+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I had both my boys in private and actually never ever thought to want to go public at all. I wanted continuity of care from the same OB & same midwife that worked with my ob i wanted my own choice for a paediatrician for my babies. Own private room so I didn't have to whisper around a complete Stranger. Staying longer in hospital and to not be kicked out the next day.

I know of girls that have had their babies one day and are home the next with no idea what to do

1 option you could do with your phi is have your own cover with obstetrics that way it's only your cost to you and your dp has his own cover.
    Thanks for that. I've looked at upgrading just my cover but there still is the out of pocket expenses (I'm guessing around 3.5k), so we would both need to agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone....

I'm in Brisbane, so public would be the Royal or the private hospital I would want is North West.

I know that he has done it before, but I haven't, I will be scared and anxious and will want to be comfortable & not kicked out straight away.

Might give it a while and talk again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went private for my first 2 babies and public for my second two so I've been in both situations.

I went public with my second two because I felt very comfortable with the whole process, didn't feel the need to stay overnight, and was comfortable with just the minimal care in the lead up.

So, here's the thing. I was happy with my public care because I was experiences and knew what I was doing, but if I HADN'T been... well... it was actually pretty awful! Hah! It was NOTHING like private care. I barely saw anyone for my entire pregnancy and even right at the end, my last check was at 35 weeks where all that happened was a heartbeat check and fundal measurement, and then I saw no one again until they day i walked in and had him 2 days after his due date. This didn't concern me at all as I was not anxious about it at all and knew what i was doing, but I remember thinking far out.. imagine if this was my first.

If you have the option to go private for your first then it's a really good idea. Just because his ex didn't doesn't mean you shouldn't. You're not his ex... you're you. If you feel more comfortable going private, and it is an option for you, then that's what you should do. Yes he gets some say in making decisions of course, but ultimately YOU will be the one who is pregnant and birthing a baby not him. You need to do what's right for you.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (04-04-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (04-04-2017),Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I went private for my first 2 babies and public for my second two so I've been in both situations.

I went public with my second two because I felt very comfortable with the whole process, didn't feel the need to stay overnight, and was comfortable with just the minimal care in the lead up.

So, here's the thing. I was happy with my public care because I was experiences and knew what I was doing, but if I HADN'T been... well... it was actually pretty awful! Hah! It was NOTHING like private care. I barely saw anyone for my entire pregnancy and even right at the end, my last check was at 35 weeks where all that happened was a heartbeat check and fundal measurement, and then I saw no one again until they day i walked in and had him 2 days after his due date. This didn't concern me at all as I was not anxious about it at all and knew what i was doing, but I remember thinking far out.. imagine if this was my first.

If you have the option to go private for your first then it's a really good idea. Just because his ex didn't doesn't mean you shouldn't. You're not his ex... you're you. If you feel more comfortable going private, and it is an option for you, then that's what you should do. Yes he gets some say in making decisions of course, but ultimately YOU will be the one who is pregnant and birthing a baby not him. You need to do what's right for you.
    I totally agree with this. I work in the public health system and I hate the fact that it's becoming more of a production line (so to speak). We are expected to discharge within 24hrs of birth. If we don't we have to provide justification as to why someone has stayed longer. It is so frustrating when you are being pushed to discharge women so quickly when you know they'd benefit from an extra day in hospital. It might work better if the home Midwife service was set up to do more visits than they actually do, but it all comes down to government funding (which is what sucks most of all). I would have no qualms sending people home after 24hrs if I knew they'd get 2-3 visits in the first week alone and then the option of a weekly visit up to say, 4-6 weeks. But it just doesn't happen.

On the flip side though, I have seen some women come through privately who are completely acopic and don't want to go home from hospital. They are too reliant on the midwives and really struggle with the thought of having to go home and do it for themselves and end up staying extra days. It's hard to know where the happy medium is.

OP if you want to go private, go private. If your DP talks you in to going public then definitely apply for the midwifery group practice through your hospital. Continuity of care is a major contributor to a good outcome in my opinion. Even if things go belly up at the end, having someone you know and trust (be it a doctor or a Midwife) can help you feel more confident and comfortable with the decisions you make.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-04-2017),Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm expecting my third this year and will be going private for the third time. For me continuity of care is a big factor. I like having the same Ob who knows my history and with whom I feel very comfortable and safe.

For some people having your partner stay overnight is not that important but it is for me. Having DH there 24/7 provides me so much comfort and support, especially after my first when I didn't know what I was doing and felt so unsure and nervous.

I also like that you're not rushed out the door. My friend just had her third yesterday in a public hospital and is home already. She had a bloody awful delivery and poor thing is already on her own with her 3 kids in so much pain. After having both of my children I stayed in hospital 5 nights (both caesarean) and am so grateful I had that time to rest and heal.

Also with my first I ended up having an emergency caesarean which is very scary and I was so glad I was in a private hospital with an Ob I knew. I can't imagine if I had ended up in the hands of a doctor I didn't know and then had to leave hospital after a day or two and not have DH stay with me overnight. I would have been a mess. Some people are strong enough to handle that but I know myself well enough to know that I'm not and wanted the security of being in a private hospital and having the luxuries and perks in a worst case scenario, and I was very glad we had gone private when everything started going wrong.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my first in the private system and my second in the public system.

Advantages of going private were continuity of care, longer stay in hospital following birth and a private room where DH could stay. Having my own OB int he private system and knowing he would most likely be there for the birth was reassuring for me, and I definitely needed the extended hospital stay to help establish breastfeeding with my first.

When I had my second, I did shared care with my GP. It was great during my pregnancy, but for the birth I ended up with a horrible, pushy OB who treated me as someone incapable of making any decisions for myself just because I was in labor. It was a pretty horrible experience. The follow up care also wasn't at the same standard as the private hospital I was at - they were short staffed alot and there wasn't much help around at all. I was very glad it was my second so I had some idea what I was doing! Sharing with someone who was having frequent checks all through the night also wasn't ideal for recovery. I know this isn't everyone's experience, but for me the continuity of care and after birth care were much better in the private system.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you're looking for pros of going private, but i just wanted to say - don't be afraid of going public, either, if that ends up being what you do. I had a great public experience, with great continuity of care through a public midwifery group practice - the same midwife all the way along, and she continued to visit for about 6 weeks after the birth. I was not pushed out of hospital at all early either. I tell anyone who'll listen that i could not have paid for better care ☺

The Royal has a pretty good reputation for maternity - and I'm pretty sure has a midwifery group practice. So if it turns out you do go public, I'd recommend you get your name down for this asap. That program is great.

As for a shared room, I'm a person who likes their space, but i didn't have an issue sharing with someone else - a shared experience- we didn't chat much, but it felt like we'd really been through something together, and i often think fondly of her and wonder how she's getting on.

Yes, it would have been good if DP could stay though..

Just another perspective ☺

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pro's for going Private

Do you know what your local public is like? Mine is awful, so even though my husband would have preferred I go public I put my foot down. But he knows I'm the one who has to go through it all, so he was happy for me to make the decision.

I have fears about birth. I have heard so many people who went public and couldn't get an epidural because no one was there, they waited, waited then oops! too late! Fancy that! I don't want that to happen to me. I also don't want to be sent home the next day, I want more support than that. Lastly, I want the continuity of care that private offers and I've booked an OB with a calm, friendly manner.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hetty For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends a lot on the public hospital. My local public hospital is lovely. All private rooms, and ensuite bathrooms. Partners can stay if they choose. You can stay usually around 3 nights for an uncomplicated VB. I honestly cannot say a bad thing about it. It would rival any private hospital hands down. But if you are high risk, you hve to go to the big nasty city hospital, where you are treated like an object in a production line. You are given very low quality care, and then unceremoniously kicked out the door immediately after birth - they start asking you to leave 4 hours after the baby was out, & at absolute most, you can get 24 hours in a shared room. It just baffles me how two publicly funded maternity services can be such worlds apart in what they are able to provide. Why does the government fund one hospital so much better than the other?! Anyway, I digress... I would find out about the local hospitals, and the experiences of women birthing there, & see how you feel.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Pinklise  (05-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (04-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's definitely dependent on where you live and what the hospitals offer.
    Our private hospital has a really high c-section rate and other intervention rate, water births are not allowed, and the ob only turns up to the birth when you're pushing. No thanks. You can stay in hospital for 5 days afterwards, but that's my idea of a nightmare! After that 5 days you see your ob for a 6 week check up.

Public hospital:
    Can have caseload midwives if low risk. Can have antenatal apts at home, or in outreach centres (no need to go to the hospital). You know your midwife at the birth, you can homebirth. Water births are encouraged. The birth centre has a huge bath as the main focus in the room. You go home after 6 hours and the midwife comes to see you twice a day if required...postnatal care is offered for up to 6 weeks after baby is born if needed.
    You can have caseload midwives who work from the free standing birth centre, or the hospital.
    Public hospital suppprts breech vaginal births, maternal assisted c-sections, and water births. Private hospital supports none of those things.

Go and check out your local hospitals and see what care they provide. You might then both agree. With my first I believed I'd get better care at the private and was upset I didn't have private health for obstetrics. I was so glad in the end. I had the same midwife for all my babies. My experience was nothing short of wonderful.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (04-04-2017),JustJaq  (04-04-2017),Pinklise  (05-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (05-04-2017)