+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please reply - too much to deal with tonight

I just need some supportive words. Tonight is a nightmare.

I got out of varicose vein surgery this morning in extreme pain. I arrived home in shock, as in dead white, on endone and I couldn't stop shaking from the pain. My surgery had been hopelessly delayed the night before so I didn't get to the ward until 10pm, then discharged after a sleepless night at 10.30 this morning.

I had no sleep the night before because my baby had gastro and was vomiting all night. I spent that night sitting on the hardwood floor next to her cot.

Now I'm home and DH has gastro and can't stop vomiting. The baby still won't sleep and now DS has been up for the last hour with nosebleeds. I'm in a lot of pain from my surgery and this is my third night with no sleep.

I don't know how to make it through tonight and tomorrow. My family don't help when there's gastro in the house. I literally don't know how I can deal with this.

I know no one can help and I know some parents have chronically sick kids and they do this all the time. I'm sorry if I sound pathetic but I just can't deal tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds like an absolute nightmare! I'm so sorry you don't have anyone to help.... sorry I can't be helpful either....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please reply - too much to deal with tonight

Oh my goodness, what a tough situation. I wish you had people who could help - gastro is just horrible, plus sleep deprivation and pain on top of that, no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed. Remember though that gastro will pass quickly so you will get through it. Maybe lie bub on multiple towels so it's easy to just pick up the top one rather than changing sheets (it's what I ended up doing with mine earlier this week - we had run out of clean sheets by that stage so didn't have a choice!)?
    Sorry I wish I had some advice or could do something to help but all I can say is that it will get better xxx

ETA sorry realised bub is probably over the gastro now. Can you pop bub in the pram to rock to sleep? If you can push the pram around you can get to your DS and might be easier on your body while you recover. I hope you've got some painkillers to take x
    Last edited by misstrouble; 01-04-2017 at 22:43.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responding hon. That does help. I just feel really alone tonight and I can't sleep because I keep waiting for the next thing to go wrong. I've also been snappy at poor sick DH but I just have no energy to deal with him too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just stop and breathe. Take each hour as it happens. Caring for kids with gastro is awful enough on its own without everything else you have going on.

Endone doesnt work for everyone unfortunately (doesnt work for me like most pain meds). Can you call the hospital and see if you can increase to 10mg instead of 5 (i am guessing you are on 5mg as most people are).

I hope you can get some rest shortly as sleep deprivation is the pitts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awful. I'm so sorry.

It *will* pass though, and hopefully soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh that sounds so tough. Sending big virtual hugs. It's so hard when you have a bug like that in the house (let alone just having had surgery) and everyone wants to steer clear.
    Can you get home Dr out for DH maybe an injection to stop vomiting?
    Can you co-sleep with ds and baby? Even if you have them in the bed with you so you can doze might help.
    The only other thing that might help is knowing it will be short lived from now and just get through hour by hour.
    Hopefully DH is better soon and can help you and you get some rest. Take care x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I'm so glad people replied. It does make me calmer. The endone seems to be working now but i tried earlier surviving without it because the kids are all over the shop tonight and it makes me nauseous and dopey.

I was short tempered with mum and dad tonight too. They kept saying they're worried about me and here for me, but they're not when the kids are sick. I understand and respect why but I just can't listen to that tonight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (01-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Oh my gosh that sounds so tough. Sending big virtual hugs. It's so hard when you have a bug like that in the house (let alone just having had surgery) and everyone wants to steer clear.
    Can you get home Dr out for DH maybe an injection to stop vomiting?
    Can you co-sleep with ds and baby? Even if you have them in the bed with you so you can doze might help.
    The only other thing that might help is knowing it will be short lived from now and just get through hour by hour.
    Hopefully DH is better soon and can help you and you get some rest. Take care x
    Home doc might be an idea! I wonder if they do injections. I'm sleeping on the couch so no co sleeping unfortunately plus I think DD is the only bubba on the planet who won't co sleep!

All of you are right, though. Short lived. I need to keep remembering that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really feel for you! It sounds awful. Hopefully your DH fells better soon and doesn't share it with you so you can get some decent rest.

My DH was away recently and me, DS, and DD got sick with an awful head cold - not as bad as gastro but my DS has terrible sleep at the best of times so I was operating on about 4 hours of broken sleep per night for 2 weeks, sick for half of that. It feels like hell at the time and I absolutely loathed DH for being away.

I know how you feel about your parents too. My in-laws always say they want to help but if the kids even have a cold they are reluctant as their other grandkids are always at their house and they don't want them to get sick. I totally get it, but it still sucks sometimes.