to day 5 or 6 and then those suitable will have some cells biopsied. You will then get a result on each embryo tested as to whether it's chromosomes are normal or not. The normal ones will then be suitable for transfer.

You need to be with a fertility clinic that does PGD.

I did PGD due to my age given that 90% of eggs at my age are chromosomally abnormal and I wanted to avoid transferring abnormal embryos are miscarrying. On my fourth cycle I got one embryo that tested normal and he is now 4 weeks old.

I hope this natural pregnancy works out for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Green lady For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'll still need full ivf with drugs and stims. When egg retrieval is complete they test every embryo created for genetic testing which will be an added cost yet again. Where I am my private clinic charges $400 per embie I think it is or there abouts. If they are no good then they are disposed off. I knew if someone who had this but it was different chromosomes. 5 miscarriages including one that went to 18 wks, 2 rounds of full ivf with 27 eggs collected and none where any good. Depressing yes. Then a miracle of another natural pregnancy resulting in a happy and healthy little ds who has just turned 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks everyone!... something to think about i guess.